iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edger Recommendations

Started by Luke_Eames, August 04, 2016, 12:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 14, 2016, 08:34:04 AM
... and when running the edger it was actually a part time helper who came in to use it.

We both used it. I fed it and she tailed it (and dealt with the product).

Quote from: customsawyer on August 14, 2016, 07:35:10 AM
An increase in production is only one of the reasons to get a edger. When sawing higher grade hardwood you are also able to increase yield. ..

I should have made it clear that I earn a lot more per BF from timbers than I do from side lumber. So while the edger gave me better production, it was high value production.

I don't saw hardwoods and rarely see clear lumber off the logs I buy.

We each have to look at our individual operations and figure out how additional equipment can help generate more income.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Luke_Eames

Thanks for all the great responses.  I'll outline my layout below and you can tell me if I'm crazy or not.  ;D

The plan is to have the edger in line with the mill.  When I have a flinch that I can mill into the minimum required dimensional lumber, I'll drop it onto the edger.  With the edger being auto feed, once the flinch starts its way into the edger, I can continue working with the mill.  The now edged flinch will sit on the out-feed of the table until another flinch pushes it off the table, onto a small conveyor.  The small conveyor will drop the board and the edges into a bin.  Any boards that do not need to be edged will be sent down liver rollers, with assistance from a few auto rollers, and into another bin.  After I have milled all the logs that were in front of the mill, I'll go down to the bins and sort out lengths and grades as I stack them into their packs.  Sometimes on weekends I'll have some help, so instead of the boards being dropped into bins, my helpers can just stack the boards into the packs. 

That's my though process and end result goal....as of now.... unless I'm told that I'm crazy...  :o
Wood Mizer LT-70 Super Wide
Wood Mizer EG200
Cat IT18

xlogger

Quote from: longtime lurker on August 05, 2016, 03:18:38 AM
Never used one but Cooks looks nice.

But if you're staying stationary you'd do better with a preloved Miner / Meadows / Morgan or similar. You'll only buy one of those once.
I'm thinking about getting an edger also. I called yesterday and talked to the people that made the Miner, they are here in NC. It's about the same price of Cook's and TK's. I will use it stationary if I get one. The man said the ones with the belts where what he called a finishing edger, not really sure what he meant by that. His has rollers instead of belts. How is resale on this? I will not use one much, just want one, just hate edging.
So what do you think the advantages or disadvantages of one over a Cook's or TK?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

paul case

I have a baker edger and the thing I like best about it is the belt conveyor feed and the hydraulic variable speed on the feed. Split strobe saws are a very nice feature. That allows you to change the blades by removing only 8 bolts. No special tools.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!