iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Box wedge splitter

Started by Trapper4977, February 16, 2020, 08:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapper4977

anybody using a box wedge, or similar? Thinking about that for a processor and wondering how much engine and how big of a pump and cylinder, etc... i would need to push green hickory thru it?

OH logger

john

OH logger

john

Gearbox

I would think hard before I used a box for a processer . Takes lots of power and has lots a broken slivers . I built one to do the oversized that wont fit through the processer [18 inch and up ] . Mine does two 6x6 center splits . the pump spends a lot of time in low flow .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Hilltop366

No personal experience but on videos it looks like the "V" shaped ones seem to be having an easier time than the flat ones which may make sense when you think of the way wood splits easier when you split larger wood in those directions with a axe. (Redial verses flat for the second stage or wings of the wedge)

Another benefit of that shape is it keeps the block of wood in the centre of the splitter for the return to re-split.

Japa 435 firewood processor in Paul Bunyan show 2018! - YouTube

Eastonmade Box Wedge Specific 22-28 WHAT IS IT??? - YouTube

Once again no experience just my perception from watching Youtube videos.

hedgerow

Some of the information you left out is what size do you want the splits. Most of these multi wedges where it is a box or multi work nice on straight grain wood like a ash or pine. I find on my home built processor with a seven inch cylinder pushing locust or hedge threw my multi wedge can be hard on the machine. You better have a big check book as others have said you are going to need a lot of power and a lot of iron to make it work. If you are not selling the wood and feeding a OWB you could build the box bigger and the splits won't jam up so bad. I am about to the point with my processor to take it apart and put it back as a normal splitter. Seems like I don't have enough of the right kind of wood to make the processor really work out. 

Trapper4977

I would like to make splits about 4x5x18...

Wysefork

I have a box wedge splitter. I can honestly say it produces two products firewood and kindling. Because of the way it splits, you get a lot of trash such as bark and pieces that are good for kindling. You get less trash with green wood.

47sawdust

This is what I use.It' not a processor but with practice you can make the size you want with less kindling.

Foot actuated ,hyd. log lift.Works great,best splitter i've owned.
Timber Devil: Les fendeuses Labelle

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

stavebuyer

The downfall to all multi-wedge splitters is the wedges are fixed and log sizes and shapes are not. I finally ended up cutting and quartering on my processor and finishing with a Super-Split kinetic. The box wedge and anything over 4 way on a traditional wedge generates a lot of kindling and scraps.

Many people love their Power Split/Timber Devil splitters. They look to be very efficient. I may be biased for no reason but the foot control kind of worries me about having my hand in the wrong place? I guess the same concern applies to the speed of the Kinetic. I have had no mishaps but it wouldn't take much of a miscue to come out missing a few parts I would prefer to keep  with either splitter :o

47sawdust

stavebuyer,I owned a SS and only sold it to get a hyd. log lift.Both splitters can be dangerous.Common sense and a clear head are a must.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

moodnacreek

Quote from: 47sawdust on February 20, 2020, 06:22:47 AM
This is what I use.It' not a processor but with practice you can make the size you want with less kindling.

Foot actuated ,hyd. log lift.Works great,best splitter i've owned.
Timber Devil: Les fendeuses Labelle
Ah ha! Here is a man who knows about the power split style and working with both hands. I knew you where out there somewhere .

BargeMonkey

I've got a 12way on a Bells 6000, the inside set of edges makes a box, its actually slick because it's a 6way half way up. If I was going to copy something that's the style I would go with. Yeah they make kindling, sort of the processor trade off. Tumbler takes care of alot of it, we actually choked the tumbler down because there was 0% kindling in the load and now they where crying about that 😂 

jmur1

Quote from: BargeMonkey on February 20, 2020, 11:13:49 PM
I've got a 12way on a Bells 6000, the inside set of edges makes a box, its actually slick because it's a 6way half way up. If I was going to copy something that's the style I would go with. Yeah they make kindling, sort of the processor trade off. Tumbler takes care of alot of it, we actually choked the tumbler down because there was 0% kindling in the load and now they where crying about that 😂

Hi BargeMonkey:
Do you guys ever have any trouble breaking your wedges? - Are they made from something harder than normal strength structural steel (that you know of)?
Or do you resist running knotted wood through them?  Do they ever bind up on you when running knotty wood?
Im curious because I've been running a homemade unit for almost 5 years now and had several wedge breaks this year. 
Thanks jmur1
Easy does it

BargeMonkey

I've put some 23" oak thru that Bells that would make a man cringe. I honestly avoid the super crunchy stuff but for the most part it ALL goes thru. My built-rite would crack a wedge about every yr but a whole diff animal, the 12way wedge on that Bells weighs almost 500lbs and you set it in with a log truck / picker, no way 2 men can slide one in. 

BargeMonkey

Stuff that thru a set of regular wedges.... 

Thank You Sponsors!