iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E Classic owners

Started by wood 4 heat, January 31, 2010, 12:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJ

I would buy the e-classic again.  It does not take 2 years to season the wood, if it is stacked properly early summer.
Even buying wood from fire wood processor, it still is almost 1/2 the cost of equivalent oil.

I was burning 1000 gal of oil, in heating season.  It takes about 6-8 cord for a heating season.
OIL:      $2.80/gal = $2800 per season.
WOOD: $175/cord (processed) = $1400 per season.

Or I buy tree length for $90/cord + more work (no gym fees for me) = $720 per season

CB gives a 25year warranty, so I have no question I am saving $$$.
I made my decision 3 yrs ago, when oil spiked upto $3.70/gal.   It will be there again.

JJ

jeff4955

This is my third season and I would do it again. Now that all of us owners of these stoves have worked out all of the bugs for CB. The new ones are really good. CB is also coming out with another stove called the 3200 which is supposed to work even better yet.

doctorb

I save, I believe, about $2500 per year when compared to heating my house with oil.  The twice daily feedings and the periodic maintenance have not been a burden.  Seems to be working well 2 months into my second year of use.  I would do it again.  doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Dean186

Quote from: jeff4955 on December 21, 2010, 12:18:31 AM
CB is also coming out with another stove called the 3200 which is supposed to work even better yet.

My dealer has already sold 3 of the E-Classic 3200.  They are very large units for businesses or large homes with shops or someone that only wants to put wood in every third day or so.

SaltFarm

I would not...

I haven't posted much on this board, but use it all the time to trouble shoot what is going to go wrong on my eclassic 3500  I have been through 3 star boards (in the first year) countless solenoids, and it is one problem after another.  Fortunately I am mechanical, but if I billed my hourly time for trying to fix or clean the the thing without question it would be cheaper for me to just use oil...

I have 50 acres of hard oak, my wood is good, but my Central Boiler eClassic 3500 has been nothing but problems... I also learned that not all the parts one would think should be covered are.

If they would take it back it would have been gone a long time ago...

doctorb

SaltFarm-

eclassic 3500?  I can't find any info on that model.  Could you have mis-posted the CB model?

I found your post interesting.  Knock on wood, I still have my original firestar computer and all solenoids on my stove are original.  I've upgraded the door, changed the gasket a few times, just had the kit for the air chamber cracks installed, but I have not had the problems you describe.  Now, in my sixth heating season, I would still do it again.

I just read your other post and found that you had a 3200.  Seems like you were having trouble back in November that has not improved.  Is this your first year with the stove?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

sam-tip

I would have to say I don't think I would buy E classic again.  The first three years with a E3200 has been a pain.   Making it burn without smoke was difficult.  It does not like hard wood.  Loves maple and other soft woods.  But if you age your oak to dustiness oak is great.   This fourth year has been wonderful but I have done some special mods between the burn chambers.  Further separating the primary and secondary chamber.  All last summer I studied the physics and chemistry of gasification.  I now think E3200 design is flawed.   
I have lost to much sleep trying to figure the E3200 out to be happy.  Just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The best part of owning a wood stove is the fellow wood burners that I have met.  Great people!  My kind of people.
Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

bobby s

5th season here with a 2300. Mine came with factory upgrades to firebox, door and reaction chamber.
After a steep learning curve, it's performed very well. Smokes a little on startup, then is gassing within a few minutes. I've replaced 2 solenoids and usually change the door gasket each year. Mines loves dry hard wood such as oak, beech and sugar maple.
After the $1500.00 tax credit, I paid $6850.00. I would buy another one at that price. If I had to pony up 10-12k for a new one, I'd probably consider a Portage and Main or Heatmaster.

k7776s2001

What is different about the CB3200 than the CB2400 ?   I burn all oak pretty much and have never had an issue.  Most of the time my wood is stacked and split about 12-18 months ahead of time. I have the E-Classis 2400.
CB E2400

doctorb

The difference is mostly in size of the unit, which leads to longer burn times.  The overall principle as to how they work and are controlled are the same.  You can check out CB's website where a side by side comparison is available. 

boilerman101

I've burned my Eclassic 2400 now since 2010. Its been great, I have not had to replace any parts on it.
I put the XP wifi unit on it so I can monitor water temps and reaction chamber temps from cell phone.
Had to upgrade to a Firestar 2 to do so.
History charts are great on the computer. Wouldn't be without it.

upsnake

Boilerman - What was the cost of the upgrade?
I have a 1400 with the older board on it.

The new options look really cool.

boilerman101

Dealer gave me $150 trade in for my Firestar 1 so new Firestar 2 cost me $300 and $200 for XP wifi unit. Not cheap but I'll enjoy it for years and well worth it so far.

Logging logginglogging

I bought my e-2300 used for only 1 year and half price, so I didn't really have a choice. But if something happened to it I would buy one new in a second. Its been great and love it.
Don't really care what the EPA says I would have another central boiler model if that was the same deal and I would be using that. If they have a problem, with outdoor stoves and ban them when I am ready for a new one Ill build my own and burn nothing but tires in it!!

Thank You Sponsors!