iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Maintenance/Repairs

Started by Magicman, February 23, 2023, 04:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

I to have wrenches hanging in several locations. My favorite combination wrench is the Williams super wrench and i have those in the sawmill up to 2". There is nothing metric in the sawmill and picker trucks are too old for metric. That helps. When ever I see adjustable 'cresent' wrenches I buy them and get laughed at. I have things bolted with large square head bolts where these knuckle busters work fine but they are so handy for bending. things

Southside

I find it useful to keep my metric adjustable wrenches in a separate drawer than the SAE ones. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

have to remember to turn the little screwy thing the opposite direction when south of the equator.  smiley_beertoast
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rusticretreater

yeah, its pretty difficult working on things at the equator.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

barbender

I love crescent wrenches. There, I said it.
Too many irons in the fire

LeeB

I always kinda identified with a cresent wrench. 'Fits anywhere and will slip off on you when you need it most. '
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

moodnacreek

I also have square sockets. Kinda square myself.

doc henderson

kind of like Channel locks and vise grips.  work on anything, or nothing, depending on how you were raised.   ffcool ffcheesy
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

How do y'all organize left handed wrenches and screwdrivers?  Seems like I have a mixed set of right and left handed tools!

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SawyerTed

All my axes, sledge hammers, shovels, bush axes and rakes MUST be left handed, they don't fit my hands too well anymore. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

I used to (and probably till do) have an adjustable wrench which I don't know where it came from, but it was a cheapy. On one side it said the range was 0-1" and on the other side it said the range was 0-25mm. I guess it don't know how to identify. ffsmiley I always told folks that used it it was metric if you used it left handed and English if you used it right handed. This often made the new young guys stop and think for a minute. ffcheesy
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

Quote from: LeeB on February 19, 2024, 05:55:55 PMWhat was the outcome on the relay?
Lee, the Glow Plug relay is Part# ED0021931340-S, and I ordered from OEM.  I got a shipping notice this morning and I will let you know how this works out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

In "for real" torque and wrenching situations, I will get the appropriate tools. But I tell you what, I have a little 4" crescent wrench that rides on my Learherman case. I may be heavier for all of the walking that that little guy has saved me over the years. It opens up to ½", gets used daily, and I develop an immediate nervous twitch if I misplace it.

Running forwarder, sometimes a hose or something will fail up on the boom. The only way to access it is to swing it over one of the wood piles so you can climb up on the pile. Well climbing a wood pile isn't always the safest of easiest thing, so you want to minimize trips for tools. Plus, in that situation you don't want any more tools than necessary up there. If you drop one...does anyone remember Plinko Chips from The Price Is Right? :huh? So a crescent will always be up their with me, it works better than the 22mm that us still down in the toolbox.

There is also a big difference in capability from a quality crescent vs an El cheapo one.
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

most guys around here carry the little two notch plyers and use them for almost anything.  In fact, do not bother telling them it won't work, cause they will make it work just to prove you wrong.  they love their little plyers and leather case.  a farmer I worked for required us to have that with a screwdriver stuck in there as well between the handles, in order for us to work for him.

jpassardi

Quote from: barbender on February 20, 2024, 12:50:31 PMIn "for real" torque and wrenching situations, I will get the appropriate tools. But I tell you what, I have a little 4" crescent wrench that rides on my Learherman case. I may be heavier for all of the walking that that little guy has saved me over the years. It opens up to ½", gets used daily, and I develop an immediate nervous twitch if I misplace it.

My Father was a Carpenter and always carried a 4" adjustable and same size pliers.
Many times we'd be working on something and he'd hand one of them to me to get the job done without having to run for a tool. I miss the Ole' Man.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Magicman

Quote from: LeeB on February 19, 2024, 05:55:55 PMWhat was the outcome on the relay?
The replacement Glow Plug Relay came yesterday.
IMG_5209.JPG
$135.85 total with shipping, ordered from:
IMG_5210.JPG
The searching that I did indicates that they have a good stock of Lombardini/Kohler parts.
IMG_5211.JPG
I love my direct wired full time voltmeter which gives me a constant voltage reading.  When it reads 12.7 or higher I know that my sawmill battery is OK.

IMG_5212.JPG
When the glow plugs are energized the voltage drop is an instant indication that the glow plug relay has operated.
IMG_0182.JPG
With the engine running it will read 14+ volts showing the the alternator is doing it's job.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

Because I live in the land of metric, beside a country that is still sae, we discovered that you can use metric  to replace an sae, but not sae on metric. Saves walking back to the tool box.
Tom I really like those wrenches on nails, I am going to set that up in may shop and at home, I have lots of wrenches laying around. I bet I have 6 1/2" in my 1 toolbox.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

TimW

Adjusted my head tilt for the first time today.  Wow, that was way easy. ffcool   It is amazing how a little tweet squares it up. ffwave
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Thank You Sponsors!