iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The art and science of stringing a bed

Started by Kevin, May 04, 2003, 07:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I worked at trying to string the bed on my LT-15 today.
I have it within 1/32".
I finally figured out the science involved.
Extend the center jacks and loosen the end jacks on the same rail and the bed rail bows up in the middle decreasing the distance between the rail and the string.
Extend the jacks on both ends of the same rail and loosen the center jacks and the bed rail bows down increasing the distance between the bed rail and the string.
The problem I encountered was getting the rails on either side to be the same distance from the string.
One rail I had no trouble with the adjustment but the other rail has some heavy steel plate bolted to the side of the rail to support the trailer wheel pivot screw which appears to act like a splint and restricts the bed rail movement in the center when adjusting the jack screws.
The bed rail only has limited movement and this is the reason that I can't get any closer than 1/32".
Next week I'll back those bolts off and see if I can squeeze out that 1/32".
...and now for the art ...

Kevin

Due to the enormous response along with all the cards, letters and phone calls I received from this thread I`m bringing it back to the top.  ;D

My LT15 still wasn't quite perfect today but I found the reason it wasn't cutting square and fixed the problem.
I placed a board on the bed the other day and checked all the dogs with a square.
They were dead on.
Today I did the same thing and noticed a space between the adjustment bolt and the bed.
I put pressure on one of the dogs and it went back until the bolt made contact with the bed ... out of square.
I just wanted to mention this in case someone else should have the same problem.
The LT is producing some fine sticks again!  

8)

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

biziedizie

Kevin I for one am sorry for all the calls I made to you but I just thought that you needed someone to lean on in your time of need. :D :D

I find that every once in awhile things get out of square with the log dogs on my mill so I check them all the time. I hate it when I flip the cant on the third slice and see that things aren't square.
  Glad to hear that you solved your problems with the help of everyone here. ;D ;D

Steve

WoodChucker

Kevin, thanks for the info, because I'm new I need all the tips i can get! :)

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!