iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Handicap scooter speed controllers

Started by pineywoods, April 27, 2016, 11:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

These speed controllers would be a nice choice for diy projects IF the characteristics are taken into consideration. Typically, they use a variable resistor for speed control, both fwd and reverse.
first--they almost always require 24 volt supply. They are programable micro-processor controlled and have a bunch of functions characteristic to scooters.
Soft start, no sudden start
soft stop, no sudden stops
Limited reverse speed
Limited fwd speed
throttle type control in both directions.
diagnostics on power up, check for battery level, motor condition, brake functionality, speed control at stop position, charger not connected, and internal checks
If any of these fail, the processor inhibits motion and flashes an error code on the indicator lamp. More on these later.
There are 2 major suppliers, both have web sites where installation manuals are available for download. Manuals are extensive, wiring diagrams, pinouts, error codes, default configurations and general installation recommendations. 75-80 pages of info.
Dynamic controls, a New Zealand company
Curtis Instruments, based in New York
There are a few others, but they are usually clones of these two.
New controllers are available, but kinda pricey, usually can find used scooters with dead batteries cheap. Should come with an external 24 volt charger charger. Most controllers are rated at 70 amps or more...

I work a bunch with these units, pm me if you have questions..

addendum. These controllers are programable using a manufacturer specific programmer. I don't have access to one, but if you need to change stuff, a little time with google would probably turn up someone who does..

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!