iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finished house i sawed out myself! Pics! Even more Pics!

Started by Kelvin, November 08, 2006, 07:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Well... lets see.  The cabinets are some spalted maple that has a bit of curl to it.  People just weren't that interested in it, and i thought it was great so i used it myself.  Showed them

The counter tops are easy as pie to make.  I just put 3/4" plywood ontop, and overhung it enough to screw a front lip onto to use as a form.  I got the 5000 psi early set quickrete from Home Repo and mixed in some of their coloring agents.  Just mixed and poured!  Troweled and treated like regular old concrete.  To grind, we started with a 7" masonary grinder for my grinder and took off the cream and then started cutting into the agregate.  We bought some special sanding pads from the internet, after doing a search (there is lots on this on the net.  They tell you how to do it all, and make it seem harder than it is!)  Thats all there is.  Cheap, and fun.  Gotta wait for this and that to finish, and it makes a mess grinding, but hey beats the boringness of formica and the crazy cost of anything else!

Lets see.... oh, yeah, the frame.  Its standard mortise and tennon.  No metal holding the main frame at all.  Just wooden pegs.  This is all easier than people think as well.  We started cutting all the joints by hand with chisels and a big drill.  Added skillsaw, than chainsaw, and ended up doing it all very well with a chainsaw.  A small one at that, but look at what chainsaw artists can do!  We cut the outsides with a skillsaw, and plunged with the chainsaw.  Somepeople think its hearsey, but hey.  We covered up most of the joints anyways and i'll let you all know if it falls over anytime soon!

Thanks for the input guys.  Everybody should try this once, anymore than that and they are looking for a divorce!

See ya,
Kelvin

Thank You Sponsors!