iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Scale

Started by Junior437t, September 16, 2004, 06:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior437t

I recently saw a "chart" that told how someone saws with a bandmill using the inch scale that allowed for the blade kerf. I went through the post back to page 25 and could not find it. Could someone point me in the right direction? What I am getting at, is that I might want to make a couple 1 inch cuts and then a 4 inch cut and then a 2 inch cut. I know I could use a rule and measure but that takes time. Thanks.

ronwood

Junior437t,

Below is a table that I created in Excel. The first row is the kerf with is set at 1/8. The second row is the desired thickness of the board. Each row adds on the kerf plus the desired board thickness. The last column gives you a count of the number of boards.

Example:

Go to the 3rd column for 1 in boards. If  the cant is at least 3 1/4 in thick I am able to get 3 one in boards.

Hope that helps. If anyone would like the spreadsheet I could send it to you. Jeff would there be anyway to include this in your toolbox. Not sure why the table went so far down the post.

Ron  

1/8     1/8     1/8     1/8    Boards  
  3/4     7/8   1         3          1  
 1  5/8    1  7/8    2  1/8    6  1/8    2  
 2  1/2    2  7/8    3  1/4    9  1/4    3  
 3  3/8    3  7/8    4  3/8    12  3/8    4  
 4  1/4    4  7/8    5  1/2    15  1/2    5  
 5  1/8    5  7/8    6  5/8    18  5/8    6  
 6          6  7/8    7  3/4    21  3/4    7  
 6  7/8    7  7/8    8  7/8    24  7/8    8  
 7  3/4    8  7/8    10          28          9  
 8  5/8    9  7/8    11  1/8    31  1/8    10  
 9  1/2      10  7/8    12  1/4    34  1/4    11  
 10  3/8    11  7/8    13  3/8          12  
 11  1/4    12  7/8    14  1/2          13  
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

MrMoo

Junior,
I end up figuring this stuff in my head. The rule of thumb is you have the total thickness of your boards plus the number of sawkerfs. The number of sawkerfs is the number of boards minus 1.
For your example you have:
1 + 1 + 4 + 2 = 8 inches for total thinkness of boards.
you have 4 boards which means 3 saw kerfs.
Cant height = 8 + 3/8.

It gets more interesting as the cant gets bigger.

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum...

I see you're running a WM LT40 Super

Just tack one of these on top and let it do the figgurein'

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ronwood

Bibbyman,

Do you think it is worth spending the money for the Accuset if your sawing partime. Have been thinking about it as my next upgrade on my LT40HG25

Thanks
Ron

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Kevin_H.

Hey ron I have the simple setworks on mine, and I think it is well worth the money.

When I bought my mill, I got the setworks at the same time, but for what ever reason they were not installing them yet, so I sawed for the first month with out the computer.

I noticed a big improvement in the sawing rate. most of the time I dont even have to look at the scale until I am down close to the deck.

Well worth the money IMO.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Bibbyman

I think Accuset is a real asset on the models with the Command Control option.   It would not be possible to read the scale stick on the sawhead.   Also,  if you're doing a lot of pattern sawing – as in making board out of the outside of a log and making a RR tie, post, or resaw cant out of the middle.  

Once you get the hang of programming Accuset (made a lot easier in the newest revisions) and get comfortable at pokin' the buttons when you need and want to, I'd say it speeds up the sawing rate around 10%.  Maybe more.

The Accuset has a lot more feature and works on a different principle than the Simple Setworks.

I posted some notes on running the Accuset on the Knowlege base.  In case you'd like to read more ..

I think Accuset is a real asset on the models with the Command Control option.   It would not be possible to read the scale stick on the sawhead.   Also,  if you're doing a lot of pattern sawing – as in making board out of the outside of a log and making a RR tie, post, or resaw cant out of the middle.  

Once you get the hang of programming Accuset (made a lot easier in the newest revisions) and get comfortable at pokin' the buttons when you need and want to, I'd say it speeds up the sawing rate around 10%.  Maybe more.

The Accuset has a lot more feature and works on a different principle than the Simple Setworks.
Using the Wood-Mizer Accuset Setworks

I fixed the link so now it works ... ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!