iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LX55 Electric motor

Started by Billmaz, June 18, 2020, 10:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billmaz

I purchased the new LX55 electric mill from woodmizer. It seems my electric will not handle this mill according to woodmizer. They said there are 22 other mills out there and have had no problems with them. Does anybody know of anyone personally that has one? I find it hard to believe my electric is not sufficient. I even talked to my electric supplier and their engineer told me the power is more than sufficient for this motor. I guess I will need to go with a gas mill. 

Southside

Welcome to the Forum.  What electric service do you have? Volts, # of amps available, and Hz (don't know where you are)  What did Woodmizer say was the requirement for the mill?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Wintergreen Mountain

Also what problems are you having.
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

Billmaz

I have Orange n Rockland in NY. My voltage sits at 238 and drops to 217. Woodmizer says it can't drop bellow 220 but the plate on the motor is rated at 220! You're allowed a 10% drop so I believe the plate rating is wrong. The motor won't kick out of start mode. Stays slow. Eventually it starts kicking up after several tries but this will eventually burn starter up. I believe it should have a clutch to engage like a gas motor. With the V belt off and no load it starts perfectly 

Southside

What size wire are you running and for how many feet? That's a significant voltage loss and usually a sign of an undersized feed wire. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Billmaz

#6 wire 20' And I took house out of equation. Hooked it directly to my service. Still doesn't work. I have a hard time believing no other people have this problem. Their first answer was sending me a new motor. That didn't work ... 

Southside

How many amps is the motor pulling under load and unloaded? Not following you on the second motor. You have tried two different motors with the same result? Also is that #6 copper or aluminum? 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

tacks Y

How many amps does this draw? Should be on the plate.

btulloh

There's always a possibility of problems on the power company side of things.  Can you check the voltage drop right at the service panel?  Sometimes the connections at the transformer get corroded or even loose.  Maybe try it with the motor unloaded too.  
HM126

Walnut Beast

For a 7 hp should be around 40 amp draw 220

Old Greenhorn

I worked in a shop once where we had crazy power issues, one leg would go too high as I recall and sometimes we had one leg go too low. We put buck/boost transformers on all the machines and life got real easy after that. AT one time I was well versed in figuring out the install on those, but now I don't remember squat.  ;D it was 25 years ago. AT any rate, this may solve your voltage issue, but you would need a real electrician to go through the numbers and spec a transformer for you, not some guy who slept in a holiday a couple of decades ago. :D
 Just a thought.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

muggs

What size is the motor? How far away is the pole transformer? Remember voltage drop starts at the transformer, if it is too far away. :'(

Billmaz

Whew! This took off. 🤣 I really appreciate all the feedback. But I have a top of the pay scale trouble shooting electrician. A utility worker and utility engineer plus a friend that installed sewage plants for cities. So we have covered all bases and then some. Really wanted to find someone else that purchased this mill and ask how it works for them. Again thanks to everyone again. 👍

Walnut Beast

What brand of electric motor is it

btulloh

Quote from: Billmaz on June 19, 2020, 02:33:42 PM
Whew! This took off. 🤣 I really appreciate all the feedback. But I have a top of the pay scale trouble shooting electrician. A utility worker and utility engineer plus a friend that installed sewage plants for cities. So we have covered all bases and then some. Really wanted to find someone else that purchased this mill and ask how it works for them. Again thanks to everyone again. 👍
Yeah, this a knowledgeable bunch and glad to help.  Just the nature of the FF membership.
You have quite a team there to cover all the bases except the motor itself.  
Being fairly new, there are only a few LX55 owners here and I can't remember if any have the electric version or not.  Some LT15 owners here run electric.  Maybe the same motor, maybe not.
With that team it sounds like you've eliminated everything but the motor itself.  Hard to imagine two could have the same problem, but things do happen.  Woodmizer is known for outstanding service, so no doubt they will do whatever is necessary to resolve the problem.  They are probably perplexed at this point.
Hopefully an LX55 electric owner will see this and weigh in.  I'll be mighty curious to hear what the problem is when it's resolved.  Good luck and keep us informed.
HM126

Larry

Quote from: Billmaz on June 19, 2020, 02:33:42 PM
That's great, he should be able to get the problem figured out in short order and my money is on something simple.

When I built my house and shop I had the power company place the transformer next to the shop but the house is almost 300 feet from the transformer.  I ran voltage drop calculations and was concerned about voltage drop to the house.  Next step was to talk with the power company.  My transformer has several different taps to compensate for voltage drop.  They wired the transformer on the highest voltage tap to help at the house.  At the shop I get 246 volts and at the house 242 volts.

220 volt systems disappeared years ago.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Billmaz

Motors made in Italy. I'm returning it and getting 14hp gas. I can't invest any more time into this one. 

tacks Y

Bill, Is it possible there is a problem with the mill? Maybe bearings to tight? When the blade is off try rotating all parts? Try #4 wire and see if that makes it go?

terrifictimbersllc

Sounds like you didnt get your main question answered, who else has one (electric)?

I would call Woodmizer, get to the customer service manager if necessary, and have them give you contact information for a couple of customers who have the electric motor.  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Billmaz

Woodmizer NY actually sent a tech to put a new motor on it. He said everything moves just fine. A flag went up in my head when he noticed it has heavier wheels than he has seen on some bigger models. I asked if it's possible they put wrong wheels on it? He said nah... So maybe again— bad design! I would love to talk to other customers. Ohh and get this...6 weeks to get a gas replacement!!!!! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Southside

So the company sent out a repair man, at their expense, will take back the mill, at their expense, from the sounds of it you have not diagnosed your electrical service, and you want to make the claim that the mill has a "bad design"?  This is not the place to be bashing a product manufacturer, especially when the only support you have is an unsupported opinion.  

As far as the 6 weeks go, really not unreasonable at all.  The supply chain world is still messed up, companies have work restrictions placed upon them to deal with, and their product is in demand.  You want a custom floor from me, you are going to wait 6 or more weeks right now.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Billmaz

Woah easy! Southside got up on the wrong side. Put yourself in my shoes for a minute. I did have my service diagnosed by the utility engineer and a trouble shooting electrician. Nothing wrong with my power. I waited 6 weeks for first machine at 6000.00. Then invested another 30000.00 in prep between electric and site work for it. Now it doesn't work. So I have to wait 6 more weeks before I make a dime. Now on top of that I just wanted to talk to someone who has one working. Obviously I believe in woodmizer or I wouldn't be getting another one. I just believe they have an engineering problem. So...it may be on their dime witch ummm it should be. But I've got a dime in it too!! Oh and this trouble shooting has been going on for a month! If you owned one of these and it worked you would have a leg to stand on. Otherwise shhhhhhh. 

Walnut Beast

So what's the engineering problem?

Billmaz

I would say the motor is under powered to start with the load of the wheels and tension of the blade. If I take all belts off it starts fine. If I turn it on and off several times it begins to work faster due to everything warming up. If this had a clutch you could engage after the motor starts up it would work perfectly. Again I was really hoping to hear from someone that might have one to see if they have a slow startup. This slow startup will eventually ruin the start switch then the motor. Once it's up to speed it's an amazing mill. It's first model of this kind for woodmizer. I believe it needs improvements. I never buy 1st models. Like companies to work kinks out first. 👍

Southside

Quote from: Billmaz on June 20, 2020, 09:17:37 AMIf you owned one of these and it worked you would have a leg to stand on. Otherwise shhhhhhh. 

Ummm - it doesn't work that way around here.  Multiple, qualified, members, myself included, have tried to help you with this issue but you are set on claiming to know more than the company that built the mill, and already paid for an onsite visit.  

An overloaded electric motor will cause an amperage draw spike, not a voltage drop.  Said spike will trip out the thermal overload or the breaker itself if it's high or long enough depending on what type of protection the motor has in front of it. A slow spinning motor is a sign of low voltage being fed to it.  But hey - what do I know about sawmills or electric motors? 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!