iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clark 664 transmission filter

Started by BurkettvilleBob, February 04, 2017, 09:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BurkettvilleBob

I have a friend with a 664 and he said he can't start it in the cold because the transmission filter will shoot off. Happened once last winter, milky fluid, changed filter and fluid. Happened again this winter, fluid is milky again, discovered after Trans filter popped off. I realise water is obviously getting into the transmission, but is it normal for the filter to fly off?

David-L

What model clark tranny is in this machine. No experience really with them but have one in a 240b timberjack. Just curious.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

BurkettvilleBob

I don't know what transmission it has, never looked closely at the machine. I can assume that water is freezing in or near the filter.

Neilo

If the filter is full of ice and any bypass valve is iced as well, the pump is probably making a lot of pressure.

treeslayer2003

it should have a cartridge filter, if so and it ever blew off once, the housing is toast.

rockwall

BurkettvilleBob

He did say it trashed the housing the second time it happened.

rockwall

The Wanderer

Plenty of Clark Ranger tranny filters have blown off or cracked the housing in the cold without a proper warmup.
Roy Saari

treeslayer2003

David-L

Quote from: The Wanderer on February 09, 2017, 06:31:11 PM
Plenty of Clark Ranger tranny filters have blown off or cracked the housing in the cold without a proper warmup.
I have a three speed clark tranny in the 240. Even though the charge pump gauge says go I warm it up for awhile. You can tell by the sound when shes warm.

cutbank

Hi There don't mean to hijack thread but my 664c will no move or barely move when cold. i changed the cartridge type filter to a spin on and have a pressure gauge fixed to torque converter that reads 240 psi , is the problem with the charge pump or is the filter too fine that the machine will not move .

David-L

Quote from: The Wanderer on February 09, 2017, 06:31:11 PM
Warm up in cold is critical in my opinion on the Clarks. 15 minutes with it sending power to the winch.

mike_belben

Dang thats a lotta warmup.  Cigarette lighter and a hair dryer anyone?

;D
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!