iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Woodmizer's broke - Feed Problem

Started by Bro. Noble, October 05, 2002, 03:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

Was sawing right along yesterday when the forward speed started becoming erratic.  Had to turn the variable speed switch way up to get it to go and then it went too fast.

Put in a new variable speed switch, was pleased with myself that I had one on hand and went back to sawing normal----for a little while.  Then no forward movement at all but it backed up normally.  Cleaned the drum switch.  Sawed normal for a little while.  Quit to go milk.  

Read the trouble shooting section on feed.  Read the stuff I already had thought of.  Hadn't thought of the drive belt.

This morning after milking I went to the mill and sure enough the belt was a little loose.  Tightened it and went to sawing normally for a little while.  Then the same old stuff.

Checked out the drive motor and couldn't find any problems.  Tomorrow I'll take the drum switch out so I can see it better and make shure I got it clean.  I'll also look for bad connections.  The problem appears to be heat related.

Suggestions welcome.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

you're right to look for loose connections.  I chased a problem like that for a long time until I decided to look in the battery box.  I found loose connections on the 12 gauge wires that come from the control box and also found that they were loose on the back of the box.   theyve changed the configuration now and I can't remember the age of your mill.  If it is a 95 or earlier it may be in the battery box.  

There is a good chance that your old rheostat is ok.  Hope you haven't thrown it out.  I keep old parts until the atoms don't hold them together anymore.   :D Have a lot of useless-but-can't-part-with-it old stuff :D :D

Frank_Pender

Tom, I resemble the last two sentences.   Ikeep most of my treasures for trading stock for other treasures tha I run across.   8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Kevin_H.

Noble,
I have had two problems simular to yours, One was a problem with the drum switch, one of the contact fingers was broken off and the head would only move with the speed contol full open. The other was a problem with a kink or stiff link in the chain. Does The carriage slow in the same spot each time?

Tom and Frank,
I too keep most of the old parts, Even some of the old elec. motors that dont run up to speed. You never know when you may need a spare for a day or two til the new one shows up.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Bro. Noble

Tom,

Yes I kept the old rheostadt.  We have sheds full of stuff we kept in case we need it someday.  Never can find it if you do need it.

I keep all WM stuff in a big wooden box.  I have a new drum switch but it's for my old WM.  I may be able to use it to rebuild my old one.  

I appreciate your help, guys.

Noble

woodman

A little d&c gos a long way . I keep all my old parts so your not alone.
Jim Cripanuk

Tom

Because of this thread, I went to Google and looked up Pack Rat.  You know, everyone of the entries, barring the ads, considered this behavior abhorrent. :P :-/  Now go figure that. ???

These guys must never have run any equipment is all I can figure. :D :D

woodmills1

Noble, I couldn't tell if you have fixed the problem or not.  In the past I have encountered feed problems that turned out to be non electrical.  try checking the carrage rollers, they will fail, and when they do you will get erratic feed problems.  watch the bottem to see if you maintain the proper clearance between the fixed bar and the bottom track.  The early style rollers have a cover that pops off and you can see if all of the ball bearings are present when the cover has popped.  The replacements I have seem to be a much better design.  I have 1700 hours and have replaced all but one of my track rollers.

also try the roller that supports the feed chain, when that fails it allows the side of the chain to rub agains the main tube.  I found tell tale tooth marks in the paint along the tube.  At the beginning of this failure the chain feeds a little crooked, causing the need for the speed control to be turned up.

whenever I notice the feed slowing I first check for mechanical problems.  one other note, make sure your alternator belt is tight, looseness will cause a range of problems including slow feed and erratic power delivery from your engine.

hope you find the source.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

Dittos on the cam rollers.  Wedge the head up a little and see if the turn free or they stick.  I had one act the same way.  It'd roll fine back but ginch up forward.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

I don't know if the problem is fixed or not.

The mill is a 96 LT40HDG24.

I took the drive belt off and watched the pully.  The problem was definately electrical.

This morning It appeared to be working normal but I knew it would soon quit so I took the drum switch out.  It looked good.  I cleaned it thoroughly and put a light coat of fresh grease on the contacts.
I tightened all of the connections.  Most would turn a quarter turn.
Put everything back together, hooked the battery back up.  It appears to work normal.  Had to stop to go look at some replacement cows (bought 10).  I'll find out in the morning if the DanG thing stays fixed.  If not, I DonT know what else to try.

Noble

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

If it's electrical, there aren't too many places.  reseat the brushes in the motor, check ground everywhere.  It may be farfetched but it might be that the button on the bottom rail isn't making good contact.  Cleaning it won't hurt. Sometimes sawdust builds up under mine and the button won't seat on the rail very good.

whitepe

Noble,

The old fart that had the LT40 that I used to take my logs to was
always having problems with the ground on the bottom rail.
His equipment being erratic is why I finally bought  my LT15.
I got tired of waiting on him to futz with his equipment
and taking three hours to cut a couple of 16 inch logs.
My LT15 with the hand crank doesn't have any feed problems
until the rope gets wet then I have to nudge it along.  :D

Later,
Whitepe
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Bro. Noble

We sawed all morning with no problem.  Hope it's fixed.  

We have been shut down since mid April.  This summer has been hot as usual, but in our area also wet which isn't usual.  Hot and wet and idle is not a good environment for electrical components.  Doesn't do people much good either.  The first load of logs we cut had me worried about my shoulder.  It didn't hurt near as bad as my back and hips and knees and feet and wrists.  After a couple of weeks I'm about back to normal (which is still pretty pitiful).

If the WM acts up again, I,ll check the button and motor brushes and call WM .  I called them last Sat. but they closed at noon.  They have always been real helpful in the past the few times I've had problems I couldn't figger out.

Noble

C_Miller

Noble

Might want to check the connections in the main electrical panel too. I had a problem caused by corrosion. went thru cleaned thing up it was fine.  I also had problems with the cam followers. extra shot of grease kept me goin till I got the new ones.

C
CJM

Bro. Noble

C,

I tightened all the connections and feel that was where the problem was.  We sawed all day today with no problem with the feed.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Noble

C_Miller

Cool

Glad to hear you and the mill are off and running.

Few things more frustrating than an intermittent problem. I feel like some gremlin is thumbing its nose and whining"catch me if you can"

Hot and humid electrical connections reminds me of a time in mid-summer it was hot and sticky for New York and this old tmer and I were changing the connections on a welder to switch voltage.  He was "gonna learn me" how to do it. So I was keeping my mouth shut out of respect for the gray in his hair and so he wouldn't see the blood  on my tongue from where I'd been bitin it.

We had the back cover off and found the connections and he very insistantly told me to hand him the 7/16" socket. In my haste I handed him the 1/2" . He then proceeded to go off on me that I should pay attention to what I was doing, and give him what he asked for ...blah.blah, etc. then he went back to working on the machine. stuck his wrench on the terminal and found out he needed the 1/2".  He stopped, looked again and I could see the red start creeping up his neck. he then very sheepishly asked for the 1/2".
By  now I had unclamped my teeth from my tongue and very firmly placed it in my cheek but still, very politely said,"Yeah sometimes in this hot weather those nuts will swell right up"

He laughed at that and all was right with the world.

Good luck
CJM

Minnesota_boy

Cam follower bearings can get sawdust past the seals and give those symptoms, as can the faining bearings on the shaft with the sprocket on one end.  I also had an intermittent with the main controller board that did the same thing.  If you can back it up at full speed with no noise, but can't get it to move foward at all, then later works fine, replace the controller board.  If it will go forward but needs to be pushed or requires advancing the feed rate, check bearings.  If it goes forward, stops for a second, then moves again or if it is noisy when returing, check cam follower bearings.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom

Before you get too concerned about something that costs money, check the track wiper.  Clean and Oil it. Check behind the batterybox for a splinter of wood that may be catching on the chain and oil the chain.

Thank You Sponsors!