iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What size walnut slabs sell the best?

Started by firefighter ontheside, May 01, 2018, 09:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I've got a bunch of 4/4 that is already air dried, so not sure about cutting more of that.  The last log I cut was about 5' long and I cut 8/4.  I've got a 10' log sitting on the mill that is about 18" diameter.  I'm thinking of cutting it 6/4, plus a mantle type piece with the pith.  My question is what do you sell the most of.  Also, I've got some smaller logs that are only about 8-10" and not sure what's the best use of those.  Any insight would be appreciated.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

moodnacreek

Because the thicker planks are harder to dry flat, I saw them 1/4" oversize so I can resaw the twisted ones it the years to come.

firefighter ontheside

That's something I hadn't thought of with thicker slabs.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

The thicker slabs are definitely worth more when kiln dried, flattened, and planed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

I found a guy not too far from me trying to sell a 3"x14"x6' slab with sapwood on both sides for $595!  That's $28/bf.  More power to him, but I think I'll be cheaper.  Definitely gonna build the solar kiln this summer.  The planer probably not gonna happen, but I could see a router planer jig.  I think that would be upon request.  I don't have enough time to do all slabs.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

rjwoelk

I would be seeing if he is selling then for that price or maybe asking that price.
Dont short change your self by going cheep. I have seen that game in the haying racket. Sell for the same or more but produce a better product. Now you can always come down in price.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on May 01, 2018, 08:44:54 PM
The thicker slabs are definitely worth more when kiln dried, flattened, and planed.
smiley_thumbsup
Many if not most customers don't have the capacity or skill to flatten big slabs, so won't plunk down big money for a potato chip looking hunk of wood.  First things first - mill them correctly.  Then stack them correctly.  Cut them thicker than you think you will need.  The excess can be used to flatten, which increases marketability.        

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

firefighter ontheside

Truly there is a difference between posting stuff for sale at a price and actually selling it.  I'm used to selling things on CL and asking more than I will take later.  I'd rather not do that with my lumber.  I want to have a quality product and pick the right price and sell it for that.
Yellowhammer, I know you're right.  I'm definitely working on having good quality stuff to sell and or use for myself.  I want to air dry this stuff as best as I can and then have a solar kiln to take it further down.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

OffGrid973

Cut em 3" thick and get yourself one of these to make smooth edges, seal them with anchor seal, and sell for $100 a slab...they will move like hot cakes and avoid the haggle when people want to waste time.

Fill your truck price is $2,000 and everyone is happy :)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-14-Amp-10-1-4-in-Corded-Circular-Saw-with-Electric-Brake-and-24T-Carbide-Blade-5104/203162041?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CTHD%7CG%7C0%7CG-BASE-PLA-AllProducts%7C&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI64SVvJvx2gIViC-BCh1TVQCiEAQYASABEgI1AvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNuC6b-b8doCFZSlyAodfekB_wa
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

firefighter ontheside

Interesting theory.  I have been making a 4" slab from each log containing the pith, but it pains me to cut so many that thick.  I just love to see each board as I cut it.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

YellowHammer

Our bread and butter walnut slab is sawn double live edge at 2-3/8" thick, wide as possible, away from the pith.  We air dry, then kiln dry, then sterilize.  Then flatten and plane to 2".  

One of our customer's favorite things is for us (don't tell anyone ;D) to use our track saw and trim one live edge off about 2 to 3 inches wide, and then flip it up on the back edge of the slab like a counter top back splash.  It give the piece extra texture, a thicker look, and shows off the grain of the wood.    

We even sell trimmed slab edges for people to buy.  The look great.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!