iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gardening, 2012

Started by Okrafarmer, April 04, 2012, 09:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 12, 2012, 09:12:12 PM
You Canadians pull the combine behind the planter to save time, don't you?  ;D
I had to chuckle a little when I read that Okra, I think around here, before too long it will be the opposite, they'll be pulling the planter behind the combine  ::).

SwampDonkey

Okra, didn't need to explain it. We might be half frozen and tough, but we aren't thick headed.  ;D

As to the farming you make valid points, but I don't see their input costs being covered in what they produce. That's why I get suspicious. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 14, 2012, 05:07:35 AM
As to the farming you make valid points, but I don't see their input costs being covered in what they produce. That's why I get suspicious. ;)

They may not be making any money, but just like anything else, it depends on the markets. Also, when it is a farmer raising feed for his own animals, there are often things done in desperation that would not have passed in the old days. A lot of this is because of a lack of money for farmers due to bad markets, bad advice, govt interference, etc, and just fighting to survive many farmers' backs are against the wall, trying to get more years out of each piece of equipment, scrimping on inputs like fuel, fertilizer and 'cides, and not having enough money to pay for as much labor as in years past. It's a sad thing. When I was a toddler, there were 2,000 dairy farms in Maine, and now there are somewhere around 300, I believe.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Banjo picker

I finished bulding mine today...filled the bottom with creek sand and topped it off with composted horse manure...

planted 6 tomato plants this evening...If Taylor is planting that many, I shouldn't have bothered...but these will be handy...The deer won't be able to bother anything...all I have to do is figure out how to keep the bulldog out of it...There is a Holdem 57 that still works in the barn.. ;) 

This takes care of a drastic change in grade in that back corner...There is two 17inch tall bridge timbers stacked there...took a lot of sand. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Okrafarmer

Whatever you have to do. I wish I had some sand in my garden-- my soil packs hard when it dries.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WildDog on April 13, 2012, 04:59:45 AM
QuoteFrom what I remember, my pepper varieties are red bells, colored bells, bananas, cubanelles, jalapenos, Jamaican yellows (similar to Scotch bonnets), Kung Pao (similar to cayenne), and some others that I know I'm forgetting.

Dodgy thats a swag of peppers, I'm envious we can't seem to grow them here out in the open, my dad can but he's 5hrs away.

Yep, my wife and I love peppers. The two things that I grow that will never go to waste are peppers and potatoes. It's a good thing, too, because both peppers and potatoes seem to do OK in the shade. My garden only gets two or three hours of direct sunlight a day, so I suspect that my tomatoes and sweet corn will never be spectacular unless my wife lets me play "lumberjack" on the trees in our backyard ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Yeah I have a neighbor whose garden only gets morning sun. He has it right in close to a stand of cedars and of course his house lot is a stand of cedar all around the south and west.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

Compared to you guys my city garden isn't much but I am already eating from it!

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Norm

Patty

WOW! Looks great Raider. I know how much hard work has gone into that garden!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

I missed the chuck roast plant!  :D

SwampDonkey

Wow, it's a bigger garden than mine and 5 months ahead. I won't be planting until June. ;D

Raider Bill

Quote from: Norm on April 23, 2012, 04:11:12 PM
I missed the chuck roast plant!  :D

Sirloin tree!  Actually I grew all the herbs I used to marinate it in. A juicy tender 3 pounder!
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Norm

Sirloin was my second guess... :D

If Patty ever leaves me your in my top 10 list Bill....in a non-denominational way of course. :D

SwampDonkey

Anyone know a good type of spinach to use instead of lettuce? The earwigs get into my lettuce every year, not too appetizing.  :-\

WDH

Bill!

That is a fine garden  ;D.  I like your weed control plan, too.  You have put a lot of work in that garden and it shows!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Nice garden, Bill!

And here they are calling for frost again tonight.  :(

Nice pictures. And what was that rock with moss on it in the last picture???  :D It looked a little out of place with the garden pictures, but I'm sure you were going to tell us something about it?

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 23, 2012, 11:00:06 PM
Nice pictures. And what was that rock with moss on it in the last picture???  :D It looked a little out of place with the garden pictures, but I'm sure you were going to tell us something about it?

Oh, sorry, I missed seeing some posts. Silly me. I know better than that.

Road Runner

Okra,  I hope you missed the frost last night.  We had mid 30's here this morning, but no frost because of wind all night.  Hope you had the same luck.
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

chevytaHOE5674

Was 21* here this morning. Gardening is still a few weeks/months off UP here. ha

Raider Bill

Got chilly here too, I had to put socks on under my sandals and a t-shirt instead of tank top ;D

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Road Runner on April 24, 2012, 11:12:25 AM
Okra,  I hope you missed the frost last night.  We had mid 30's here this morning, but no frost because of wind all night.  Hope you had the same luck.

Thankfully, everything still looked green out there today.  :)  It was a close one, though.

I wish my okra would come up though. Think I have about 7 plants up in three rows.  :-\  Might have to replant it, it's been cool the last couple weeks and okra likes warm soil to pop up.

Patty

We planted our potatoes yesterday and today begins planting season on the farm. WhoooHooo! What an exciting time of year.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Okrafarmer

We planted sprouted supermarket potatoes, and they are growing very nicely.  ;D

Raider Bill

We are going to try and grow potatoes in stacked tires this year using straw as the medium. City farming has it's challenges.

Thank You Sponsors!