iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magnolia lumber

Started by Larry, December 23, 2021, 09:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

A guy brought in three big magnolia logs for me to live edge slab today.  The butt log looked about like a dowel, 30" in diameter and 10' long.  Second log was still straight but smaller, and the third has a big curve with crotches.  The tree was just dropped a few days ago.

Don't think I've ever sawed magnolia.  Is the lumber interesting?  Since I never saw it, thought I might try to barter to get one of the slabs.  It sorta looks like it might have some ambrosia in it.  Anything to watch out for when sawing?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

It's cold so at least you should not have any mildew problems so maybe it will stay white.  It could have some black streaks around the knots and in the center. 

I have a sorta monster in my future, 40"+ .  ::)  :-\  I saw it as the customer wishes with no recommendations regarding the sawing pattern and have never had any followup regarding how any projects turned out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

I seem to remember the grain figure looked like a peanut and the smell after it was dry and while planing was like popcorn.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Nomad

I cut a fair amount of it.  Saws easy.  Sometimes it's got chocolate streaks in the heartwood.  The customer I usually cut it for says she can't keep it in stock it sells so fast.  Most of the time I'm just cutting live edge slabs for her.  The slabs are air dried at a minimum before sale, unless the customer wants it "right now" and understands the issues with that.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

Has a grain very similar to yellow poplar because yellow poplar is in the magnolia family.  The grain is a bit more pronounced in magnolia, though.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

That's a beautiful table and interesting.  I assume you made it. 8)

I can see that I should take care to have the pith level when I slab it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

WDH

Actually a customer made it.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

Getting to mill a magnolia log this week.  Owner was please with 24" live edged 5/4, 8/4 and 6/4 slabs.  Pretty wood.  

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Larry

It was a gorgeous day with the temperature up in the 70's so I decided to knock out the magnolia.

This was probably the best log as far as figure.  Notice the rings, the tree grew like crazy for the first 20 years and than really slowed down for some reason.  Not as good figure as the one WDH showed, but I think interesting. 

I love sawing the stuff.  Easy sawing and the cut surface was almost as smooth as what I get out of a planer.

This is an example of what I call "rescue logs".  They came from a neighborhood of very old and large houses.  It has many big trees and as they die the folks know to get them to me the day the tree service cuts them down. 

WDH

Beautiful Larry.  I told you that the "grain" was stronger than yellow poplar, otherwise, very similar to yellow poplar in all respects as to sawing but the heartwood is more of a chocolate brown instead of green.  I really like it.  I have some very beautiful air dried slabs that need to go into the kiln. 

BTW, one of our hardwood climax species is magnolia. 

Clark

I rather like the look of the magnolia lumber.

I know very little about the tree but we have planted some in town and my brief experience with them is that they put on diameter like crazy when they are young. Which mirrors what you have in that picture. 

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!