iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone want to go Ice Skating? Winter storm of 09!

Started by semologger, January 27, 2009, 08:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

Just come on over to southeast Mo.  How are you guys doing Arkansawer. My old lady was trying to get some trucks down there with generators but the roads are being tough on the drivers. Hope we dont lose power i heard flippins store the lights are flickering.

Larry

Freezing rain or rain for the last 21 hours.  Went for a walk this morning along the forest edge...big snaps, followed by the crackle of smaller limbs breaking, than the pop when the whole mess hits the ground.  The deer have decided to spend the day in the fields it looks like.  So far we have been lucky with the power still on and no damage.  Others not near as fortunate.  Nephew and family over towards Arkie land says it much worse there.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ARKANSAWYER

It just took me an hour to get the 10 miles from the house to the mill.  Power is out most places and goes in and out here.  Wires and trees are down and more going all the time.  We have an inch of sleet and 3/4 to 1 inch of ice on everything.  It is 28 degrees and still comming down.  When the temps drop tonight things are going to be tough.  Entergy says 48 hours till we get power at home.  Tree in front yard busted off about half way up and just missed the house.  I hope the rest will make a nice log.

ARKANSAWYER

Cedarman

Are you folks going to hire the "Saw for Hire" people?  I hear they have experience with clean up of ice storms. ;D ;D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

okmulch

Well I went ice skating with my truck yesterday here in Stillwater, I was doing good until a bridge jumped out in front of me. :o I wasin our subdivision and was almost within site of the house when truck lost its grip coming down the hill with the curves. Slid over and hit guard rail on bridge.Broke drivers side suspension and front axle braces are bent.
This hill claims some one every year and I guess it was my turn.

Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

semologger

good thing ya wasnt hurt okmulch. we still havent lost power yet hopefully we can hold on. If we lose it we will be heading somewere with heat i guess cant let the little one get cold. We have a few limbs down in the yard but nothing major. my driveway looks like a arch with all the small trees laid over. good luck guys.

Ianab

Ouch  :o

Looking at the kinks in the guard rail you aren't the first to hit it?  ;)

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

I just talked to Lindy on the phone. Power's been down since about 3:00 this morning. She got the generator going and is doing ok. She says it sounds like a battlefield outside with all the trees and branches snapping. Her and the boy have plenty of firewood, water drawn up and lot's of grub. She stocked up on everything before it all hit. She's a tough cookie. They'll be fine. They're sitting by the heat stove watching TV.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

semologger

My better half is a Distric Manager for a large farm and home store and her phone will not stop ringing. They are trying to get generators out for all the stores. They have had problems getting the trucks out to the stores. They are sendind out truckloads of generators. Hopefully they can get down to you guys in Arkansas I know you guys need the help. One truck has been stuck on the road for 24 hours now trying to make it there.

okie

I am ready for this stuff to stop. Never in my recollection have we had as many ice storms as we have in the last 3 years running. been falling here since yesterday afternoon and I guess it wont stop till tonight sometime. My 2 wheel drive truck hates this stuff and my ramcharger wouldnt start so I called in today, boss was ticked off.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Ironwood

It is headed my way. I LOVE tire chains. Most folks today don't even know they exsist. I have them for nearly everything wheeled that we own/ have on the property. The only exception is my wife's Odessey, I need to order some "cables" for her as there is little clearence in the wheel well. I can't tell you the number of times they have saved my butt, either in snow/ ice or mud. I carry "quikie" chains for my truck (F-550) they slip thru the outer bud rim and take just a few seconds to attach. You can put them in every bud rim hole except where the valve core is. They'll save yer fanny. You can even make yer own with a small legnth of chain and a 5/16 bolt/nut. The fancy store bought ones have webbing, but it's not necessary.

Hang in there, hopefully it'll pass soon enough.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WH_Conley

We are getting the ice now. Last one we had electric was off 11 days and destroyed the timber industry in around here for several years to come. Everybody has gas for generators and food layed in. Hope that means it won't get as bad.
Bill

olyman

Quote from: okie on January 27, 2009, 04:45:51 PM
I am ready for this stuff to stop. Never in my recollection have we had as many ice storms as we have in the last 3 years running. been falling here since yesterday afternoon and I guess it wont stop till tonight sometime. My 2 wheel drive truck hates this stuff and my ramcharger wouldnt start so I called in today, boss was ticked off.
better boss ticked--than you dead---same thing used to happen where i worked--until that lawsuit against walmart the guy won--they no longer bothered us if the conditions warranted not coming in--

Larry

Lost power at 1 PM...I'm on generator power now.   Big trees are breaking...I would never have thought that it would sound like thunder.  I can't get out on our drive because of down trees plus two inches of ice on the drive.  Dad lives in downtown Springdale a block from the power substation...he was evacuated about an hour ago to a senior center with power.  News is saying in Madison county 99% are without power.

Yes Ironwood chains are good...I may chain up the 4wd tractor in the morning to clear a path.

On the good side its supposed to be in the 50's Saturday...I'm going fishin iffen I can get the mess cleaned up by then. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

okie

Larry, in the (I think it was ) January of 07 ice storm we was out of power for over a week. The trees breaking really sounded like a war zone. saw a maple that was about 18'' dia broke in half about 4' up. Amazing what this stuff will do. Weather turned to snow now, got a little over an inch on top of the ice so I think I'll get out tomorrow.
Good luck guys hope everyone stays safe.
I bet all the northerners on here are rolling their eyes at us  ::) :D.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Warbird

Quote from: okie on January 27, 2009, 07:01:37 PM

I'm not.  When you don't have to deal with it all the time, it is very difficult when it hits.  We deal with it a lot, so we are more prepared.  I feel for you guys and hope you all stay safe.

CLL

I lived in Alabama in 93 and we had a major ice storm and 12" of snow. You could hear pine trees snapping a mile away. I personally think it should be against the law to plant a pine tree within a 100' of any power lines or houses, just a disaster waiting to happen.
Too much work-not enough pay.

LeeB

Just got off the phone with Lindy again. Trees are crashing all around. We had a real big hickory in the front of the house that just went down. Took out the green house roof but no other damage. The house is good so far. I have taken out most of the trees close to the house anyway, worried about fire. Never considered ice  >:( Her and Paul and one of the neighbor boys are all doing well so far. The neighbor kid is pretty much stuck at the house for. She says you can't safely get back down the driveway because of ice and fall down. Looks like I'll be having fun when I get home this time.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Gary_C

Quote from: okie on January 27, 2009, 07:01:37 PM

No way! After surviving a few of those ice storms I would not laugh at anyone going thru one of those disasters. We had a Haloween storm one year and we were on a tractor generator for almost two weeks. Took about seventy gallons of fuel a day.

Just be careful as there will be limbs falling for a long time, even after the ice is gone.

So we are feeling your pain.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

pineywoods

For  folks up in arkansas, church group here has 3 well equipped disaster recovery trailers (chain saws, pole saws, ropes,  bobcat with grapple) and a large self-contained portable kitchen. All maned by volunteers. Probably available if needed. Equipment is located in Ruston La.

edit:  should add there's no charge, it's a "help your neighbor deal"
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ironwood

Ice is never fun, north, south, east, west. The freezing rain just started here >:(.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

stonebroke

[/quote]

As a northerner I would rather have six feet of snow than one inch of ice. At least you can plow the snow. Stay safe and we will be praying for all you southerners.

Stonebroke

okie

Wow, I just figured it would be like just another day to y'all. I for one appreciate everyones kind words and encouragements. Good luck to everyone that has been in this storm, and all that its about to hit, it is a big one by our standards.

thecfarm

I'm not laughing when it comes to ice.I've been seeing this big storm on the news.What a mess.We are due for some big snow amount.That is fine with me.I would rather have the snow than the ice.Snow don't bother us much,but that ice really slows,I mean stop,alot of things.We may get a foot and a half of snow.That is a big storm for us.Most times we only get 6 or 8 inches per storm.
We had a ice storm in '98.What a mess.I went out and video the storm.Tree limbs was crashing down and making a lot of noise.We was without power for a week.Probaly 2-3 hours from me we had another ice storm this year.We was lucky we got snow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

okie you guys have my respect and sympathies for this. Two years ago we got one and lost power for a week. Worst part was trying to run a business with minimal power on generator. I'd rather have a full blown blizzard with a foot of snow than an ice storm any day.

Thank You Sponsors!