iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You know you're getting old when....

Started by Bibbyman, July 15, 2003, 08:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

little Bark

I used to use lard to top tobbaco.  Other then that I have no idea that they would have cooked w/ the stuff digin_2
Always use the rite tool for the job.

tcsmpsi

I was filling out some form online the other day (one of those other days) and for some reason, had a list of ages....I remember now, it was for an auto insurance quote!!...and asked for when I got my first driver license.  I put in "14" and when I submitted, it came back with a 'Must Enter Valid Age'.  It wouldn't take anything less than 16. 

Does that mean I'm not supposed to drive? 

I suppose that one way a person could relate to themselves (and/or others) that they might be reaching an older state, would be by the rememberance of their first contact with newfangled items.  Like, portable fans, television (Uncle Milty), PowerGlide, etc.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

little Bark

Quote from: tcsmpsi on May 20, 2008, 09:38:56 AM

I suppose that one way a person could relate to themselves (and/or others) that they might be reaching an older state, would be by the rememberance of their first contact with newfangled items.  Like, portable fans, television (Uncle Milty), PowerGlide, etc.

The first computer I used was a apple II e
My favorite cartoon was G.I. Joe and scobby Doo
Always use the rite tool for the job.

jdtuttle

You know your getting old when you start getting health care products for Birthday &  Christmas presents.
jim
Have a great day

Bibbyman

You know you're getting old when you start to consider downsizing to smaller house with wide doors, no steps and maintenance free.  But then you remember you have to make room for the two granddaughters and son that would move in with you.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

Bibster, you will know you are old the day the son and grand daughters say 'Why don't you just sit here and enjoy the view.  We'll make dinner and take care of everything.'

In the meantime, keep on keepin' on.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

iffy

When you were a schoolteacher at one point in your life and now former students are introducing you to their grandkids.

Warbird

You know you're getting old when you think you have the political landscape all figured out and the "Stumping for Mike H" thread gives you a headache and makes your blood pressure raise every time you read it....  yet you just can't help yourself and you keep on reading it!

ps.  I am referring to myself there.  ;)

DanG

Quote from: Bibbyman on May 19, 2008, 10:28:23 PM

Who knows,  maybe they'll find out that lard is actually good for you.  Maybe it satisfies some natural body need that fake food does not – thus you don't need as much. 

Funny you should mention that, Bib!  That is exactly what has happened.  I have seen a number of magazine and internet articles where there are lists of cooking oils, ranking them in the order of their nutritional benefit, or detriment.  Of course, olive oil is always at the top, and Canola is always second, but lard is ranked a lot closer to the top than you would imagine.  It enjoys a rating that is superior to the majority of vegetable oils, especially those with non-specific ingredients, such as Wesson Oil.  Shortening, such as Crisco, is always at the very bottom of the list, as one of the worst things you can do to your body.  As a matter of fact, I have started cooking with it occasionally.  Canola is still my preference most of the time, but it is a real treat to enjoy some fried chicken that is just as good as Grandma's was.  It ain't so much the chickens that have changed, as it is the way we cook them.  We have noticed that the lard fried chicken isn't nearly as greasy tasting as those fried in oil, too.  If you want to find it in the store, go to the Mexican aisle.  You will find it there as "Manseca".  If you turn the container around it says "Lard" on the other side. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bibbyman

Quote from: DanG on May 21, 2008, 03:36:04 PM

If you want to find it in the store, go to the Mexican aisle.  You will find it there as "Manseca".  If you turn the container around it says "Lard" on the other side. :)

Well, it must work for Mexicans - I don't see their population decreasing!   ;D
Sawing since '94

Raider Bill

[/quote]
Well, it must work for Mexicans - I don't see their population decreasing!   ;D
[/quote]

ROGER THAT! smiley_furious3
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Bibbyman

You know you're getting old when you were about 30 when you first "got" the "horse of a different color" line in the Wizard of OZ movie.   See,  I never knew that most of the movie was in color.

We're watching it on DVD on our flat screen digital TV with the granddaughters this stormy morning.  I got to thinking about watching it for years in black and white.  I got out the TV controllers and adjusted the color out.  I started to get howls from the girls to put the color back.
Sawing since '94

tcsmpsi

You know you're getting old, when you're alive.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

scsmith42

You know you're getting old when everything hurts.... and what doesn't hurt - doesn't work!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

submarinesailor

Scott,

You're quoting me.  That's one of my favorate lines.  Oh, and please tell my right hip to stop hurting so much.

Bruce

Bibbyman

You may be getting old if when you were a kid you didn't know what a remote control was.  Then when you were old enough to find out – you realize that YOU were the remote control.

I'm sure I can still know the feeling and sound of that big mechanical channel tuner switch on our old Zenith TV.  It was probably later than 1955 when we got one of the first TVs in the neighborhood. At first we could only get one channel then later two more. 

At first, the station only broadcast only a few hours of the day.  Then for many years it went off before midnight and didn't come back on until mid-morning. 

Dad's two younger brothers nearly moved in with us.  They planted themselves on the couch in front of the TV and didn't go home until it went off air.

Mary's folks moved down from northern Illinois in the mid-60's.  They were so tight they went out and bought a used black and white console TV for $15.  They used it for many years saying they just didn't like the way people looked on color TV. 

After they had it repaired a number of times,  the TV repair shop told them to never bring it back in.  When the tuner went out, they went out and bought a VCR so they could keep it on channel "3" that still worked and still use the old black and white TV.

Sawing since '94

pigman

You mean the new TV sets have pictures in color. :o I was thinking that since the channel changers got all growed up and left home, I was going to get one of those fancy sets with the remote control channel changers anyway. 8) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Bibbyman on May 21, 2008, 06:13:42 PM
Quote from: DanG on May 21, 2008, 03:36:04 PM

If you want to find it in the store, go to the Mexican aisle.  You will find it there as "Manseca".  If you turn the container around it says "Lard" on the other side. :)

Well, it must work for Mexicans - I don't see their population decreasing!   ;D

Lard again...

Mary and I had an increasingly rare opportunity to go out to supper the other evening.  We decided to hit the local Mexican restaurant on our side of town.  Years ago we had been regulars there but as we've reduced out going's out, we've cut this place from our list.  But it has great food and plenty of it – all hearty and heavy. 

Anyways, we were setting there eating and I noticed over by the area where they had their table service there were some white 5 gallon buckets stacked up.  The one I could read had "LARD" printed on it in 4" letters.  So,  I figure,  that's one of the reasons their food tasted soo good!   sketti_1
Sawing since '94

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I found out last night:

You know youre getting old, when you hear this faint voice - like a little old
lady - say,

"Help, I've fallen and I can't get up."

Then you realize it's you saying it.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

iffy

You remember using butch wax on your flattop.
Girls wore so many petticoats you weren't sure what their feet were fastened to. You could just see the feet moving.
Even skinny girls wore girdles.
You played tiddlewinks with your pocketknives in the schoolyard.

Warbird

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Bibbyman

You know you're getting old when you can remember when the women folk decorated their dresses with rick-rack. 

You know you're getting old when you can remember shoving a wire frame in the legs of your blue jeans and hung them on the cloths line to dry.  The wire frame made the pants come out looking like they had been ironed.
Sawing since '94

CLL

Bib I sure wished you hadn't mentioned the wire jeans stretchers, I was going the mom's smoke house the other day looking for some. I loved the way they made my jeans look.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Tom

.........You don't have to ask the question, "What are pegged pants?"

You know that neon socks were the craze, and it was really cool to wear a different color on each foot.
The buckle in the back was useless
There was, no longer, a watch pocket
The belt was white and about 1/2 inch wide.

......Oh, you still carry a hankerchief in your rear right pants pocket and a wallet in your left.

Thank You Sponsors!