iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Estimating log diameters in a standing tree.

Started by etroup10, February 25, 2015, 11:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

etroup10

Since it is possible to estimate the volume of lumber in a tree when you know dbh and height, is it possible to estimate the diameter of logs higher up in the tree? For instance, if I have a tree that is 20" dbh, and has four 16' logs, is there a way to estimate the diameter of the 3rd log up from the base?
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

square1

Jeff

You need to know what form class in order to estimate the tree volume, not just the DBH and height, and form class changes from species to species and by geographic region.

Take a look at the toolbox tree value volume calculator. It has a guide to form class.

There is no standard across the board.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

square1

Yes, let me correct myself "Quick, unscientific, WAG is 1" per 8'" ;)

BradMarks

Jeff is correct in that form class varies by species and region and growing conditions. There are tools, such as an expensive Relaskop that you could get an accurate diameter at any height.  And then there is "the thumb is 20 inches, the pinky is 12 inches" old timer estimate. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!