iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Railing

Started by sawguy21, August 04, 2015, 09:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I need to build a railing for this step in the garage, my tools consist of a table saw, a chainsaw and a hammer.  ;D I am considering a simple 2x4 frame on the landing with handrail uprights attached to the stair risers but that makes the railing a little wide for a comfortable grip. Anybody got some workable ideas for a noob at this?

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

I have about the same setup here,I put a ramp in for the wife. Easier for her to go up and down. But I would make the hand railing removable by the door. I just used sheetrock screws.  ::)This gives me a straight way into the house from the garage,if needed. I have removed it only a few times.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

I hadn't thought of a ramp access, I may need that down the road with my wife's mobility issues.

4x4American

I'm fairly new to it too, but what I would do is find the studs through the drywall and sister twobafers (2x4 lol) to em as your uprights and then cap em with a twobafer and connect em low with a twobafer also to brace it and if it doesn't hold than try something different!  Gussets are good.  I would screw it rather than nail it.  But what do I know?  I'm not a doctor, I just play one in a movie!

Everything is removable, if you need a ramp in the future you can always hack it down and start fresh, but I wouldn't try to make it too easily removable as it might get removed at the wrong time!
Boy, back in my day..

sawguy21

You can see the edge of the roll up door at the corner of the landing, I will have a solid stud to fasten to. It will also be screwed to the deck. You are right, I don't want it failing. The sudden stop on the concrete would HURT.

Stephen1

Sure, use 2*4 for the frame, and you can buy a top hand rail smoothed out at the lumber yard.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

WDH

Consider having a wrought iron rail made for the space.  Would really look nice, and you will be supporting the local economy.  The rail could extend across the landing and go down the steps. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

limbwood

there are some aluminum deck railings out there that screw together that are pretty solid.

jueston

at the local menards they have a whole area set up with all there railing options, some of them are aluminum or plastic and come in kits, but they have 4 or 5 wood options for decks, i think you can just point to it and tell the lumber guy you need 8 feet and they can help you out.

it would at least give you a few ideas....

sawguy21

Quote from: Stephen1 on August 05, 2015, 07:03:41 AM
Sure, use 2*4 for the frame, and you can buy a top hand rail smoothed out at the lumber yard.
I like this, I didn't know about pre finished hand rails. Wrought iron and aluminum would be very nice but the budget is tight and we don't own the home. Landlord doesn't see the need for it but safety is paramount.

jueston

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 05, 2015, 10:23:21 AM
Quote from: Stephen1 on August 05, 2015, 07:03:41 AM
I like this, I didn't know about pre finished hand rails. Wrought iron and aluminum would be very nice but the budget is tight and we don't own the home. Landlord doesn't see the need for it but safety is paramount.

ask the landlord to google willful negligence

Willful Negligence - Intentional performance of an unreasonable act in disregard of a known risk, making it highly probable that harm will be caused. Willful negligence usually involves a conscious indifference to the consequences.

if you inform your landlord of a legitimate safety concern and he does not act to improve the safety of the situation, he has opened himself up to a lawsuit that could cost him millions...

in St. Paul MN, where i live and work, it is unlawful to rent a space with safety issues like that.

beenthere

Most times it is the home owners insurance co. that requires a railing.

But what I see, a few 2x's and a handful of long screws will have a sufficient hand rail in short order.
2x4 uprights screwed flat to the step deck, and one 2x4 on edge for the rail that is screwed to the upright ones.

For code, may need more ballusters to fill in between that are less than 6" so a child's head cannot get through...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hilltop366

Stairs from garage to home. I believe that if there are more than 3 steps it requires a landing any change of floor level of more than 24" requires a guard, openings in guard should not allow a 4" sphere to pass through and not be climbable. There are minimum and maximum sizes for hand rail not sure what they are off the top of my head. I would suggest going to the local library and ask for a national building code book.

rasman57

I just helped a friend with a similar project in his mom's garage.  She is using a walker and we ramped the steps etc.   What you should consider if there is any potential for a loved one falling or needing the railing for support is anchoring the railing to withstand the weight of a person FALLING against it too.  Not just a railing for hand assist and support.   

We ran the 2x4's down the outside and screwed into the frame for the landing and stairs and doubled up the fasteners (SCREWS and GLUE) on the rest of the railings.   We wanted to make it strong enough to keep her from going over the edge if (he says,.. when) trouble happens.   We also wanted to keep the supports and railing out as far from the walker.

Good luck with your project.

sawguy21

I got 'er done, plenty stout although no thing of beauty. My dad would turn over in his grave, he was a shop teacher. :D
After much cogitation and head scratching I fastened the uprights to the risers with #10 x 2 1/2" screws and glue. The fun part was getting the upright length and top angle perfect so the stair railing would properly meet the one on the landing. Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate them.

4x4American

pics or it didnt happen!  ;D
Boy, back in my day..

lowpolyjoe

Yeah, I'd like to see some pics too   :)

That's a bummer that the landlord didn't take care of it.  It does seem like an obvious safety issue.   Glad you sorted it out.

sawguy21

He bought the place last fall, I am surprised it was allowed to be sold with such a glaring safety issue.

Thank You Sponsors!