iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Silencing mill engines?

Started by Brad_bb, February 07, 2013, 09:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Could put a cheapy box fan up by the ceiling too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Compensation

The blade doors are the loudest thing on mine. Nothing a little foam camper shell gasket cant fix.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

pyrocasto

I decided to put a CO meter in on the wall I work next to when sawing to see what happened. With both my 16ft bay doors open on the building I still get it up to ~50ppm, which will set the alarm off after a couple hours. I'm getting ready to buy a 2" exhaust hose to run it outside and into a muffler. That way I can cut with the doors open or closed, and I can cut any hour of the day with closed doors without worries of the neighbors complaining.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Compensation on February 08, 2013, 10:22:56 AM
The blade doors are the loudest thing on mine. Nothing a little foam camper shell gasket cant fix.
You beat me to it, the doors make half the noise.  What's that stuff you refer to? Looks like mine are vibrating at the door posts that fit inside the holes in  the blade housing.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

waho

In Europe, the only power for an LT 10 is electric.

Ianab

Quote from: Schramm on February 08, 2013, 07:49:01 AM
Well I opted for the 10HP when I bought my mill I am hoping to set it up this weekend in my woodshop.  This raises a question, when I am running the machine indoors can I simply open the overhead door or is it better to find a way to exhaust it differently?  I would think that opening the overhead would be enough.

Let me know
Rob

I'd be very careful about running any gas powered machine inside, even with a door open. Unless you have a flow though ventilation, and a bit of breeze, you will be breathing CO.  :-\

It's not like running something for a couple of minutes to tune or move it, it's going to run for hours as you saw. You NEED ventilation, or even better, open air.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Solomon

Quote from: Bibbyman on February 07, 2013, 01:42:14 PM
I often complain to Wood-Mizer that they treat their electric mills like red headed stepchildren.  They don't advertise them or expand the electric motor option to many of their mill models.   You can also get an electric motor on the LT40 Super, LT50 and LT70. I don't think a motor is optional on the LT28 or LT35.
I believe Cooks Saw in Alabama has some really nice offerings in electric powered mills.  They are truly awsome people.  Tim Cook has a wealth of knowledge and is always happy to share it with you.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

WIwoodworker

Quote from: waho on February 08, 2013, 04:46:48 PM
In Europe, the only power for an LT 10 is electric.

Not to hijack the thread...but I asked Woodmizer the same question about electric on an lt10 for the same noise reasons asked about in this thread. No dice...the mill won't support the weight of the electric motor. But then they offer electric lt10 in the UK. Doesn't make any sense to me.

http://www.woodmizer.co.uk/main/index.aspx?lc=UK
Peterson 9" WPF

waho

A Baldor 5hp motor weighs about 79lbs, roughly the same as the 10hp gas engine. So Woodmizer is telling you that the 73lb gas is ok, but the 6lb heavier electric is not. Makes sense to me.

Compensation

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 08, 2013, 01:26:30 PM
Quote from: Compensation on February 08, 2013, 10:22:56 AM
You beat me to it, the doors make half the noise.  What's that stuff you refer to? Looks like mine are vibrating at the door posts that fit inside the holes in  the blade housing.

If you go to kmart, walmart, autozone,.... places like that have a roll of camper shell gasket foam for your pickup truck. Nothing special just makes a tighter fit
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

giant splinter

If you could eliminate all of the engine noise from your sawmill, then you could begin working on the noise created by the rest of the mill when its working its way through a log. I am sure that its possible to build a very quiet sawmill and on the same note, the price tag would surely be very tall.
I like the idea of silencing the engines, at the same time ear protection is important and still required around a sawmill under any conditions when you are in the cut.
I suspect that it is of some importance to listen to the mill while it running also as any suspect sounds may give away potential problems as they develop.
roll with it

tyb525

I would want to be able to hear the engine, so I can tell if I am lugging it or if I can go faster.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Al_Smith

You can stick enough muffler on it to quiet it down .Just don't choke it off so bad it won't run worth a hoot .

Don't think you could get-er-done with a little muffler from another small engine though .Get one  off an old Cadillac or something .Large envelope made to hush down 350 cubic inchs or more it should  certainly  hush  a little single cylinder engine I'd think .

I should think with a large intake plus all this baffles it should still breathe okay plus bouncing sound waves off the baffles which tend to cancel the effects of noise would work .Fact you could probabley get one at the local junk yard for nothing as I doubt there's much demand for a used muffler .

Thank You Sponsors!