iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do yall do with sawdust

Started by Taylortractornut, February 23, 2012, 08:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

While saw dust is acidic the reversal is that wood ash is alkaline .

I had evidently forgotten what I learned in high school chemistry and foolishly mixed in a liberal amount of wood ash in one of my raised  bed gardens . Worst tomatoes I ever had until I moved the bed and replaced the top soil .For some reason the weeds did okay though. :(

Fixed it,last summer was by far the  best .No more wood ash on the garden  for me .

Magicman

Ashes are also high in Potash.  It seems that whatever we have an abundance of is never what we need.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Well in Maine we needed everything that was in the ashes. God blessed Maine with a lot of things, but a generous dousing of good topsoil was not one of them. At least our part of Maine.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

They don't have any trouble up in the potato belt of Maine. Much the same as my area, about the best soil you'd want. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Oh this is good soil,some of the best .I just erred greatly with what I  tried to do with it .

Learned a little lesson though .Had two tomato plants I'd ran out of room for so I stuck them in my wifes flower bed that was heavily mulched with wood chips .Early girls mind you that never get really big .My heavens they had vines 9 feet high on stakes and tomatoes the size of a beef steak variety  .

The old gal got a big kick out of that .The city girl knew more than the country bumkin about soil evidently . :D

Taylortractornut

I cant bury containers at the landfill and some wise acre in the the  plant chunked some tin 5 callon cans and  a few gallon paint buckets.       I put them in the truck and  ran them to the shop to put them in a scrap bin.        I had a hole saw  in the drill so on break I drill a 1 3/4  hole in the bottom of the pain can and   an air vent  and exhaust in the   5 gallon can then lit it and put a lid on the the top of the 5 gallon can.     It took a bit to get going but the gallon  can burnt  for 3 and a half hours.   

I found a 500 gallon stubby tank and a 200 gallon stubby tank.   I may mak a bigger burner with a water heater coil in it to assist in warming the house.
My overload permit starts after sunset

bandmiller2

Taylor,sounds like a plan,what you will need is two, one running and the outher cooling and getting refilled.If youy get those circular mills you will have more sawdust than you know what to do with.An average log will give you a good wheelbarrel full of dust. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!