iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Caribou hunting

Started by Sawyerfortyish, October 14, 2004, 07:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

The camp was pretty nice. It had 4 rooms to the left of a hallway where the door was. The rooms were small had bunk beds.  I claimed the bottom one that top one was a long step to the floor. It was tight in the room with all our gear but we managed. To the right of the hallway was the kitchen-dinning room with a wood stove. Back by our rooms was also some kind of kero stove for added heat.Off the other end of the dinning room was the guides rooms. there was a gas stove to cook on and a small wash room off the hallway. You could get a dipper of water out of the pot on the wood stove to wash up with.
  All the guides were newfies as you call them. The outfitter took 2 hunters with him his wife took 2 I'll say more about that in a minute. The outfitters brother(a retired game warden)took 2 guys and then our guide Fred (retired from running heavy mining equipment)he was a real good guy and I can't say enough he knew what he was doing. The outfitters wife was some gal she had no problem guiding  or cleanning the caribou after the kill unless you gut shot it then you were on your own!
  I'm not sure how to spell the name of the lake but it was pronounced Ohmer lk. it was 100 miles long and had several dikes to hold back water.
  There was very little traffic on the road we had 8 or 10 cars on the ferry going up and 4or 5 cars and 7 or 8 log trucks on the way back. Where we were there wasn't a tree that I would even think big enough to cut for firewood most were 6-8" dbh if that and wern't very tall.

SwampDonkey

Ok, that is part of the smallwood resevoir that feeds the Churchill Falls hydro electric dam, largest underground powerhouse in the world.

Click here

Hunting camps usually are cramped quarters. I can remember the days at my grand father's camps when he guided. He had a long house for  6 sports, and a cook/mess camp with him, grandmother and my uncle in one end for cooking and guides at the rear end.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sawyerfortyish

Wow I didn't know there was anything like that there. But that is an unbelievable body of water. The tree lines on both sides disappears over the horizon as you look down the reservoir

Thank You Sponsors!