iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

$$$ Per BDFT for Black Cherry

Started by Corley5, May 28, 2013, 09:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I don't sell lumber.  I'm a logger  ;) ;D  I did however saw a whack of black cherry this spring with my own uses in mind.  I've got a friend who is interested in some of it for trim, baseboard and maybe some wainscoating in his new winery building.  The lumber in question is mill run, circle sawn.  I kept the grade up but didn't necessarily saw for the very best grade  ;) :)  I like knots in my lumber and Geoff wants character wood too.  So what's the going rate for mill run 1" cherry boards in widths from 4-10"  ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

QuoteSo what's the going rate for mill run 1" cherry boards in widths from 4-10" 

How good a friend is he?   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

the only thing I can say is if possible, have him there and watch the process, If money is not really an issue cut what he thinks he likes, knots cause issues with crooks and the like on thin boards that are not bound like flooring,  custom sawing is just what it is, custom, time and machine cost,  hope it all goes well for you,, david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Corley5

It's not a custom job it's already sawed and has been for a couple months.  A good enough friend that I don't want him to feel that he's been robbed  ;D  but I'm not giving my time and material away either  ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WDH

(I remember that cherry!)

$2.50/BF would be a good deal for your friend.  I would normally ask $3.00 - $4.00 per BF with the $3.00 being the #2 grade and the $4.00 being the FAS grade with $3.50 for #1.  However, it is hard to get good cherry logs here, and that might not be the case in Michigan. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jdtuttle

Here is a link to Michigan Stumpage price reports. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10368_22594-81536--,00.html. Add to that your cost to harvest & process the logs. Then you can add something for profit, or if he's a good friend trade for some wine.  :D
Jim

SAWLOGS (MBF, see general note 3)
AVG. PRICE
AT TIME OF
APPRAISAL
(BLACK
CHERRY
STATEWIDE 4 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 71.07% - - - - - - -7.18% $225.00 $600.00
Have a great day

bandmiller2

Corley,If he's a buddy couple of bucks a B/F  and take it out in trade,is his wine good.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!