iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Couple more Simple Projects

Started by Ianab, July 01, 2015, 08:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

And with a first coat of poly

Donating this to Taylor's kindy so they can raffle it off as a fund raiser. Already have an order for another one ;)

And playing around with the reclaimed Rimu that I was given earlier in the year. Made a little stool for Lara to sit at her new desk.

This wood is seriously nice to work with. It's a softwood, but with 25-30 growth rings per inch, and density like soft maple. A bit brittle sometimes, but it polishes up awesomely. Not sure what Nth American wood it would compare to? Looks a bit like Redwood, but heavier.

Anyway that's what I've been up to in the shed the last couple of weeks.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jemclimber

What a cutie!!   The chest looks nice too. I've debated screwing versus gluing on simple projects like this to speed things up, but I usually end up gluing.  Do you have a favorite screw that you use? 
lt15

Ianab

Quote from: Jemclimber on July 01, 2015, 08:12:49 AM
What a cutie!!   The chest looks nice too. I've debated screwing versus gluing on simple projects like this to speed things up, but I usually end up gluing.  Do you have a favorite screw that you use?

Belt and braces, screwed AND glued  :D

Because the boards aren't glued together I can get away with fixing them solidly to the cleats and internal bracing. Pre-drill with a countersink, smear of glue, and use the screws to cinch it up.

Over Engineered?
Possibly....
Going to fail?
Not in my my lifetime   :)

Favourite screw? Bulk packs at the local hardware store.
http://www.fortressfasteners.co.nz/

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

21incher

Another great job. You have some nice looking wood to work with. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

I do not know your "woods", but they finish nicely.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dablack

Is she holding a pillow or a pet?
Building my own house in East TX

Magicman

Maybe it is a pet pillow.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LIL

Quote from: Magicman on July 02, 2015, 02:07:40 PM
Maybe it is a pet pillow.   :D

BOTH

It's a pillow pet :D  Now I have the song running around in my head!!

LIL
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

Magicman

Write it down and sing.  I'll listen.   8)

LIL

Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Ianab

Did some finishing touches.

The lettering is some walnut crotch wood that I salvaged from firewood. Just drew on it freehand, cut out with  bandsaw / jigsaw, a bit of dremel sanding and a round over with the router.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thats a really nice Toy Box. I'm gonna go out on a limb ( old saying ) but I think the Princess loves it.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

nmericle53

Nice toy box. I love the contrast in wood it really makes it pop. Good job.
Thank you GOD for blessing me much more than I deserve.

WDH

Now we know what is in the box. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

I really like the letters  ;)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

I see that your Sweetie approves.   :)

78NHTFY

Your kid is way too cute.  But, that's nice looking box and it will have long-term use: in 10-15 years, just change out the "T" for a "B", put on a lock and when they come around you'll have a secure place to keep them :D :D :D.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Busy Beaver Lumber

That is some might nice woodworking Ianab and very cute model you have there too :)
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Ianab

Well the toy box has a new owner, one of Taylor's kindy friends.

Raffle raised $312  which makes the work worthwhile.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!