iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Corn Wine?

Started by Raider, November 14, 2007, 06:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider

I have not tried this but it is worth a look 8) Came from some South Dakota folks.3 gallon batch
1-1/2 lbs. dry shelled field corn(ground coarse)
1-1/2 lbs. raisins-chopped(use blender add water)
1 orange-sliced
1 lemon-sliced
1/2 grapefruit-sliced
1 cake or 8 tsp actve dry yeast or.....
1 pkg.universal wine yeast
5 cups sugar
3 gal. water
Mix all ingredients in food-safe plastic 5-gal. pail or
earthen crock dissolving sugar. Cover with towel.
Each day for the next 25 days,yes 25 days, add 1 cup
of sugar and stir. On the 26th day remove the fruit and
let stand one week. DO NOT stir during this period!
After this week is over siphon off liquid into another
container or carboy and cover or attach air lock. Be-
careful not to touch sediment. Rack(siphon liquid off
sediment) as many times as needed for sediment to dis-
appear(about every 6 weeks). Bottle and cork. Keep out
of direct sunlight. Good after 30 days, better after
6 months.
DISCLAIMER:
This is very potent wine. Drink in moderation. Do not operate heavy equipment. Not responsible for unplanned pregnencies.   Raider

jackpine

Raider, on your band sharpener thread Robert Long mentioned  having a glass of red wine while band sharpening. This corn wine would might make the job go real smooth ;D

Bill

Kansas

I have always wanted to make wine, never have got around to doing it. This sounds interesting, but I have to ask....30 cups of sugar? Is that possible?

Raider

I copied and pasted this, very similar to moonshine only one does not distill it :o I was told it reaches 25% 8) ::) that is why the disclaimer :D :D  Also like a bear bait that has been used :o bear not far from bait and groaning :D :D  Raider

ohsoloco

I've always read that wine yeast can only tolerate alcohol contents up to about 17-18% before the yeast dies.  Seems like it would be an awfully sweet wine.  A good rule of thumb for wine making with anything other than grapes is about 2-1/2 to 3 pounds of sugar per gallon. 

A couple weeks ago I started making some wine again.  Got a gallon of concord grape, three gallons of sour cherry, and ten gallons of plumb started  8)

sawguy21

This is a very interesting thread. Now Raider, you wanna fill us northern guys in on
distillin'?  We know nothing about it.;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Sprucegum

I believe the 25%  :o

It is achieved by adding the sugar one cup at a time - that gives the yeast time to convert without killing itself.
I have some chokecherry wine at 20% by using a similar method. You don't notice it til you get up to leave the table  :D

Timburr

If you folks want to bump the % a tad, try chamagne yeast to brew your wine.  ;) Champagne yeast is bred to accommodate the higher alcohol content.
Sense is not common

Raider

Where would one find this ::)  Raider

ohsoloco

Any shop that sells wine making supplies would carry it  ;)

splitter

Raider, being from the mountains I've heard a little about this kind of stuff. Sounds like it needs refining to me. Not everthing that comes out of these hollars is water, have seen some stuff that don't have much color. Hard to find anymore. Splitter

Thank You Sponsors!