iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel barrel

Started by Bruno of NH, April 27, 2019, 03:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I have had a tractor for 25 years but have never had a transfer tank.
I got a oil barrel from the Cat mechanic and saved up some cash and got a hand pump.
I put this together this morning while it was raining .
No more 5gal buckets 8)
I know it's not a fancy one but it will work for me.

I'm going to get a set up for my ethanol free gas for the new mill and edger. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

btulloh

Nice. And handy. No need for fancy.
HM126

Chuck White

I have a JD 1023E tractor and in the lean-to where it gets parked, I have a barrel with a handpump, essentially like yours and it works just fine!

Don't need anything too fancy!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

garyfg

I have used barrels like that before. If left in the rain water will seep around pump and bung plug. After the water gets up to  pump pipe in the tractor tank it goes. 

Bruno of NH

The pump is faster than I expected. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

It's will leak even with pipe dope on all the treads ?

Bruno of NH

The fill bung has a rubber washer on it also.
Now I don't know if I made the right choice for a tank.

barbender

Make sure the threads are sealed up tight and you should be ok. It's really no different than the transfer tank in my pickup. I think the main thing is to be using enough fuel that condensation doesn't start to accumulate. We've had issues when we've had big remote jobs and the boss had a 1000 gallon tank on a trailer he had us pull out to the job. The first day we used it, that fuel shut half the crew down. It got water in it from sitting. We all have transfer tanks in our woods trucks, and they typically get cycled every 2-3 days. I've never had any contamination with my transfer tank. Just make sure it's topped off if it has to sit for a while.
Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

I will try and add silicone around the pump base and the fill bung

btulloh

Best to not let the water pond up on top of the barrel and sit.  If it's under a roof, that won't be a problem of course.  Hopefully the pickup tube is 3 or 4 inches off the bottom and there's a filter 
HM126

Jim_Rogers

Better get a fuel type placard or you could get a fine from a DOT cop.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

luap

My first thought is- The warming and cooling of the sun will alternately expand and contract the air in the barrel. When it contracts it will be pulling a vacuum and pull the air into the barrel  past the threads and over time moisture in the air will condense in the barrel. Keeping the barrel out of the sun and frequent emptying  will help. Even with sealant there are not enough threads to make the seal under a vacuum. I just saw an article where some one was arrested hauling  a fuel barrel in vehicle. Does this barrel have any dot approval rating?

luap

I apologize for the bold letters in my last post. I don't know what key or sequence of keys that did that. Did not intend to do that 

Bruno of NH

Lots of folks around here have barrel tanks like this.
I see them at the fuel station I buy my gas and diesel from

hacknchop

We often just make a stand for them to sit on that is 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch higher on the one side keep the bung on the high side and it helps to steer what little water accumulates away from the bottom of the pump.
Often wrong never indoubt

luap

Quote from: Bruno of NH on April 27, 2019, 04:04:34 PM
It's will leak even with pipe dope on all the treads ?
Maybe in practice it won't leak. I tend to get wrapped up in technical details. The threads are national pipe threads which depend on the taper to seal. Teflon tape or pipe dope is a lubricant to allow you to tighten to engage more threads and higher on the taper. A barrel bung has what, 4 threads?
 I had a few barrels of hydraulic  oil stored out side but covered. I wondered why the grass was getting killed around the barrels. I opened them up and I had no oil left. All water in the barrels. I don't know how long it took

moodnacreek

When it gets cold the barrel can vacuum in water sitting on top. That's the biggest problem with barrels. Back in the day there would be a side bung so you could lay it down in a cradle and avoid the trapped surface water. Keep your eyes open for a truck saddle tank.

Southside

Well, I am presuming you will fill this with gas. Just be aware of the whole ethanol issue with gas that sits around too long. Maybe best to just plan on adding some stabilizer and dry gas each time you fill it up, just a couple bucks and still way more convenient than dealing with gas cans. FYI it is not going to be DOT compliant, so any stickers you add to it will only draw more attention. Best to fill it up on weekends and after dark, never know when someone needs  to write one more summons that month.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tom the Sawyer

Gasoline in containers more than 8 gallons will get you in serious trouble.  Diesel tanks can go up to 110 gallons.  It is not just a case of following the law, it can be extremely dangerous.  Trooper explained that I could have multiple 5 gallon cans of gasoline - no problem.  Any container larger than 8 gallons requires additional insurance, and special placarding.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

jimparamedic

A heavy duty trash bag or something like a grill cover helps a lot. And as others have said check with your state patrol on the regulations on transporting fuel. It may not be an issue in your state but if you go out of state it could be. And pleading ignorance is not an excuse (Trust me I've been in that boat) Ohio and West Virginia have very different regulations.

John Bartley

Two things come to mind ...

1) if you tilt the barrel slightly so that the two bungs are always above water and any rainwater runs off to the sloped side, you won't vacuum any into the barrel.   It won't take much of a tilt as the lip on the barrel is only about 1/2"

2)  that strap ain't holding anything if that barrel decides to go travelling with fuel in it.  Half full a barrel weighs 200lbs and fuel combined with UV will rot those straps in no time.  Get a chain, even if only as a loose backup.

cheers
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

WV Sawmiller

Better get a fuel type placard or you could get a fine from a DOT cop.

Jim Rogers

I guess I am at risk when I take 6-7 of my 5-6 gallon plastic gas cans and fill them at once as that probably exceeds to authorized limit for unmarked vehicles too.

I understand the UV deteriorating the strap but I'd worry about sparks from a chain. JMHO.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Al_Smith

You have to watch barrels full of gasoline and expansion due to heat .I'd imagine diesel fuel could be similar .It will pop the ends of the drum  like bubble gum if you don't allow some room for expansion . I don't know the legality of hauling drums ,never paid attention to it .If the farmers get away with it I suppose old Al could too .I'm not sure if they make some type of a pressure vent cap for an oil drum or not but that might be an option if they do .

Jim_Rogers

QuoteI'm not sure if they make some type of a pressure vent cap for an oil drum

He would need a vent of some kind or he'll have trouble with the pump pulling out the fuel. Unless the pump has one built in.
Jim Rogers
Back in the eighties, I worked for a home heating oil delivery company and we used to fill the trucks at the end of the day and then park them in a heated garage overnight. Well, one day the mechanic who used that garage all day long fixing things was not happy when he got in one morning. It seems that one of the other drivers filled his truck to the cap, and it expanded overnight and pushed the extra fuel oil out and it ran down the roof catwalk to the drains and onto his floor. He had a big mess to clean up, let alone the smell.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

moodnacreek

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on April 27, 2019, 11:59:10 PM
Gasoline in containers more than 8 gallons will get you in serious trouble.  Diesel tanks can go up to 110 gallons.  It is not just a case of following the law, it can be extremely dangerous.  Trooper explained that I could have multiple 5 gallon cans of gasoline - no problem.  Any container larger than 8 gallons requires additional insurance, and special placarding.
I thought that one 55 gallon barrel [of gasoline] was the only exception to most rules.

Thank You Sponsors!