iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another potential forestry student...

Started by CJennings, September 06, 2009, 08:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celliott

Good for you!
I found this topic again, and it was interesting for me to reread it as well. I kind of had an interesting couple years myself. I went to Paul Smiths right out of high school. Came home after the first semester. Reasons being money issues, but primarily I don't think I was ready to be a full time college student. My grades weren't there, and my motivation certainly wasn't. So, I did some community college classes, math, english, and the like. Was also working part time in a factory. Making good money. But I realized after about a year there that I wasn't going anywhere working there. I guess my time spent there was motivation enough to get me back in school. So, I am back at Paul Smiths, going for my AAS in Forest Technology. Maybe a bachelors degree down the road, I don't know. But, I am going to be getting a degree in the spring, and hopefully getting out of the factory and into the woods.
College is going alot better this time around. Made dean's list once, and I am an RA (residential assistant) this year. I am excited to be done college and get a degree this time. I can't wait to get on the job experience either.
Good luck to you CJennings!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

CJennings

Good luck to you too, celliott! Life's too short to whittle it away miserably in a factory. I had a job like for a few months, standing in front of a conveyor belt packing boxes all day. Notice I only had it a few months, just until I had enough money to get out of there.  ;)

I've also done substitute teaching which wasn't such a bad thing but I've found I can't stand being inside too long. Since I'm working only part time these days I get to the woods a few hours every day, which might be good, I'll have to memorize a lot of trees and their Latin names this Fall...

Black_Bear

Quote from: CJennings on February 09, 2013, 02:38:57 PM
I'm headed to UMaine this Fall for their Master of Forestry program.

Who will be your advisor? 

CJennings

Black_Bear

Quote from: CJennings on February 15, 2013, 06:52:53 AM
Quote from: Black_Bear on February 14, 2013, 08:11:06 PM
Who will be your advisor?

Dr. Robert Seymour.

A more dedicated man there is not. I used to love just popping in on him in his office and discussing the finer points of silviculture. He wanted me to sign on for a Masters, but I was 34 when I graduated as an undergrad and I wanted out of there - not because I couldn't stand the place but I was ready to get on with my life. If I was 22 when I graduated I would have definitely gone for the Masters and possibly a doctorate.

You may be monitoring the undergrad silvi/ecology labs, and will spend plenty of time outdoors. Just remember that he is a "silviculturist" and that there is no such term as "silviculturalist".  ;) 

CJennings

That's good to hear, and I'll try to remember that. Silviculturalist doesn't really roll off the tongue too well anyways.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!