iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How did you get here??? where ya from???

Started by Gordon, July 28, 2001, 08:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

Dang nab it I just knew I forgot something. ;D

Just gotta remember baby steps first we walk and then we march. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

But yes Jeff you are correct is sure only takes a second to fill out that info. I did it and it didn't even hurt.  ;D

Got to head home now to a real puter
Gordon

Frank_Pender

Age: 57       Length of time sawing: 10+years     Working in the woods: most of my life    Family:  in the industry for last 100 years.    Home site:  70 acre Cert. Tree Farm   2 Mobile Dimension Sawmills,( 1portable, 1 stationary)  found the site via "Woodweb" ;   cut primarely dimensional lumber.  Live outside Dallas, Oregon  (West of Salem 25 miles+-,  Retired from teaching after 30 years; Been retired 3 years; finding of site via woodweb.com;  been operating a kiln last two years, custom drying;
Frank Pender

allyson

Hi all!
 My name is Billy. My wife is Allyson (where the username came from). I am in Pennsylvania. (Jefferson County). I found this site through a search engine I think? Great site! 8) 8) 8) I am self-employed. My main business is construction and we do logging also. We are trying to get into some milling and pallets. My partner has made pallets in the past, so we are headed that direction. The name of our company is ACI. :)

Jeff

Hey Billy, welcome.

I've noticed you lurking out there since you signed up last month ;) Glad to have you aboard and postin.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

I guess a lot of us are here because of the same drug problem...we got drug over here from WoodWeb by Tom.

I'm a telephone man in Tallahassee, Fla, and I live near Chattahoochee, Fla. I have 1 wife, 7 kids, 11 g-kids, 5 horses, 17 dogs (anybody wanna puppy?) 3 aggravatin' goats, and too many cats to count.
I'm planning to retire in the near future, and plan to buy a sawmill this spring to get my little retirement business started.

I'm really glad to be a part of this great forum. I'm learning a lot, and feel comfortable enough to participate with all of you fine folks. THANKS!!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

allyson

I forgot to add that I have 4 kids. (3 boys, 1 girl). Thanks for the welcome Jeff and for the great site.  :) 8)

TxLogger

I got here from link at woodweb.  I've been doing custom sawing & logging full time for 1 year now, small operation, trying to make living to support 3 kids & 1 wife.  First year been a very tough one.  Jury is still out on final verdict.

I'm located in the Piney Woods part of East Texas, in a little town called Carthage.

Ron Wenrich

Frank:

I worked as a choker setter for Bohemia Lumber back in '72.  Bohemia was located in Cottage Grove, but I worked at their Elkside site, which is located out around Winchester Bay.

I worked on road building, setting chokers behind D-7s, yarders and high-lead.  I was supposed to go over to the balloons, but moved on to greener pastures.

Bohemia still in business?  Anyone using balloons?

I also did a summer stint with the BLM down in Medford.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

timberbeast

I got here through the Buyer's site,  kinda like Corley.  I enjoy forums where folks get along,  and never make personal attacks.  This site is such.  I live in Mayville,  WI,  and own 160 acres in the U.P.'s "no man's land",  cedar swamp.  Near McFarland,  which is about smack between Escanaba and Marquette.  I have a Mobile Dimension mill,  stationary,  and have been selling lumber and logs and posts the last couple years after spending 23 years as a machinist.  Looks like the factory is looming in the near future,  since my little tractor is in death throes,  after the governor stuck during a skid.  She's in the woods,  and I can't get my wood out.  I cut mostly cedar,  have been in one way or the other since I was about 14,  previously on a part-time basis.  Yep,  sawdust and woods are addictive,  my father grew up in a logging camp on the Parker Spur road just north of where my property is.  He became a major executive,  but still spent his free time logging and builbing furniture.  He has passed,  but I'll go on,  one way or the other.  You can't keep a man down,  if he has the proclivity to work,  and as you all know,  a winter in the confines of a factory may be unwanted,  but it is cake compared to a one-man deep woods logging operation!!!
Where the heck is my axe???

Frank_Pender

Ron,  If i recall correctly Larson sold the Bohemia sold the mill.   I am not sure of when, but I will do some research.  I have not heard of any baloon logging of late.  I will seasrch that for you also.  Come and visit some time, Ron.  I searve more than a can of cold peas for workers lunches.  
Frank Pender

Ron Wenrich

Yea, I would hold out for a cold Oly.   :D

Jeff

Ok Folks, and mostly new folks or all you older members that have just have been procrastinating (Where is my spell check? :-/)

There have been 48 new members since this post and the previous post in this thread. 3 just today. Lets hear from ya. Even if you don't post regular but just kinda sit in the corner (Which is fine) and laugh at Kevin, here is a chance to at least post once! Don't worry, Kevin is harmless and can't get across the border anyways.

swampwhiteoak

Looking over this thread I see I never posted.  whoops.  Way to keep us on our toes, Jeff.

Got here via the buyers network, someone told me about this bf calculator and I just wandered in from there.

I'm a guvment forester in Ohio, working on private lands. Originally from KY, transplanted here for what seemed like a good reason at the time. Young compared to the rest of the crowd here, no wife, no kids  ;D (and I'll keep it that way if I can help it).  Nice crowd to post with here, so I spend more time on this site than I probably should.  

psychotic1

Bruce from southeast Alaska.  A transplant from western Iowa - watch it Charlie...
I followed Kevin's link to the timber net site, then checked out the forum... So Jeff you better start being nicer to Kevin- he got me here.  Wait, ya'll may not be quite so happy about that.   hmm.  I was attracted by both the information exchanged and the humor.

I process (clean, freeze, pack, and ship) seafood for a living.
No wife or kids 8) But no mill either :'( YET!
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

CHARLIE

Wow Psychotic1 is an Iowaegian! :o   I live in Minnesota but moved here from Florida back in 1972. To my surprise, I think there are more people in SE Minnesota from Iowa than there are from Minnesota.  Now, what I wonder is........why are all the Iowaegians leaving Iowa?  Are there any left down there?  Here at work I'm surrounded by Iowaegians. They're all pretty nice but ya can't talk to 'em much without them talking about bird's eyes or something like that....oh yeah.....I remember what kind of bird's eyes they talk about. It's the hawk. Can't figure out why they talk about the hawkeyes so much. Wonder if they're good with grits.  How do you fix'em?  Boil 'em or Fry 'em?  ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

TnAndy

I came from reference on Woodweb ....spssst..they're afixing to start a Forest Forum  

Been around and in and out of the forest biz for a long time.
Worked summers for the USFS in the 60's doing TSI, put myself thru college in the 70's with GI Bill ( Mr. and Mrs.Bill's son) and cutting firewood....back when there was an "energy" crisis... Bought some timberland in the 80's and an LT40 in 91. Worked at a scragg mill locally helping them set up the pallet end of that biz.  Do woodworking and light construction now to pay the bills.  Love these rainey days !!

andy davenport
Price, quality, service....
    Pick any two

Jeff

Welcome Andy. Let em start one, there already using the calculators we developed HERE!  Make yourself at home. :)

Ron Wenrich

Hey Bruce

I spent some time inspecting utility poles in Iowa back in '72.  Spent time in Hampton, Iowa City, and Rock Rapids.

Those people made you feel like you lived there all your life, especially up in Rock Rapids.  If they would have had trees, I might of stayed.

Bud Man

Grew up, and now again,  live in Memphis, Tn. area.               Linked in from woodweb.                                                      75 forestry grad from Miss State.                                          Recenty retired from home imp. construction.                        Looking for farm and woodlot combo to purchase.                  Future :Gentleman farmer, selective custom bandsawing, drying , selling wood products and trying  to remember and utilize what I learned in forestry.                                            Age : Middle 50's  It's long over do !!                                      I will particapate, but i got to warn ya, I talk in riddles and sometimes ramble.                                                             Great Site==Upbeat==lots of variety and informative.        (Looks like a hydraulic woodmizer with all the bells and whistles)                                                      
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

psychotic1

I knew this was coming ::)

Charlie, all them Iowans you keep running into in SE Minny-ha-ha don't acutally live there.  They just commute up to the jobs that the Johnson's couldn't handle.  Just like you, they needed someone to keep track of all the things them scandihoovians couldn't figure out why anyone would want to know anyhow. :D

Ps. You be careful up there Charlie,  I know way too many folks in law enforcement up your way.  I'll just tell them to look for Mr Potatoehead. ;D

Yes Ron, they are some awfully nice folks.  I grew up on the western side along the Missouri river, and we did have trees.  walnut, oak, cherry, willow.  Sometimes I miss it, but then I'll get a report from the TV  or radio about it being 40 below, or 110 in the shade, then I don't miss it so much anymore.  Glad I got to grow up there though.   :)
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

CHARLIE

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Andy! There's a great bunch of knowledgeable (where's that spellchecker?) here. I'm basically not trainable, but even I have learned stuff about forestry and sawing trees. That's a mighty pretty flag too. 8)

Psychotic1, I just don't get it. You're living in Alaska and complaining about how cold it gets in Ioway?? :-/  One more thing....are those Iowegians that work in Minnehaha responsible for all the taxes I have to pay to live here? :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Welcome Andy,

Psssssst.....we've got something special here.....you'll see.

Glad to have you aboard.....you will have to put up with that Charlie guy........he's right..."untrainable" ,  I 've known him for a while.....he's my little brother and a pretty good off-loader.

LT40 huh?  I have an LT40HD that I purchased in 90.....way back in the 1900's.........snicker.  I like to say that.

I hope you will take the time to type up some of your tales....I like stories....especially about sawing. :)

John-NY

I'm a relatively new member.  Got here through a post by Dan with reference to pruning pine trees posted on www.yesterdaystractors.com . After having dealt with the yesterdays tractor format for quite some time, I mistakenly questioned the format of this site. :-[   In retrospect, I truly didn't give it enough time.  It's all falling in place now as I visit on a regular basis.  My slow ISP hookup doesn't help anything!  Quite a nice bunch of people here!  :)

I'm from upstate New York - near Binghamton.  I'm the Safety Director for our Township, past politician, past Parks Commissioner for the Town and Park Supervisor for the County.  I own, and operate with my wife, a private campground. www.pinevalleycampground.com   Three grown kids (2 sons and 1 daughter). Five grandkids - aren't they great.

Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your group!
John-NY

Jeff

Cool John! What? No cabins? Looks like someplace I would try to stay if I make a trip east this summer, which I really would like to do. But I don't RV it,  I am a cabin guy. Its cheaper.

John, you should be sure to add your website to your profile so its clickable on every post you make, or you could add it to your signature file if you want to make it fancy.

Also!  Gordon has taken the huge task of being the Forestry Forums Link master (God). The interface is almost ready to start adding links and we have a special section for forum members to add theirs. There is a button at the top you may have noticed that will be turned on when its ready. I'll let Gordon make that announcment.

John-NY

Jeff,
If I didn't have so many irons in the fire, believe me, I'd have cabins.  We've talked about it for years, but there's not enough time in the day - especially in the summer. :'(  Our recreation program and cooking on weekends takes up a lot of my weekends - and I work at the other job during the week.

I don't even have time to operate my Woodmizer LT 40 anymore.  I'm looking forward to retirement from my "real job" at the end of this year so I can slow down and play with all of my toys.  I sold the ultralight (lawn chair with wings) two summers ago.  I made my runway into the camp entrance road - with gates.  Couldn't get the gate card in and out fast enough to fly through there anymore! :D

John
John-NY

Thank You Sponsors!