iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone have recommendations for what breed for “guard “ dog

Started by HemlockKing, May 31, 2021, 01:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Given your location you could consider a St Bernard as well.  Back when the Beethoven movies were all the rage way too many people got Saints who never should have had them, I ended up doing a lot of foster and placement work with them, probably had 20 over the years.  True they are short lived but I did have a couple that made it to 11 and 13.  

Just by their size they are intimidating.  A friend came over for the first time and I had told him to let me put the dogs up before he got out of his car.  He got there and said one of the saints was looking at him though the drivers window and they were face to face - no way he was getting out of the vehicle with that giant head right there.  Truth be told that dog was a massive teddy bear, but being 150+ lbs, looked more like a Grizzly when only a thin piece of glass separated him from you.  His bark would vibrate your chest, so really no fear of someone getting hurt, but plenty of noise alert, and intimidation factor.  He loved to swim in my pond and would spend all day in there in the summer.  

If we were still up north I would have one or two for sure.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I don't know if any of our three dogs are stand outside on their own, but together my gosh no one is sneaking up to the door!😂😂 Man they can make a racket! We have Walt the Pug/Boston Terrier, Miya the Corgi, and Scout the Mini Aussie/Heeler. Walt and Miya are pretty harmless and no threat to an intruder other than the noise, but Scout definitely displays some of that heeler temperament, you know, the reason you don't reach in the back of a ranch pickup in Wyoming and try to pet the dog. He is very attached to me, I have to be careful when working around the yard because he follows me around all day- right by my side. Have you ever seen a dog heel to a skid steer? I hadn't either, until we got Scout😊 I had a couple instances in the last few days where the protective instinct was on display from him. I was visiting my Aunt the other night, and an old family friend was there. He was obnoxiously drunk, and when I went to leave he came out to the truck where Walt and Scout were waiting in the cab. The friend stepped up to me through my open door, well he was moving erratically and making Scout keyed up. I told the guy to mellow out, so on top of that he made a snorting noise as he lunged towards me. He wasn't attacking me, but it looked enough like it for Scout to jump over me and bite him right on the eyebrow😬 He said, "he bit me!" I said, "what do you expect, you can't go acting all freaky around a protective dog that doesn't know you!" He should know better🤷🏽‍♂️ Then just today, my cousin and her husband stopped by. They had wrote and said they were coming, so when they pulled in I was expecting them to come to the door and knock, or just walk in. Well, I'm waiting, thinking "what are they doing?" and they texted me, "Scout won't let us in"😂 He wasn't being aggressive, but he was standing on the steps next to the door, and every time they'd try to come up the steps he'd say, "nope!"😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

farmfromkansas

Don't get a border collie, they love everyone.  We have a cross bred cow dog, she keeps other dogs off our property, but would make up with anyone who comes along.  Best guard dog we ever had was an ugly mutt I picked up along the road, someone had dumped out.  He really appreciated having a home.  Would walk up to a car that drove in and just stand and look at the driver. Most people would not get out of their car.  Never bit anyone.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

HemlockKing

Lots of great info here thank you everyone, it's been a joy reading! 

I will half to do some more reading and this will be at least a year away if it even happens at all so I got time to think on it, someone above mentioned doberman, I have been around them and have enjoyed their prescience, a friend of mine has a border collie and it's a sweetheart but a little too needing of your attention in that ones case anyway haven't been around many others. 
Right now I have interest in beagle, terrier, doberman (although a bit big , I'd like a dog that's easier to tire out from a short hike etc), I also like black labs of course who can't! 
A1

HemlockKing

My experiences with pit bulls are bad I admit, although I don’t blame the dog, I find not all pitbull owners but, there are people who actually want them to be beasts and this is not typically a good person to be around either, I have met a couple really nice pit bulls but sometimes you come across those hood rats that like said, want them to be beasts, and no other than a pitbull to fill that role, they are fighters! Some time ago some family had a pitbull I believed that was fostered, that dog was a mean grump for sure, I never felt totally at ease around it, I was always scanning the room for objects I could grab etc to protect myself if need be, they let that dog be the alpha every time, and it got so bad if a person not from that home came in and tried to show it that you were actually the alpha it would of certainly attacked you, and it did eventually, was put down.
A1

Sedgehammer

Quote from: HemlockKing on June 01, 2021, 10:36:23 AM
My experiences with pit bulls are bad I admit, although I don't blame the dog, I find not all pitbull owners but, there are people who actually want them to be beasts and this is not typically a good person to be around either, I have met a couple really nice pit bulls but sometimes you come across those hood rats that like said, want them to be beasts, and no other than a pitbull to fill that role, they are fighters! Some time ago some family had a pitbull I believed that was fostered, that dog was a mean grump for sure, I never felt totally at ease around it, I was always scanning the room for objects I could grab etc to protect myself if need be, they let that dog be the alpha every time, and it got so bad if a person not from that home came in and tried to show it that you were actually the alpha it would of certainly attacked you, and it did eventually, was put down.
I'll never own a pit. Many are great dogs to be sure, but with little kids you never know if that 'beast' mode will come on. it does so unannounced and it doesn't take a bad owner for that to happen. with that said there are breeds out there that bite much more frequently, but when a pit does, it does so to kill. nope
Necessity is the engine of drive

doc henderson

do they have animal shelters, "dog pounds" where you are?  are you rural or near a big town?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

HemlockKing

Quote from: doc henderson on June 01, 2021, 11:12:27 AM
do they have animal shelters, "dog pounds" where you are?  are you rural or near a big town?
I'm rural but there is a town about 45 min away that has a small shelter, I most likely wanna be fostering a dog, as said while I would love to get a puppy, if too busy to go through a puppy nuisance phase, one that at least knows not to poop inside or nip, jump etc, a retired police dog would be amazing, but I believe most times the owners take them in as their own after the dogs service.
A1

mike_belben

There is no question pitbulls draw in some of the worst possible owners who do some of the worst possible things with them. 

My grandparents had the most viscious dog i ever met, a little poodle lap mutt mix of some sort that would fit in a purse and shoulda been shot at the first bite.  Id guess that dog bit 50, 60 people. No one was safe and it ran the show.  Ran off a lot of caretakers in my grandmothers last years.  Lucky they were never sued.  I really couldnt bring my kids around.  They were much safer in a pitbull cage at home! 

:D
Praise The Lord

gspren

I've had a few dogs good and bad, tied for best was a German Shepard female that looked like Jeff's dog and a Lab mix female. Worst dog was a male Springer Spaniel that just wouldn't train or listen, should have gotten rid of him as a pup. If you travel or go to camp grounds they sometimes have a list of unwelcome dogs, usually pit bulls, Dobermans, sometimes German Shepards, and a few others, maybe it's not right but that's why our last dog was mostly a Lab. Any of these let us know when someone was coming up the driveway.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Sedgehammer

Best dog I ever had hands down was a rott/lab mix. he was so gentle to my little kids (2-3-4) at the time. he wood not eat their food if they were outside eating unless it was given to him and when he did take it, he would take it slowly and with his lips. and if anyone came around that wasn't family, they weren't getting anywhere near us unless i said so. i remember a time when he was in back of the truck and family was inside the truck. i had to stop quickly at the post office. where i parked i could see the truck, as this was his first time in the back of the truck with the family. i told him to stay and while i was in the post office a few people walked by and he paid them no mind, but when one stopped to say hi to my wife and kids, he came unglued. didn't leave the pickup box, but he made darn sure they didn't stick around
Necessity is the engine of drive

Ed

I had the daughters Golden Retriever 90% of the time for 6 years...Marlin is a 120lb baby...until he barks. It'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand up and your blood run cold.
Had a friend stop about a masonary job, he has a German Shepard that is just plain mean. 
Marl went off when he knocked...I got to the door and Rog is 30' away in the yard. "WHAT THE HAIL YOU GOT IN THERE?"

I'm sure the amazon delivery guy crapped himself after tossing a package on the porch while Marl was looking out the door too.....lol.

Ed

nybhh

Quote from: Ed on June 02, 2021, 12:01:01 AM
I had the daughters Golden Retriever 90% of the time for 6 years...Marlin is a 120lb baby...until he barks. It'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand up and your blood run cold.
Had a friend stop about a masonary job, he has a German Shepard that is just plain mean.
Marl went off when he knocked...I got to the door and Rog is 30' away in the yard. "WHAT THE HAIL YOU GOT IN THERE?"

I'm sure the amazon delivery guy crapped himself after tossing a package on the porch while Marl was looking out the door too.....lol.

Ed
Lol, That's the way our lab is.  A total sweetheart who loves everyone (she knows) but her bark and deep growl is fierce.   If she can't scare you with her bark then, well, look out because she will lick you to death or steal your hat.
My former Doberman was probably the best dog I'll ever have and I miss her a lot but deep down, I knew she was willing and capable of modified by admin (pardon) someone up and there was some anxiety related to that.  On the other hand, our current lab is a lot less stressful and as someone who is armed and, with warning, capable of assessing and dealing with a threat, I think I prefer the loud "oh shi!, come do something" to the silent, "I got this, why is breakfast is wearing a fedex uniform" mentality.  Perhaps I'm older and a little more fearful of lawyers than I once was but regardless, all dogs want to be labs or dobermans and all labs and dobermans want to be black 😜 (modified Stonie Daniels quote).
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

Ianab

Quote from: Ed on June 02, 2021, 12:01:01 AMI had the daughters Golden Retriever 90% of the time for 6 years...Marlin is a 120lb baby...until he barks. It'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand up and your blood run cold.

That's the thing, you want a "sentry", not a "guard". 

A Sentry sounds the alarm, but can be "mostly harmless". 

Both our next door neighbours have dogs, one is a young golden Lab and really sweet. She gets bored if no one is home, and you have to go over and talk to her. 

Other neighbour has a couple "sheep dog collie X", but again they are sweet nature. When they first moved in they would bark if we went down the back where they could hear us through the fence. But after a couple of time going over and talking to them, giving them an ear scratch over the fence, they were fine. They have got out of their fenced run a couple of times, and appeared at our back door. Give them a pat and walk them home. :(

Dogs like that you don't mind having next door. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kim_Ked

I recommend a Rottweiler! 
As mentioned here already, the life span is somewhat shorter due to size, but man what great dogs. I had mine for almost 7 years before she went to cancer. She never bit a soul, watched over my boy as a small child. A big baby she was but everybody that didn't know her feared her very presence. I know a few other folks that have them as well, they all have the same mild temperament, handled correctly of course, like any strong breed, it will need dominance or it will or at least try hardheadedly as a young adult to dominate if without continuous structure.  The same structure that I see some folks lacking when they pick a bully breed dog. People that don't have a solid home or structure, unstable people, end up getting somebody attacked or bit. Also, I only keep one bully breed dog at a  time! If I have  a second dog, its a family breed. Not one that will attack in tandem with a dog like a pit bull or Rott. My current dog is a standard poodle! Easily one of the kindest dogs in the world. Gentle, very quiet, easy to deal with and everybody loves her that meets her.  Plus, no shedding! She's up to 10 years now and going strong.
1995 Daewoo Solar 130-3, 2001 Customized Arbro1000, 1995 Case 685, Patu525, Chevy C10 383Stroker!

curved-wood

Good size dog is very effective, doesn't need to be a mad dog. My german shepherd is over 125 pounds and  the guy delivering pizza is always afraid, but  my dog has zero agressivity. I've raised it that way when he was a puppy. I've even trained him that I could steel his bone out of his mouth. I have no choice with all the customers coming home with their kids. On the other hand, I had a similar german shepherd when I was a teenager....what a killer. My mon had to get it euthanasied before he'd kill somebody

Walnut Beast

mike_belben

Quote from: curved-wood on June 02, 2021, 06:24:13 AM
I've even trained him that I could steel his bone out of his mouth.
smiley_thumbsup

I train them by grabbing their tongues in my fist and holding on.

Naturally they hate it.  Any tooth i feel gets a swat and "NO BITES!!" with an index finger in the face and the stare that makes them get low.  

Every member of my family needs to be able to take the dogs tongue, ball, food, bone whatever without question.  Any backlash and im tackling that dog with a chokehold until it shows me 4 paws and a belly. I will bite them if i have to but theyre gonna tap out before i quit.  Dominance will be established.  

Submission creates gentle, obedient dogs out of dangerous ones... but it can take some wrestling to establish the pecking order of your human and canine pack in dogs thatve not had structure in the past.

THE WILD is extremely structured and orderly, always by tooth and nail. its domestication in wealthy developed countries where the lines get blurred and dogs walk their owners down the street like fools.

My way sounds ugly but they all run to me first.  A pack type of dog is not happy without a clear master. Once they have that youll know unconditional love.  Dominance and submission is important in raising happy healthy dogs (and kids!)

Who wears the pants must be clear if you dont want a dog biting whoever it wants.  Look at police dogs.  Absolute killing machines that shred on command, only who theyre commanded to shred until theyre told to stop.  Thats leadership and obedience extreme.   I dont need that level of control but how you get it is the same. 
Praise The Lord

LeeB

Not sure they're the greatest "guard" dogs in the sense you are talking about, but we love our Pyrenees. The let us know when someone is here, or anywhere near. They do most of their work at night and probably not the best breed if you live in town or a close neighborhood. We have seven of them. Talk about a feed bill. They're great on the farm though. Keep the predators at bay. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Roxie

Great Pyrenees are the breed that you'll find inside the free range chicken pastures in this area. Great with kids too. 
Say when

LeeB

Ours are around free range chickens, Guinee's, geese, goats, cats, grandkids, and cattle. Pyrs are not trouble free to just through out there with all the above. Like any other dog, they take training and constant attention until at least two years old. And also like any other dog, they take attention and control their whole life but it gets a lot easier after about two. Some of ours are starting to get toward the end and will be sorely missed when they are gone but we won't replace all of them. Just to much feed to pay for at this point in my life.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Nebraska

Mike's advice is pretty good there, I see so many with no real control of their animals...

aigheadish

It sounds like you've got plenty of options but I'll say my Husky/Lab mix was a very sweet and well behaved dog. He looked enough like a wolf to scare anyone who didn't know him and there was never any aggression issues (I trained in a similar way to Mike Belben, though I didn't realize it). He got a bit grumpy as he got older but then we realized that he couldn't hear or see real well anymore. That started when he was probably 14-15 years old. He was big enough to be intimidating but not huge, maybe 70-80 pounds and was just a beautiful dog. The husky in him definitely showed until he was probably 7 or 8 years old as it was impossible to exercise him enough and he was fast as the dickens, those were the drawbacks, but if he had some space to run he was good. I don't really want another dog for quite a while but if I got one it'd be cool to get another like him. Oh, and you could consistently build 3-8 more dog statues out of his shedding hair on a daily basis, that part sucked too.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Southside

One of my patrol dogs was a GSD.  Alpha is an understatement, he and I had several knock down, drag out sessions in the beginning, but once we were a team - nothing shut that dog down, and I mean nothing.  CS or OC gas, explosives going off, gunfire - he didn't care.  Like Mike described I could take his Kong or his food - he would make quite the fuss over it and some thought he was going to kill me but to him it was a game and I always played it up with him, but he knew when I was serious.  

The down side of that was - he could be a real jerk.  As a bachelor it made for some rather uncomfortable moments when he would launch himself over the Dutch door that separated the bedroom and kitchen.  He saved my butt a few times so there was no way he lived in a kennel.  

One time I could see it coming - my pickup was parked about 100 yards from me and there was this little, old, half bent over lady, walking toward my truck, (Dodge x-cab with the pop out windows) no time for me to cover the gap - she gets to the rear window and BAM - he hits it with 95 lbs of force, the window bounces out probably an inch, the truck suspension rolls and down goes grandma, while the handful of mail she is toting goes right up into the air.  By the time I got there she is back peddling away from the machine of death and looks right at me and says "Who would own such a horrible animal?"  I got her up, collected her mail, dusted her off, and helped get her on her way - never did fess up to the connection.  I learned more about animals from him than any book, school, or any other source I have ever encountered.  Still remember grilling him a steak before the vet came over, and he was probably 50 dogs ago if you count the fosters we have helped.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!