iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White? Red? (no I'm not asking about wine) :D

Started by Evergreen Man, April 17, 2015, 10:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evergreen Man

Can anyone tell me what kind of Oak this is?
I used to think I was crazy, then I realized: I'm the only normal one.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Evergreen Man

BBTom

Look at the length of the medullary rays on a flat sawn board.  If many are longer than an inch, it is white.  If most of them are less than half inch then it is red.

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Evergreen Man

beenthere

You think it is oak?

I'm not seeing rays, but it just may be the quality of the pic.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Evergreen Man

I was told buy the guy trying to sell me the log it's oak, I wouldn't know an oak log if it fell on my head.
There arn't any Oak in my bush and I've just never payed close attention any time I have been around Oak tree's.

beenthere

That might be the problem.. ;)

Here is a short .pdf that tells about wood in the woodpile.

http://www.nd.gov/ndda/files/resource/WhatsInThatWoodPile.pdf

Skim down to Fig. 12 and you can see what the oak rays look like. May be some other hints that will help id the log too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

I know very little about woods in the great white north... but im guessin either red maple or elm.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

barbender

The bark looks like Black Ash, although the wood is a little light colored. Sure doesn't look like any sort of oak.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

I hope that the log is in better condition than the butt indicates.  I wonder what is going on with the center?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

I'm thinking the bark looks like ash.  That's not a butt cut log, as there is no flare.  I'm not familiar with black ash, so that could explain it.  The heart doesn't look unusual, for ash. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ox

Looks like ash or red maple.  I'd lean towards ash.  White, black, orange, pink, etc. - I have no idea.  Here it's just "ash".
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ron Wenrich

I'd lean to hard maple before red maple.  Bark isn't right for red maple.  One thing for sure, it ain't oak. 

red oaks lumber

wood doesen't match maple, either green ash or white ash . not black ash to much color variation. .
are the end grains porous or not noticable? maples are tight end grains ,ashes are porous .
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I will guess with some certainty that this is NORWAY MAPLE (Acer platanoides).  Both the bark and the color are correct.  It is an invasive species and is found in Ontario from time to time--in fact, it is found throughout North America, growing oftentimes where American elm used to grow.  As it often does not grow in a high density forest, it will have knots and poor form, as we can see.

So, what about the wood?  The tree is neither a hard maple (sugar and black) or a soft maple (red and silver), as these groupings apply only to the native U.S. species.  So, it cannot be sold as either hard or soft maple, but must be called Norway maple.  The properties of the wood are between soft and hard maple.  Sometimes we get nice grain patterns and sometimes, not.  Due to the knotty wood, and sometimes erratic grain, warp in drying can be an issue.  Fast drying is best.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

hunz

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on April 18, 2015, 10:07:35 PM
I will guess with some certainty that this is NORWAY MAPLE (Acer platanoides).  Both the bark and the color are correct.  It is an invasive species and is found in Ontario from time to time--in fact, it is found throughout North America, growing oftentimes where American elm used to grow.  As it often does not grow in a high density forest, it will have knots and poor form, as we can see.

So, what about the wood?  The tree is neither a hard maple (sugar and black) or a soft maple (red and silver), as these groupings apply only to the native U.S. species.  So, it cannot be sold as either hard or soft maple, but must be called Norway maple.  The properties of the wood are between soft and hard maple.  Sometimes we get nice grain patterns and sometimes, not.  Due to the knotty wood, and sometimes erratic grain, warp in drying can be an issue.  Fast drying is best.

Well there you have it from the Doc himself, I had a hunch it wasn't oak myself, aside from that I had no clue. Best of luck with sawerin' her up!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

brendonv

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

5quarter

Brendon...you must have one heck of a bucket truck. ;) :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

SwampDonkey

Norway maple would certainly be a good guess by the looks of it. Bark isn't right for any ash that grows up here.

To some people a tree is a tree, a tree is an oak, a tree is a maple, a spruce is a pine. You get the hang of it. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

Didn't think of Norway maple.  I sawed some of those.  The ones I sawed had good form, and no knots.  They were forest grown invasives and cut nice, clear lumber.  The bark was darker in color than the one pictured.  The end user did say that they would buy it with soft maple.  The color wouldn't match hard maple. 

Daren12

I don't think its Norway maple (soft maple). The log in the picture is to straight its very rare that you find them in the bush they usually grow around old buildings and when you are going to saw it you will find deep red streaks in it.  (that's my 2 cents on it :) )
127 mobile dimension
1 large saw dust shovel

SwampDonkey

Looks to me the but flare was cut off and lying in the pile beside it. I bet there was only this one log of any quality the rest is knotty and limbs from a yard grown tree. You can see the log there had been trimmed of lower limbs that healed over with bumps I think.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jemclimber

Please take a nice clear picture of the end grain and we'll give you a definitive answer. My telescope is not very powerful so I can only guess. My guess would be ash over Norway maple but a clear end grain shot will "put this to rest". (old saying)
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!