iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

any advice on a 8" jointer purchase?

Started by hackberry jake, February 25, 2014, 06:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

ive been doing it like larry for many years.... works for me.

36 coupe

Quote from: WDH on February 26, 2014, 07:59:00 AM
I flatten boards on the jointer before planing.  On boards that are wider than your jointer, you can take off the cutter guard and flatten the part of the board that will fit the jointer.  Then, attach a piece of plywood to the jointed face equal in width to the jointed face.  You now have a flat guide face to use in the planer.  With this method, you can get a couple of inches more than your jointer cutting width.  This is a method that I have read about, and I am going to try it too.
Friend bought a used 6 inch jointer.Guard was missing.I warned him not to use it until he put a guard on it.The knives were in bad shape.I sharpened them.He used it with out a guard so he has a finger that is a half inch shorter.Your choice..

WDH

I understand your point.  On a board wider than the jointer, the cutterhead is totally covered by the board, which lessens the risk. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

t f flippo

Jake, No doubt either one would be a good serviceable machine.
I have the Griz 8" parallel tables and spiral cutter and a 6" Rockwell with dovetail tables.

For me: I have not moved the 8" out-feed table since I assembled the jointer. The in-feed depth adjust is much easier and smoother than dovetails. Over the years I have to clean and service the dovetails. I think it will be a lot less with the parallels.

Spiral cutter: 
Much quieter than knives. Very much smoother cuts n finish,especially cross grain and knots.
Never fails 'I'm 15mins' from finishing a stack and the knives are to dull to continue....an hour later the fresh knives are in...........or 5 mins later the cutters on the spiral are fresh. If I hit a nail or bad knot with a knife it's a knife change and totally grind the nick out of the knife.Spiral cutter I just rotate the one or two cutters with the nick and keep working.

The two machines I bought from Grizzly I called tech. support and talked at length with them.They were easy to talk to and are a wealth of info and advice. Since the tech's sold me on the machine,I purchased thru them so they would get credit for the sale.

Sorry for the slow reply.Hope this helps.

t f flippo

To All: Good posts

I've had good luck with the '8" rabbit on the 10" board.Tack a true board in the rabbit and run it thru the planer.

Had a batch of poorly dried red oak for flooring.(poor sticking and not stacked flat.) Trued up a 2x10 plank just longer than the floor stock.Feed it thru the planer,stock on top the plank.Lite cuts till I got a flat face. Not the best results but close enough for the rustic flooring I'm doing and I didn't lose the stack of lumber.

Tom L

Quote from: 36 coupe on March 03, 2014, 06:50:43 AM
Quote from: WDH on February 26, 2014, 07:59:00 AM
I flatten boards on the jointer before planing.  On boards that are wider than your jointer, you can take off the cutter guard and flatten the part of the board that will fit the jointer.  Then, attach a piece of plywood to the jointed face equal in width to the jointed face.  You now have a flat guide face to use in the planer.  With this method, you can get a couple of inches more than your jointer cutting width.  This is a method that I have read about, and I am going to try it too.
Friend bought a used 6 inch jointer.Guard was missing.I warned him not to use it until he put a guard on it.The knives were in bad shape.I sharpened them.He used it with out a guard so he has a finger that is a half inch shorter.Your choice..

I agree they are dangerous machines,
Jake I bought an 8" parallelogram jointer from powermatic last year and it seems like a good machine
very heavy . easy to adjust and it has a spiral head that cuts very smooth
woodcraft had a sale that I think is going on now also and I saved 20% off the new price with free shipping when I bought it. with the money I saved with the sale I bought a stock feeder for it. glad I did , you can feed lots of material thru the jointer with the feeder and your hands get nowhere near the blades.
the only problem  I have had with powermatic machines is that their customer service dept,and tech dept, have no idea how to work any of their machines. their manuals showed the feeder mounting on the jointer on a flat part of the machine, when I received it there was no flat spot so I had to hard mount the jointer and build a separate stand next to the machine to handle the feeder. it was a lot of extra work that I didn't expect and I was really surprised that no one at powermatic new what a feeder was or how to connect it and they sell both of them.
you have to figure a lot of things out for yourself but they are nice machines.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

When I bought my planer I did some research and found a picture of Powermatic, Grizzly, Jet, Sunhill, and Geetech planers all coming out of the Geetech factory in Taiwan.  All were the same basic machine with slightly different features.  The Powermatic had real nice cast infeed and outfeed tables while Sunhill had a much cheaper roller table.

Since than Grizzly has shifted some of its production to mainland China, I suppose because manufacture is cheaper.  When they started, I noticed in the catalog they put a big banner on those machines made in Taiwan but nothing denotes the machines from the mainland.  I often wondered what the implication is, if any.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

I just bought the Grizzly GO544 Pro Industrial Planer with Spiral Head.  Shipping crate says Taiwan. 

hackberry jake

Theres a 12" grizzly on Washington dc craigslist for $500. Sure wish it was closer. I went and looked at a crescent 12" jointer from the 30s friday and didnt buy it. Just wasnt quite what I was looking for. The tables were short from the ground and short in length as well. Still on the prowl.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

hardtailjohn

I've had a 6" Grizzly for almost 20 years now ( ! ) and it's done everything I asked it to do. I've edged alot of aircraft spars and parts, and a bunch of sleigh and wagon parts as well.  I've been getting the "bug" to upgrade and was thinking about the 8" Grizzly too.
Not to sound dumb (but I often times do!), but what's supposed to be the advantage of the parallelogram? I know I sure don't use my jointer to it's full potential, so maybe I'm really missing something here?
I do think I'll go with an insert cutter. I haven't heard anyone that had one and didn't like it, and the guys I've talked to that do have them, love them, especially those that do some of the more "interesting" woods with lots of knots and swirls.  I like what t f flippo says about changing blades vs changing inserts... I'd probably be more inclined to keep it sharper that way.
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

hackberry jake

Quote from: WDH on March 04, 2014, 06:01:38 PM
I just bought the Grizzly GO544 Pro Industrial Planer with Spiral Head.  Shipping crate says Taiwan.
I know where to go the next time I have a whack of pecan now!

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Yes, it is gonna spoil me for sure. 

Dan_Shade

that's the planer that I have, WDH.  you will like it.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

I used the jointer a lot the last two days.  What a pleasure. 

hackberry jake

I read a review of an 8" grizzly jointer with the spiral head and they said it takes a little more force to push the board through. They figured it was because of the almost constant cutting of the spiral head. Have you noticed any of this WDH?

WDH

No, unless I guess that the cutters are dull.  I have never turned the carbide cutters yet in over three years, and I have ran a whack of lumber over it.  With knives, I would have had to have sharpened them at least three or four times by now. 

Thank You Sponsors!