iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening Cost

Started by vfauto, July 09, 2012, 08:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

What are you all paying for sharpening your band blades?
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Magicman

10 blades to WM Resharp cost $102.88 which includes shipping both ways.  The cost for sharpening only is $7.00 per blade.

If I have a rejected blade that is replaced then subtract the $7.00 for sharpening and add 18.90 for a new replacement blade.  I normally have one or two rejects, which are usually broken blades.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on July 09, 2012, 09:35:15 PM
10 blades to WM Resharp cost $102.88 which includes shipping both ways.  The cost for sharpening only is $7.00 per blade.

If I have a rejected blade that is replaced then subtract the $7.00 for sharpening and add 18.90 for a new replacement blade.  I normally have one or two rejects, which are usually broken blades.

Magic, can you send in broken blades along with other blades to be resharpened  and they will replace them?
I have had BAD blades replaced but never have sent back broken blades along with the rest.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Yup, just put the broken ones in the box with the rest.  I get rid of them that way and my blade count stays the same.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mrpink

a local guy here in town charges $7.50 per blade. turn around time is is less then a week if your in no hurry. can be done in a couple of days if you are in a hurry.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on July 09, 2012, 09:42:18 PM
Yup, just put the broken ones in the box with the rest.  I get rid of them that way and my blade count stays the same.

I have learned something new this evening. Tomorrow, I will go to the land fill and see if they will dig up my old blades from the last 14 months.  :D

Thanks Magic

steamsawyer

Hey David,

Next time you break a blade, double it over and break it in the middle again.
that way you might get two back in the return mail.  :D :D :D

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: steamsawyer on July 09, 2012, 10:38:23 PM
Hey David,

Next time you break a blade, double it over and break it in the middle again.
that way you might get two back in the return mail.  :D :D :D

Alan

I can see I'm gonna need a BIGGER shipping box.  :D

losttheplot

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Jim_Rogers

MM: why are you sending in only ten, I use the flat box and send in 15.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

vfauto

Does that include cleaning and setting also?
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

bandmiller2

I only sharpen for local guys and get anywhere from $6.00 to $7.50 depending on legnth and quantity. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Riggs

I have mine done locally, $5 each.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

vfauto

Quote from: Riggs on July 10, 2012, 08:20:44 AM
Does that include cleanning and setting also?

Riggs

Quote from: vfauto on July 10, 2012, 08:52:47 AM
Quote from: Riggs on July 10, 2012, 08:20:44 AM
Does that include cleanning and setting also?

I usually clean mine as a courtesy before I take them. He sharpens and sets them. On a side note, my blades are only 144" not like the bigger ones most of these guys use. I would guess that the length figures in on cost.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

swampbuggy

I called WM today to get some sharpening done. They only do WM bands so that their sharpener has the right gullet shape. I have both WM and Norwood blades :( guess its time for a new purchase..
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

backwoods sawyer

I do my own sharpening. I have both the old style woodmizer sharpener and a Cooks sharpener with a duel tooth setter. It takes a couple hours to run thru and set and sharpen 10 saw. A while back I was having trouble getting sharpening stones from Cooks saw, so in my searching I found a company called Diagrind in Clare Ireland. They make CBN sharpening stones that will fit most all the brand name sharpening equipment. You need to specify wet or dry sharpening. Since I have a small shop and sparks are a concern I use a woodmizer pan and pump on the Cooks sharpener to wet the wheel.
I bought a box of new saws $340 and a grinding wheel (close to $100) for the Cooks sharpener.  I resharpened most of that box a dozen times. A couple were damaged beyond repair.  I got about 100 sharpening out of the one stone. What I found was that the stone was very cool running and produced very nice crisp corners when viewed under magnification. I got real good run times out of all the saws.
Add in a couple hour to sharpen 10 saw for about 20 hours total. That would bring my per use cost to about $8.50 and per sharpening to $5.00 if I got paid to sharpen saws, but since I don't that brings it down to $1.00 per sharpening.
Now I am using the CBN wheels on both sharpeners with excellent results. I cut close to 3,000 bft of Oak yesterday using one saw and it was not showing any signs of being ready to change.
These wheels have helped my bottom line.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

customsawyer

If you sharpen your own blades get one of those CBN wheels. You won't be disappointed. Don't ask how I know.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Quote from: vfauto on July 10, 2012, 08:08:45 AM
Does that include cleaning and setting also? 

Yes, that is the total cost.  MM

Magicman

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on July 10, 2012, 07:54:42 AM

DanG if I know.  My blades came in flat boxes of 10 each.  I sent them to Resharp in that flat box and they came back in a cube.

I am OK with the cubes, especially since I do not have any flat boxes anyway.  Also, my storage is better suited for cubes.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on July 10, 2012, 08:26:37 PM
Quote from: Jim_Rogers on July 10, 2012, 07:54:42 AM

DanG if I know.  My blades came in flat boxes of 10 each.  I sent them to Resharp in that flat box and they came back in a cube.

I am OK with the cubes, especially since I do not have any flat boxes anyway.  Also, my storage is better suited for cubes.

I wish my new blades came in a cube, but I'll take the flat box. I think the flat box is easier for FED-EX.

Jim_Rogers

10 in a flat box. That's probably because of the blade your getting.

I get 15 in my flat box. But that's probably because of the 1 1/4" blade that I'm getting.

I send out in a flat and they come back in a flat. But I carry them to job sites in a cube, sometimes both.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

???  I don't know.  1¼" 10° blades.

customsawyer

If you go to the 1 ¾" blades they come 8 in a box. I think it has to do with the weight for shipping. ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!