iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Safety Pants

Started by Stephen1, September 26, 2020, 09:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I am looking for chainsaw safety pants to wear while I am working on my sawmill. I had a chain come off yesterday and clipped the inside of my leg just above the knee. 2 nice marks. Scared me!
I have chaps, but I do not put them on if it's only a cut or two I'm making. Because I do a lot of urban salvage, it seems I use my saw, butonly for a cut or two to trim this or that. I was saying it's only 1 cut, i'm okay without my chaps. I want a pair of chainsaw pants that I will wear all day I'm on the mill. 
what is everyone using?
Recommendations are welcome
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

John Mc

I've been meaning to get another pair of chainsaw pants myself for some time now. I had an old pair of Husqvarna chainsaw pants. From a short distance, they just looked like a pair of dark blue work pants. When I had the, I would alternate between them and a pair of full-wrap chaps, depending on the weather and conditions in the field (my chaps had much tougher cover material, so held up better when wading through pricker-laden brush.)

I eventually outgrew those pants, and for the past 10 years or so, I've just been wearing full-wrap chaps. I've been asking around and watching what's available on the market these days. The designs have changed and improved significantly since my old pair:

A logger and chainsaw safety instructor I know started wearing the Husqvarna Technical Chainsaw Pant. He really likes them - enough that he never wears his chaps anymore. These are sold by inseam length, like regular pants (as opposed to chaps, which are measured from the belt-line down). The one downside for me is that they are not offered in lengths that will fit me well. The "Hi-visibility" version in the link only comes in a 32" inseam. The plain gray pants come in either a 32" or 34" inseam. I need a 30" (I buy some brands of Jeans and other everyday pants as 29"). List price: US$229

I've heard good things about the Pfanner chainsaw pants. The Pfanner Ventilation Chainsaw Pants are designed more for arborists/tree climbers. They have more lightweight breathable material all around. The Pfanner Gladiator Ventilation Chainsaw Pants have ventiltion in the back, but the front has heavy-duty cordura material for better resistance to wear and tear. The Gladiator Ventiliation pants are available in 3 different lengths and 3 different colors. I'd probably already own a pair of the Gladiator Ventilation if there were a store anywhere near me that sold them. I'd like to try them on before I buy. Unfortunately, the only practical way for me to get a pair is via mail order. (They will let you return for a swap.)  Some folks report that these run a bit small in the waist. Whether that's actually the case, or more a matter of some of us running a bit bigger than we'd like to admit, I don't know. Both the Ventilation and the Gladiator Ventilation seem to get great reviews from everyone who tries them. Be prepared for sticker shock: they sell for US$330.

There are some other good brands out there, but I can't remember the brand name at the moment.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Old Greenhorn

I'm not sure if you are still shopping or have settled in on what you want John. I can tell you I got the Elvex pants over a year ago and am very well pleased with them. I don't do much cutting in the dead of winter so I can't share any experience in really cold weather. These pants have breathable backs (in fact it feels like the back is a little bit naked) and are comfortable even when I work up a sweat. I never had the feeling that I couldn't wait to get them off at the end of the day like I always have with chaps. I added buttons and braces to mine, just more comfortable. Yes they do tend toward the small size (no vanity here, just what I found). I looked here and found they come in 29,31,32,34 inseams depending on size. My waist is 33" and I ordered the medium, which covers 29-35" waist sizes and I should have gotten Large (35-41) because the elastic waist is a bit tight for my taste. I will say that waist band makes the braces nearly unnecessary most of the time. I find the front panel materials very tough for briers and stuff but the backs won't stop a light breeze, so keep that in mind. ;D
 On the whole, I am very pleased with my choice. These things get covered in dirt and mud and clean up just fine. My wife says they make my butt look tiny. :D They are very comfortable for day long work sessions for sure. I would buy them again. I didn't do any current shopping but the price I see on the site mentioned is $235.. I think I paid around 200 for mine after shopping around.
 Good luck in your search.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Wood Shed

I wear the chaps that the local Stihl dealer sells when running my saw (saws).  Never have worn them all day, just when the danger of a saw is near.  Once the saw gets you it is too late to say wish I had my chaps on that day.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

shelby78

As you know I own a tree service and have been doing it professionally for 21 years. I use Stihl chainsaw pants. Unless you like skinny jeans don't buy the fancy looking versions or ones that have nylon type material. Get the plain old dark blue style. You can get them with only front protection or you can have front and lower rear.

I use the front only protection as I think it would be pretty hard to cut the back of your calf and they are slightly lighter/cooler. I wear them 5 days a week for min 5 hours a day and you will get at least a year out of them.

If you don't want to look too fancy with suspenders and just use a belt a recommend using side cutters to cut the suspender knobs off as the dig in a bit with a belt riding over them. The plain jean style are a nice loose fitting pair of pants but I like loose pants. They size on waist like 38-40 then 40-42.

Stephen1

Thanks Shelby, I did buy a pair of the stihls pants at my local Stihl Dealer, did not have to wait for delivery, and I'm running the mll tomorrow. Chaps are pain when running the mill, they always hook onto something as I work around the mill. 
I am going to keep looking for a lighter weight for next summer. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Real1shepherd

On the Husky Technical Chainsaw Pants.....they start @28-30 waist. I had to laugh at that....maybe could have worn those in junior high.

Maybe that's for the gals, but they have hip considerations so I dunno. I'd like to see someone working in the woods with a 28-30 waist. 8)

Kevin

steadfast

To open an old thread up. I've decided on labonville pants for the winter, but not sure on what to get for the warmer months. I've looked in to a bunch of the arborist style pants, but not sure how well they'll hold up to cable and hopping over logs and snags all day. What's everyone using for summer saw pants? Thanks!

Old Greenhorn

I can't speak for all of these summer pants, but I know mine will not hold up well to most stuff on the rear side besides sitting down. Cable is tough on everything and I expect mine would do OK with that on the fronts, but cable can get really nasty and poke through anything. 
 The fronts on mine do very well in heavy brush and snags an things and are miles better than wearing chaps that have tripped me up many times getting caught. But the way most of these summer pants work is that the backs are pretty light and breath easily to let the heat out. This means that thorns can find a path to your butt and the backs of your legs pretty easy. Hopping logs and all like that has been no issues and I have no damage to my Elvex pants. I am pleased with them day to day as noted above. At least that has been my experience.
 Good luck!
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Tom King

I like the Swedepro ones.  They're more like regular pants than most, and not seriously expensive.

Cruiser_79

First I allways bought those relative cheap stihl pants, but they are way too hot in spring and summer. I bought Pfanner ventilation pants few years ago. They are expensive but you can wear them all day long without sweating. In winter the back of the legs is a little too cold but when its really cold I take my old Stihl pants, but more often I wear HH long isolated underwear. For some other guy I ordered SIP protection pants. They are a bit less expensive and looks really comfortable. Next time I will try these instead of the Pfanner. There are already some exhaust related scars in my pants so I'm afraid they won't  hold really long

Ianab

Summer we just wear chaps, shorts and boots. Can't imagine working in summer heat / humidity in long pants. At least with chaps you can have the back of your legs open for a bit of air. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

If you're working in a yard in the summer, the shorts might do. Not in the woods with woody shrubs slapping and scratching bare legs. Besides the deer flies and mosquitoes. Fly dope doesn't phase a deer fly. You can mush 3 at a time with a slap, by the time you lift your hand to inspect, 4 landed in their place. :D Some people can run a clearing saw for thinning with bare hands. If I did that, I wouldn't have any meat left on my finger bones. :D Spruce needles are sharp and draw blood and the limbs are like course wire brushes (dead needle pulvini all along the branch). Not fun on bare hide. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fulcrum156

Quote from: Cruiser_79 on February 21, 2022, 02:45:50 AM
First I allways bought those relative cheap stihl pants, but they are way too hot in spring and summer.
I bought those cheap Stihl too (~100 USD), and I agree they're very hot.
Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.

Old Greenhorn

I could never do the shorts things. First, as SD said, in the places I cut the thorns and branches will take you apart. It' also a mental issue with me, but I just can't do that kind of work wearing shorts, it feels weird. On a practical side I have way too many scabs and scars on my shins to even think about it and that is with either CS pants or chaps on. Without full leg covering I would be a real mess. I get it in open ground and is extremely hot areas, but just relaying my experience.
 I have been wearing chaps this winter over whatever is the right weights pants for the day and that is quite comfortable, if bulky. It's the only time of year chaps don't make me sweat.
 You guy have me thinking maybe I will try a pair of those warmer CS pants if I run across them at the right time and price. I never used to cut much in winter, but this year some things changed and I am finding I like it, unless the wind is howling.

lxskllr

I don't wear shorts ever. Need protection from the sun if nothing else. BDUs tucked into my combat boots, always. Keeps out bugs, and I can walk in mud up to my knees, and not get any in my boots.

John Mc

I also tend to minimize exposed skin. In addition to bites and scratches, we have a huge problem with tick-borne diseases in the area. When I'm working in the woods, I'm wearing clothing treated with permethrin (either that I sprayed myself or some factory pretreated stuff I've been using). During tick season I wear socks, long pants, and if it's not too hot out, a long-sleeved T-shirt, all treated. If it's too hot, I'll use a short-sleeved T shirt and put DEET on my arms. I'll wear chaps over the pants.

The tick deterrence on the factory-treated stuff lasts for abut 70 washes. The stuff I spray myself lasts about 4 or 5 washes.

I'm considering getting a pair of Pfanner Gladiator Ventilation pants for summer work. When it gets really warm out, the chaps over even my lightweight long pants gets to be a bit much. One of the places that sells pre-treated clothing will also treat clothing you send them using the same process. I'm considering getting the chainsaw pants treated, but need to check with Pfanner first to make sure the treatment does not compromise the chainsaw protection. (I've posted links to where I get my pretreated clothing before. If anyone is interested, I can dig the links up again. Will post in a new thread, and put a link here if there is interest).

I'm curious how the Ventilation model holds up to ground work. I'd consider the regular Gladiator pants, which are described as having a tougher covering material, but am concerned about how hot they would be in the summer.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Ianab on February 21, 2022, 03:39:24 AM
Summer we just wear chaps, shorts and boots. Can't imagine working in summer heat / humidity in long pants. At least with chaps you can have the back of your legs open for a bit of air.
And by contrast, I can't imagine working with anyone in the woods in shorts. :)

Kevin

steadfast

The swedepro's look good to me. Nice price tag too compared to the sip or pfanner ones. The thought of wearing shorts while running a saw scares me, chaps on or not.

Magicman

What could happen ??

What could happen, happens after you remove your chaps.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cruiser_79

Quote from: Magicman on February 22, 2022, 08:47:33 AM
What could happen ??

What could happen, happens after you remove your chaps.  ::)
Ouch! Imagine that happens with full throttle! 
I have a mark like that right above my ankle. Removing some thin trees, one of them grew into the tree behind me. It was only 4'' thick so didn't make a notch and all that. Instead of falling it slipped of the stump and forced the blade in my foot. I ordered chainsaw boots that same day  :D 
I was 16 at that moment, and thought only other people needed chainsaw protection   :)

Magicman

Quote from: Cruiser_79 on February 22, 2022, 03:21:23 PMOuch! Imagine that happens with full throttle!
The saw was not running which was why I had removed my chaps.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

Quote from: Cruiser_79 on February 22, 2022, 03:21:23 PMI was 16 at that moment, and thought only other people needed chainsaw protection

Of course! When were young, we tend to think we are indestructible, or that our "superior reflexes/skill" will keep us out of trouble. Hopefully, we survive (with all our limbs intact) to the point where we recognize that no one plans to have an accident, and we take the appropriate precautions.

Thank You Sponsors!