iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood skids for shed foundation

Started by willy535, February 07, 2006, 05:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willy535

hi,i have built a few sheds in my time and have used pressure treated timbers (skids)for foundation.i see alot of guys use hemlock skids.thats what i build my sheds out of.hemlock timbers would certainly be cheaper than treated.when i use to do fences we use to dip the posts in foundation tar before we put them in ground....so....i got to thinking of doing this to hemlock skids,but the hemlock wouldnt be completely dry.what would happen if you sealed green wood.maybe just do bottom that sits on ground.any thoughts.......william

Don K

Can't help with your question, just wanted to say hello and welcome to the Forum  :)
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Snag

Welcome to the forum....

I dont know if this is the right answer, but growing up on the farm we always used hemlock for any lumber that was going to be in contact with the ground.  It was never treated.  I dont recall seeing any major rotting, but then again, that was a number of years ago.  I recently built a small barn and used green, rough cut 10x10 hemlock skids.  Hope it helps. 

isawlogs

We did the same , but my dad put some flat rocks under the timbers to get them off the ground ( read mud ) never have I had to change any of the timbers . Never seen my dad ever put anything on a peice of wood ... He said that if any of it rots away we will get another one and replace it , has not happened yet .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Coon

I find that tammarack has the same capabilitis for skids and even trailer decking.  I don't think I ever seen and rot out.  My grandfather used tammarack posts and rails for building his barnyard fences back in the 40's he claims and I was just at the old homestead the other day and most are still acting as a fence to this day but some of the rails have fallen down due to the nails rusting away.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!