iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How should I prune this young Black Walnut?

Started by Pepe_Silvia, October 27, 2021, 05:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepe_Silvia

Or should I at all?  It's been in the ground about 4 years.  I'd like to focus on it being a saw log primarily over nut production, though I don't imagine it will be in my life. 

Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

Texas Ranger

cut the weaker "leg", idea is to keep a single stem.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Pepe_Silvia

They're pretty equal.  I'll just pick one.  That'll be about 50% of the foliage, is that ok?  Should I wait until it drops its leaves?
Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

beenthere

The stem that curls to the left is the one I would remove (it appears to have a dead leader, and looks to be a side shoot from the main stem).. but would remove it just before the buds break in the spring. Then the cut should not dry back, and start to heal over quicker.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GullyBog

There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

Texas Ranger

In the second picture the front leader appears to be the smaller of the two and would be the one I would cut.  The university of Missouri had a walnut program that I recommend highly, may not be in existence any longer but would be worth a search. 

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/nut-trees/walnut/how-to-prune-walnut-trees.htm

Training Young Walnut Trees: No Pruning/No Heading vs. Minimum Pruning Compared
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Blue Noser

Quote from: Pepe_Silvia on October 27, 2021, 05:44:28 PM
Or should I at all?  It's been in the ground about 4 years.  I'd like to focus on it being a saw log primarily over nut production, though I don't imagine it will be in my life.

I would take 2 or 3 years to slowly prune one side off. Removing half of the foliage in any one year could be a large shock. Take half the foliage off one side this year and the remainder of the stem anther growing season or two.

beenthere

How does this walnut tree look after this summer's growth? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!