iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log deck motor

Started by Luke_Eames, March 01, 2017, 08:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke_Eames

I just pickup a log deck without a motor.  I was thinking of either putting an electric winch on it and run it off the mill battery or putting on a hydraulic motor and hooking it up into the mill hydraulics.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  I'm not up on hydraulic run motors so any suggestions on that would be great.  I know the basics of hooking things in, but not too much about the motors themselves.  My mill is an LT 40, not a super but gets the jobs done.  ;D
Wood Mizer LT-70 Super Wide
Wood Mizer EG200
Cat IT18

bedway

http://www.surpluscenter.com/ This is a good source for parts. The more knowledgeable than myself will be along shortly to give you insight and advice.

Gearbox

If you hook up a hydraulic motor or any other function beyond the valve bank you may need to add a power beyond section to the valve . I run 2  2500 HF winch motors to run a live deck on my BT6870 wood processer . I just took the winch apart [ 2 allen head screws ] and turn one flange off the spool , turn and key the shaft . Put on a hub and weld on sprocket .   1 winch motor did not have enough power so I added a second one now I have plenty of power . My live deck is at a 30 degree angle and holds a 1/4 to 1/3 cord . A flat deck will take much less power .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

DDW_OR

my two cents.
two HF 2500 winches will be $170 + two electric wires + a quick connect = less than $350.

Hydraulic = ??
"let the machines do the work"

Luke_Eames

I was thinking about the winches from HF.  To add,  I got a couple lumber decks as well with no motors.  My only concern is how well the winches would work for continuous run time, 6 - 8 hours a day.
Wood Mizer EG200
Cat IT18

Kbeitz

Starters and winch motors are not continues duty motors.
They are intermittent duty cycle motors.
The only 12v motors that are large and continues would
be a motor out of a forklift and it's real hard to find one
that's 12 volts. There is one on E-bay now for $800.00
The best winch motor is rated for 35 seconds on then
10 minutes off. Warn is one of the best and they say.
Do not power out more than 30 feet without allowing the
winch to cool for 20 minutes before powering rope back in.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

redprospector

I've got 2 live decks. One is electric (not 12 volt), the other is hydraulic.
What both of them have in common is a reduction gear box.
My personal opinion is that a winch motor isn't going to be a very good choice.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Gearbox

On a live deck you will have a load of 30 seconds and a rest of 10 min. . My processer has a 3 second run every min. I have had no problem . I wait till they go on sale and I get them for 49.95 . Right now I am running 4 and the one on my splitter has been pulled hard enough to wear out the cable .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

redprospector

Quote from: Gearbox on March 01, 2017, 05:18:57 PM
On a live deck you will have a load of 30 seconds and a rest of 10 min. . My processer has a 3 second run every min. I have had no problem . I wait till they go on sale and I get them for 49.95 . Right now I am running 4 and the one on my splitter has been pulled hard enough to wear out the cable .
Sorry, I thought that was what we were talking about.
The OP said he got a "log deck" with no motor (with a motor I figured it would be a live deck). He then said he had an LT-40. I assumed he was going to use it as a live deck for his sawmill.
If he's using it on a firewood processor a winch might work...I don't know. My opinion is still the same for a "log deck" for a sawmill though.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Gearbox

A live deck weather a descrambler like I have or a flat deck They just move logs from point a to point b . The other thing is a winch uses planetary gearbox .

pineywoods

Winch motors probably gonna have a heat problem. Check into a motor off a handicap scooter, not a wheel chair. Wheel chairs use 2 motors, one for each wheel. Scooter use a single larger motor driving a gearbox and differential. They are 24 volt, but work well on 12 volts..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bandmiller2

You have hydraulics do it right and put a hyd. motor on it. Cheap winches and you will always be working on it and pulling your battery down. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Luke_Eames

Thanks for the suggestions.  I talked more with the guy I bought the equipment from and he said go hydraulic.  He had hydraulics on all of his equipment. I think with the lumber deck being continuous, then just hooking the log deck into my mill, the hydraulics will be best for the long run.  Any suggestions on what size  reduction gear box?? 
Wood Mizer EG200
Cat IT18

Thank You Sponsors!