iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free redwood...

Started by Ljohnsaw, February 18, 2013, 01:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Too bad I don't have my mill built yet...

On CraigsList, near me, someone took down a 36" dia redwood and already cut all the limbs off.  They have a couple of giant logs for FREE, you only need to come cut it up.  They just won't fit in the back of my Tundra (and I don't think the lumber rack would hold it either!)  Nice looking tree.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

hackberry jake

It sounds like you may need to buy a trailer before you get your mill built. I wouldn't have got many logs at all if I hadn't had my trailer.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Ianab

Lil came home from work with a lead on a "Rimu" log I could have....

You wont know the wood, but think $8 bf/ft, cut by permit only stuff. If it was a garden tree, then the permit isn't an issue.

Turns out it was a Japanese Cedar  :(  Would still have been worth milling, if it wasn't 10 ft down a bank, with a 3ft dia hybrid poplar laying on top of it, and no access for even a 4wd or tractor.

If it was a Rimu, I'd have spent the day to recover it and dragged the mill down into the back garden to saw it. But not for a cedar....

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dboyt

Get the log anyway, if you have a place for it!  As I understand it redwood is somewhat rot resistant, so it will still be there when your mill is ready.  I would even consider hiring someone to cut it for me, if necessary.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

woodyone.john

Lil came home from work with a lead on a "Rimu" log I could have....
In sawed some crypto last year for a local cocky. gave him a lead and he sold it to a strip canoe builder for $3k/m3
it wasnt all clears either.let me know if you have clears. cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Thank You Sponsors!