iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine timbers, blue stain, resawing

Started by ethanbrush, May 01, 2020, 07:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanbrush

Hi Guys, I couldnt decide if this should be in drying and processing or here....

I dont have much direct experience with cutting pine and blue stain.  I am in central NY state. I reluctantly agreed to take a load of nice pine.  
I am concerned about warmer weather rapidly approaching, and there are a few things I am not certain of.  What happens when you cut timbers (assume no kiln involved)?  If I cut say 10x10's, obviously the inside is going to stay wet for some time.  Does blue stain continue to do its thing on the inside but not effect the outside layers where it gets somewhat dry quickly?  What if I were to resaw these later into boards, will I be exposing blue stain? I do need some timbers but also a bunch of 8 x 5/8 that I am using for siding.  I am feeling pressured for time and was considering just doing them all into timbers and coming back and cutting some of them into siding later, if that would work.  Thoughts?  Also how much time do I have?  These were just cut a week ago.
Timber Harvester 30HTD25
Stihl 075 w/ Sperber 36" CSM
Husky 550XP
Uniforest 45M
New Holland TC-45

moodnacreek

In pine in n.y.s., the outside white sap wood will blue stain when the temperature of this wood reaches around 50 degrees. It makes no difference if it is the log or cut lumber.   However if the moisture content of the said wood has been lowered it will not stain unless it gets wet. This is just one reason why lumber should be cut and stickered in fall or winter and not in spring or summer. In other words it needs to dry some when it is to cold to stain. The most valuable part of the log is the clear white sap wood and this get ruined [for a clear finish] first. So your orange timbers will not stain on sticks. Storing the logs in the coldest place you can find and not disturbing the bark will help for a while. NEVER in the sun and better on the cold ground. After sawing and sticking as much sun and wind as possible and if you can get it a spray of anti blue stain on all white wood. Pine and hard maple are almost impossible in warm weather to do professionally.

ethanbrush

Thanks.  Ill just try to get it cut and stacked ASAP.
Timber Harvester 30HTD25
Husky 550XP
Uniforest 45M
New Holland TC-45

Remle

" I am feeling pressured for time and was considering just doing them all into timbers and coming back and cutting some of them into siding later, if that would work."
IMHO, cutting into timbers and re-sawing later is a bad thing. As the timbers dry out they will crack on one of the sides down to the heart wood. That makes for a 50 percent lost of lumber, not to mention all the heavy handling moving the timber around. It's better to bite the bullet time wise now and cut them into the final form.
Again it's just my opinion from having tried, cutting cants and re-sawing later.

ethanbrush

Quote from: Remle on May 02, 2020, 09:31:46 AM
IMHO, cutting into timbers and re-sawing later is a bad thing. As the timbers dry out they will crack on one of the sides down to the heart wood. That makes for a 50 percent lost of lumber, not to mention all the heavy handling moving the timber around. It's better to bite the bullet time wise now and cut them into the final form.
Again it's just my opinion from having tried, cutting cants and re-sawing later.

Good point, thanks.  

Timber Harvester 30HTD25
Husky 550XP
Uniforest 45M
New Holland TC-45

Thank You Sponsors!