iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

$18.90 bf for rough cut poplar

Started by WV Sawmiller, April 06, 2016, 07:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Sounds like a good price doesn't it. That's about what I estimate Lowes tomato stakes are selling(?) for when priced at $7.95 for a 5' long 1X1 sticker that I am certain was just tulip poplar.

Okay, I know that's not quite a fair as there is a lot more labor and handling in these small items compared to regular lumber or framing.

I started saving more of my 1X edgings to make stickers and decided to cut them into 6' stickers for tomato and bean stakes. Had saved a little of my 2X edgings for heavy duty stakes and cut them to 5' lengths. I don't have one of the fancy pencil sharpener point maker machines so I laid them down flat across a couple more stickers and cut them off at about a 45 degree angle with my circular saw. Actually if I were cutting 12' stickers I'd be cutting 2 at a time. I happened to be in our nearby Lowes (only an hour away) today and stopped by to check on their stakes to see if I was in the ball park. Wow - talk about sicker shock!

Not sure how well they will sell here but may take a few to local flea markets and see. Advertised some in a local trader paper. Will see if they sell or not. Can always cut them in half and make 3' stickers if they don't. I was thinking more like $5/dozen as that would be $.83/bf and I sell my poplar lumber for $.75/bf. Might have to go up because of the extra handling but may be a market for scrappy logs and my small salvaged ash logs.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dustyhat

Well you sure got my attention . but I really don't know much about tomato stakes.

etroup10

Don't sell yourself short, if people are willing to pay $7.95 at lowes for one, you can probably get more than $5/dozen. Maybe try $1 a stick and do a "deal" at $10/dozen? That's twice what your asking and still a good deal compared to the big box store. Good luck!
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

ncsawyer

I noticed our Lowes the other day had 1x12x6 poplar for $32.  That's $5.33/bdft.  I noticed because I had just cut a bunch of 1x12 poplar for some siding for my barn and was sure glad I didn't have to buy all that I needed from Lowe's. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Ohio_Bill

I have been making them for several years and they seem to sell very well. 

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

ncsawyer

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on April 06, 2016, 09:57:43 PM
I have been making them for several years and they seem to sell very well. 

How do you sharpen the ends?
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Verticaltrx

I agree with others, I would ask $1.00 ea, maybe more. You are selling yourself way short if you just ask near normal bf price for lumber that small. The time and labor per bf is much higher on stuff that small, plus your time for pointing them.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Thank You Sponsors!