iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Douglas Fir Tops

Started by Firebass, May 20, 2007, 11:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebass

I recently got the pleasure to cut a large diameter Douglas fir.  The bottom of the tree was 36"and it is nearly 100' tall and totally dead.  I'm getting near the top of the tree where most the limbs are and they are fairly numerous.  My question is how to get the best yeild and what is the best lumber to cut from such a log.  The piece I'm talking about in particular is 16' x 22" diameter at the small end.
I hate to just make firewood out of it.
If you hang on a few I'll go take a photo.  We've got some fairly good thunder and lightning happening now. So I'm dodg'n the rain.

Firebass

Firebass

logwalker

If it was mine, and I do have a few like it, I would make a skookum post. Say about a 14"x14" and start it drying in the shade. After you get the jacket slabs off you will see better what you have. Later you may cut it again after you find a specific use for it. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Brucer

95% of my work is for a timber framer, and he uses D-Fir almost exclusively. When I get a top like that, I do what logwalker suggests and make a square timber out of it.

You can usually get away with larger knots in a post (vertical member) than in a beam (horizontal member). When possible, I try to get the biggest knots in the center of a face.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!