iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Million bf member of Woodmizer

Started by booman, May 05, 2019, 12:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

booman

Just wondering how one determines if one is a million bf member for Woodmizer.   I have been sawing for 17 years but dont know how to calculate how many bf I have sawn.
2019 LT15G25WIDE, 2013 LT35HDG25, Stihl MS880 with 59" bar with Alaskan sawmill attachment.  John Deere 5045 tractor with forks, bucket and grapple.  Many chainsaws.

Magicman

I had/have every sawing receipt from every job that I have ever sawn so it was a matter of going through them and adding the totals.  My sawing hours on my sawmill helped to cross reference and verify that my totals matched.  My yearly income $$ totals as well as my blade usage verified the bf totals.  Taken together, all of the above items cross-referenced and supported each other. 

Do a forum search to find additional information.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I keep a sawing history and record every time I saw. I find this is also interesting and helpful to compare my hourly rates which is handy if you decide you need to have an hourly and bf rate for charging your customers. If anyone asked I could immediately show him what my normal hourly bf rate is, because I include mill hours with bf cut, to justify what I would normally have expected to cut vs his small, short dirty quartersawn logs.

I am a long way from the million but maybe one of these days...
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

The application just asks you to state that you have sawed a million bf. Honor system. I now know I have and then some from records I have kept, not complete since I charge hourly, but complete enough to extrapolate from engine hours and fuel usage that I am considerably over and confident of the numbers. I think I could satisfy an audit from them but don't expect they'll ask. What's holding me up is getting a good pic of me with the mill, don't feel photogenic. 😆😂
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

The request application that you initially send in does simply ask the question.  The three page application that is then sent to you is very detailed and asks multiple questions and accounting methods. It details not only your bf records, but maintenance, blade usage, income, etc.

terrifictimbersllc

Thanks for the heads up on that, wasn't aware.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ljohnsaw

MM,
So it took you a little over 10 years to hit the first million.  You are coming up on 7 years since then and you were doing that massive job for the condos.  How close are you to your second million today?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Dave Shepard

I seem to recall Mr. Tom, before I joined the Forum, had sawed a million feet, but didn't have good records. So, he sawed another million, and kept better track the second time. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

Well, if I ever get there I won't be able to tell the blade usage because I don't capture that. That can go back and look at my purchase history if they want it as they all come from them and go back for resharp. I do have good maintenance records for my 50 hour services and such if they can read it through the grease stains and such. The BF is detailed by day, bf cut, species and nature of what was cut.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

I have 2 coats. one for 100.000 and a million bf club.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

I have no idea how much I've sawed, I don't keep any records of that.  I did at one time, but got lazy, I'm sure I've done a board foot or two, but other than that, all I know is I did a couple packs of cherry today and hopefully some walnut tomorrow.  I'm glad you guys kept on the records though, it's a goal to be recognized for sure. You should all be proud.  

Congratulations to all you high flyers.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Quote from: ljohnsaw on May 05, 2019, 07:00:03 PM
MM,
So it took you a little over 10 years to hit the first million.  You are coming up on 7 years since then and you were doing that massive job for the condos.  How close are you to your second million today?
John, my sawing income has steadily gone upward which is a strong indicator that I have surpassed the 2MM mark.  Again, hourly rate would have to be factored back to get a fairly accurate figure but I have no interest in knowing.  My blade usage is easy because I use Wood-Mizer Resharp, but broken/nail blades are never returned so even that is not 100%.
I actually have 4 jackets.  Mine for 100M and 1MM, plus I was given our late FF member, wwsjr (Willie Steele)'s two jackets which I regularly wear with pride.

jimparamedic

I've always heard the first million is the hardest. So why not skip it and go right to the second million. All jokes aside GREAT JOB Guys.

moodnacreek

longtime lurker

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Sixacresand

One million!  that is a lot of trips down the rail and back.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Chuck White

I'm not there yet, but I am well over half way!

I save receipts, record board footage, keep record of parts and repairs!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!