iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

World's sharpest chainsaw?

Started by IndyIan, September 21, 2006, 09:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyIan

I was hiking in the woods last weekend and someone had cut a tree that fell across the trail.  What was strange is that the the wood chips from the saw where 2 to 3" long and thick, like the saw was used for ripping.  There was a bunch of downed trees cut this way.  All the cut wood was removed.

Was this guy ripping his firewood on the spot or is there some kind of saw chain I've never heard of?
Ian

bitternut

Sounds like a real short chubby logger with a serious overbite to me. :D  :D  :D

beenthere

Indy
Were the trees cut up into lumber with a rip chain, as you say all the cut wood was removed, and the chips look like the were from a ripping chain?
Or were firewood bolts 'split' with a regular chain, leaving the long chips?

Any pics?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

IndyIan

beenthere,
I have an alaskan mill with ripping chain and I wish I could get big fat chips like these.  It looked like the saw was ripping with the grain.  There was so many chips though and hardly any "normal" chips.  I've  ripped tough to split chunks with my saw and got similar chips but I can't imagine someone ripped all that fire wood on the spot that way...
Maybe the guy doesn't have a splitting maul? :) 

Al_Smith

If those chips were "curly fries" ,cut accross the grain,it most likely was cut with a chipper chain.I have a Mac 650 geardrive that uses 1/2" chipper and will throw those big chips,like a woodplaner,if cutting maple,cottonwood etc.

Ed

Sounds like someone "split' their firewood with a chainsaw to me too.
My 084 makes really nice "curly fries" with the big ol' 404 chain.

Ed

leweee

Quote from: bitternut on September 21, 2006, 09:34:29 PM
Sounds like a real short chubby logger with a serious overbite to me. :D  :D  :D

me thinks their maken fun of me again :D :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

rebocardo

> can't imagine someone ripped all that fire wood on the spot that way...

I took people's advice and usually cut my wood now into firewood on the spot so I do not handle it twice.  After I cut into rounds and rip with the grain to cut the round into halves or quarters, I probably have four to five 35 gallon barrels of curly Qs left after a cord. Dog owners love it for a mulch bed for their dogs to lie on or poop on.

It is much easier to lift (4) 50 pound pieces then one 200 pound piece which is what a 24"x12" round of green oak will weigh.

LOGDOG

IndyIan ... you mentioned that there were a bunch of trees cut this way and that the wood was gone. Any tracks? I'm wondering if someone had been through there with a machine that had a processor head on it. The machine could have been tracked or rubber tired. Those processor can really make the chips fly. Just a thought. I know they run a ton of those up there in Canada. :)

LOGDOG

Corley5

Cutting big limbs off flush to the trunk will make curls :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

IndyIan

These were definitely "curly fries" chips.  There were no unusual tracks to speak of so I think either it was a big gear drive saw like Al Smith described or someone was ripping their firewood.  The trees weren't that big, 12-20" dbh so I don't know why they wouldn't bring their maul along as i think it would be faster and easier to split it that way, but obviously it worked for them...

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on September 21, 2006, 09:51:57 PM... Or were firewood bolts 'split' with a regular chain, leaving the long chips?
That's the only explenation I can think of...... ::)
Information collector.

low_48

Might have been a woodturner. I cut a lot of bowl blanks that way. Buck the log into lengths that are less than the bar length I am using, and then rip those in half through the pith. This usually makes them light enough to handle and lets me make decisions at home on the final blank size.

twoodward15

Nope, somebody done filed their depthe guides down too much, thinking they had enough power to cut wood faster.  Really lugs a motor on a weak saw bad!!
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Thank You Sponsors!