iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 372 XP

Started by Tombstone, May 14, 2008, 10:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombstone

looking for a full wrap handle if anyone is looking to get rid of one. Also wondering if a 32" bar is too much for it?
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

jokers

I think a 32 is a little long for a 372 but I suppose it depends on how you use it. I know a few guys who have Husky full wraps that they swapped out when they bought their west coast 372s, give me a couple of days to see if anyone wants to get rid of one.

TexasTimbers

32" is a little much for a stock 372. I run one occassionally on my modded (just the muff) 372 and it does fine in softwoods, and some softer hards.

I even made a post here in the past about how much I liked the 32" bar on it, but after using my 28" again for a while one day after I ran out of loops for the 32", it really much better with a 28".  Of course with a 24" on a properly tuned 372 with a modded muffler, 50:1 high octane it is not even funny. ;D

I normally run 40:1 btw. I think 50 is probably a little dangerous on a modded saw but I can't say that from a technicians point of view just my gut feeling.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Tombstone

I was thinking that the 28 was the way to go but I thought I would ask and see. Thanks for the info!
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

Tombstone

Jokers,

Thanks alot for looking into that! I really appreciate it!

WildDog

Tombstone for what it's worth i only cut hardwood and a lot of it seasoned  and run a 28" on my 372 with skip tooth this still tends to bog down at times, on our Aussie hardwoods the 24" bar full tooth is the bees knees, especially for cutting seasoned firewood.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

TexasTimbers

Dog,

I'd have to wonder about that saw. Bogging down a 28" skip tooth? That ain't right even for a stock 372.  :-\

Dale Hatfield

I agree with Wilddog.  I have put a 24 on a 372 and didnt like the results. I think its best with a 20 inch bar . Any need for longer bar and out come the 395.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

TexasTimbers

Dale,

Not speaking in WildDog's stead, but my interpretation of his post, knowing that "knees bees" means the same thing as our "cat's meow", is that he's saying the saw is in its sweet spot with a 24" bar full comp.

It appears you are saying that you don't even favor that. Man all I can say is that I must have forgotten how much weaker the saw runs stock. Although mine is basically stock, that muffler mod must give it more umph than what i remember because I can walk through most any wood with a 28" bar and most of it buried without too much bog.

If I throw my full weight onto the saw sure it will bog, but with a sharp chain it makes lots of big chips and good headway. You fellas need to open that muffler up IMO.

SawTroll

Quote from: TexasTimbers on May 16, 2008, 07:27:48 AM
32" is a little much for a stock 372. I run one occassionally on my modded (just the muff) 372 and it does fine in softwoods, and some softer hards.

I even made a post here in the past about how much I liked the 32" bar on it, but after using my 28" again for a while one day after I ran out of loops for the 32", it really much better with a 28".  Of course with a 24" on a properly tuned 372 with a modded muffler, 50:1 high octane it is not even funny. ;D

I normally run 40:1 btw. I think 50 is probably a little dangerous on a modded saw but I can't say that from a technicians point of view just my gut feeling.

Hopefully your chains are full skip! :-\
Information collector.

Dale Hatfield

I cut mainly oak,maple,hickory. The saw will take a 24 and do all right but in my mind it puts out of the sweet spot . I run Semi skip chiseled sharpend chisel chain. I bore cut every tree  and usually in good timber Im better than 3/4 of bar on each side on the bore cut.
If i dont have  enough bar on the 372  I use a 394 with a 36 bar.
And thats really too much bar for that saw for my liking. But thats what I had  and didnt have to buy new. I think its would be better suited with the 28.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Maineloggerkid

I run a 24" bar with regular chain on my 372 with no problem in hardwood. I think it would run a 28 in hardwood without a really horrible decrease in power. I am going to a stihl ms460 with a 30" bar soon though. I have a pine lot to cut, and I want to run a 20" bar after.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

TexasTimbers

I guess we are just in different camps Dale. I always run a 36" bar on my 395 and am very happy with it.

Probably just a matter of preference.

Sawtroll, yes. .Full comp. I was running skip before the mod but I run full comp on a 28" bar and I don't need to take it too easy on it either. Laying into her a little is just fine. like I said, can't throw all my weight on it but she don't bog . . . .

WildDog

Yeah Dale my appologies like TexasTimbers said, "Bees Knees" is the same as your "Cats Meow" (a new one on me :D) I havn't used the 20" bar on the 372, I've got a 20" on the 61.

TexasTimbers I feel I am running too rich, in the past I've run 40:1 in my saws. Since buying the 372xp on the advice of my local Husky dealer/service tech I have gone to the other end of the scale at 25:1 his argument is to keep saw temps down due to Australia's generally high ambient temp this might be right for summer but I live in one of the coldest areas on the mainland, it's not winter yet and yesterday we had sleet with snow predicted for today, nothing like you guys would experience over there but cold enough. The next lot of fuel I mix will be 33:1, Husquvarna recommends 33:1 for saws approaching 80cc which is the crossover from low to high ratios.

When I first got the saw I was milling White Box Hardwood logs for a mate that modifies his saws for competion post ripping, he was using my 372 28" to block these partly seasoned big logs into billets putting the saw through its paces by boreing into them etc he wasn't impressed and said to at least drop back in bar size.

I like cutting, building and moving things but my lack of mechanickin ability is a common joke in our household :(, so nothing much is modified around here, it's all straight out of the box. 

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Thank You Sponsors!