iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Help identifying some old tools

Started by Timster, April 06, 2017, 08:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timster

I need some help identifying some old tools. My grandfather was a cabinet maker and I have come across some tools that I cant identify. I'm wondering how these tools were used and their purpose. They were in a toolbox that has a large quantity of veneer strips. He did work for Steinway piano doing inlay work so I think these tools have something to do with the inlay work. These have been packed away for about sixty years. I am trying to assemble some tools for timber framing and ventured into this box for some older planes and chisels. I only found small chisels and gouges nothing big enough for timber framing.

These seem to be some kind of special saws

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LeeB

I think the saws were not actually for sawing but to press down the veneer to the sub-strait and bet any bubbles out, know as a veneer hammer.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Don P

Look up French veneer saws, I think that is a couple of them. They also used a toothing plane with hide glue and veneer to provide more surface area and to rough out with that had serrated irons but the only ones I've seen were actual block planes with steep irons.

Timster

Quote from: Don P on April 07, 2017, 07:23:29 AM
Look up French veneer saws, I think that is a couple of them. They also used a toothing plane with hide glue and veneer to provide more surface area and to rough out with that had serrated irons but the only ones I've seen were actual block planes with steep irons.

French veneer saw seems to identify the saws. As far as a toothing planes I have found several irons to mount in the wood planes.

There seems to be a number of different cuts in the plane surfaces fine and not so fine.

Thank You Sponsors!