iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How To Make Chargers?

Started by 32vld, October 24, 2018, 09:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

32vld

Wife can you make me some chargers? What is a charger, I said.

Turns out a tree round is cut about 1/2" thick yielding a round place
setting to be used as a place mat on the dining room table for
the holidays.

I had some green oak rounds and sliced off 12 of them for my wife.
At the time I did not have a band saw so I used a wood chisel to 
work my way around against the grain not cutting down with the
grain.

My wife used them and all her friends were impressed.

However with time the rounds developed splits in them from the
outer edge into the round sometimes 2 separate splits form.
Looks like someone cut a slice out of a pie.

Anyone know how to make the chargers so they do not split?

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'd get a new wife before I cut cookies with a chisel.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Have any elm or gum you can work with?  Spiral grain will hold better than straight grain wood.  Seriously - how long did it take to do with a chisel??  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

Choice of wood?

You will have more luck with woods that are either hard to split, or softer and with less shrinkage than oak. 

Red Cedar is both soft, and shrinks less than hardwoods, so you can often get "cookies" of that to dry intact, and they looks cool with the heartwood / sapwood contrast. 

Standing dead (but not quite started to rot) can also sometimes stay together. 

Another approach is to cut the cookies on an angle, so you get an oval shape. This lets the piece deform a little as it dries, and hopefully not split. 

Or "Chemistry is you friend", and you can soak wood in PEG (polyethylene glycol). This soaks into the wood, replacing the water, and stays there. Now the wood doesn't dry out and shrink, so again the cookies stays intact.  

Terrifictimber's link explains the scientific reason for "cookies" usually pulling apart, because wood shrinks differently in different directions. This difference is the missing "piece of pie".
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

32vld

I found out that you can soak the wood in alcohol instead of PEG.

Semi retired so I have time to chisel + the better the wife = more time willing to chisel

And the chargers were used for when my wife hosted a baby shower
for our first grandchild (boy) and I was not the semi proud owner
of a Harbor Freight band saw back then.

My wife likes the end grain look. I may try to cut the white oak
on a 45 d angle next time, then after wood is dry I can cut the
ovals into circles. Maybe try the alcohol, or see if she would accept
face grain instead of end grain.

Buying 12" wide ray fleck maple or oak or even gluing up narrower
ray fleck boards, then cut them into circles is beyond my budget.

WV Sawmiller

Thicker cookies are less likely to split. I cut some about 3" thick walnut and coated both sides good with Anchorseal and they held up well. Also I had some "Donuts" with hollow centers and they lasted lots better. I'd guess if you drilled a hole in the middle you would have the same result. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Cookies and donuts. Now I am hungry. Thanks WV!!  musteat_1
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

swampbuggy

Try cutting them at a slight angle. They won't be perfectly round but its a charger! With the wood fibers not being vertical all the way through the cut it helps.
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Don_Papenburg

A hole in the middle is the best way that I know of .   If you do not want a hole  use a forstner bit and drill the bottom till the center pin just starts to poke out the top. The hole lets the outer wood shrink freely , if the center is full of wood as it shrinks it also has to split.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Al_Smith

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on October 24, 2018, 09:17:56 PM
I'd get a new wife before I cut cookies with a chisel.  :D
Let me tell you from experience,it costs plenty penny  to rewife . ;D

WDH

Red maple seems to split less or not as bad.  Oak is one of the worst when it come to splitting. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gspren

Last winter/early spring I cut about 20 1" cookies out of 8-9" cedar 10 were spread out in the sun to dry and all split, 10 were spread out on a screen in the barn out of sun or rain and only 2 split as of today. I've never heard of them called chargers but if you are selling them that would sound more expensive, a charger has to cost more than a cookie.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!