iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally, after about 15 years, I finally did it....

Started by Crusarius, October 07, 2022, 04:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

I replaced the lights on my trailer. They went from looking like this (see below)

To looking like this

I even did it right and added a license plate light to be in full compliance.

Hopefully these lights will last alot better than the old junk that was a giant target and always got hit.

Sixacresand

Trailer lights take a beating.  Beat up lights make a trailer look ragged.  Good for you for taking time to replace them.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Crusarius

I always hated using my trailer with sub-par lighting. was so worried someone was going to drive into it. Plus not being able to see it at night got really old.

Brad_bb

Feels good.  Then you wonder why you didn't do it sooner.  Piece of mind. Or Peace of mind.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

SawyerTed

It is a good feeling knowing your trailer lights are working exactly as they should!  As mentioned, good lights sure help a trailer's appearance. 

Trailer lights can be exasperating!  I keep a whole set of replacement lights on hand about all the time.  Between me, my three  adult children, my BIL, the lawn mower and gremlins, it seems I have to redo lights every year or so. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Crusarius

Took me all day. I used the heat shrink solder connectors and a bunch of dielectric grease. so all the joints are sealed and all the grounds are covered in grease.

Should keep this in good working order for years to come. the other lights worked but was always changing bulbs and taping the pieces back on.

moodnacreek

If you ever rewire a trailer start with a box at the hitch end. Run the wire for the tail/markers all the way around the back and back to the box. The r/h turn wire down the r/h side and l/h down the l/h side. You could do 2 blue wires for brakes also. As mentioned solder and heat shrink. The receptacle on the [truck] must be sealed and shieled from tire spray. The 7 pin big truck style last the longest. The push in rubber lights if used with dielectric grease are great, keep spare units in truck.

B.C.C. Lapp

Nobody will believe this but I once had all the lights on all my trailers whole and working at the same time for almost a week.  

That's an 18ft equipment hauler, dump trailer, stock trailer and a deck over flat bed.  

Yeah, I told you you wouldn't believe it. Doubt I'll ever get to that level of efficiency again.  :D
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Crusarius

well, today is the maiden voyage. unfortunately I know the front marker on one side is not working and technically I do not think the LED's have reflectors so I still need to add those to be 100% legal.

Stephen1

Trailer lighting is always a challenge. In Ontario I have to have my Trailer and truck safety inspected every year. I weigh over 10,000 lbs. So every year the shop, owned by my SIL, spend time fixing the trailer lights. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Crusarius

technically there is a yearly inspection on trailers here as well. But most ppl just ignore it and law enforcement has not gotten to enforcing it yet.

So today's run went great. everything still works. It was so nice to be able to see the trailer behind me and have the lights bright enough to reflect off the trailer so I can actually see them working.

Jeff

You don't know how tempting it was for me to swap those two post photos. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Crusarius

caveman

Your new lights look good.  I usually buy a new extension cord to wire my trailers with.  The standard four wire trailer wiring is not incredibly durable.  All of the connections are soldered, which is much easier on new wire and another benefit is that I have a new, spliced together shorter extension cord or a new cord for one of my old Milwaukee power tools that must have had their wire made by the same plant that made wire for Mercury outboards during the 70's and 80's.
Caveman

Crusarius

If I had to rewire the entire trailer I would have use an extension cord. it really is the best way to do it, cleanest, most durable, and easiest.

Good news is the only thing that was bad on the trailer was to old plastic trailer lights. everything else is still in great shape even being used in new york salt.

Next big thing for the trailer is full strip and repaint with good paint. I hate rust!!!

I will probably end up building a new trailer before this one gets painted though.

rusticretreater

An extension cord would work but not meet specifications.  Yes, it has a cover and insulation and all that, but they are not rated for long term outside use and over time the outer covering and internal insulation will give way.  An inspector(if he is doing his job) should fail the electrical system.  Also, if you were to have an accident and it was found that this type of wiring was on the trailer, you could be in trouble.

Any wire used on a trailer should be THWN(W means wet).  You can buy 25' of four color bonded trailer wire for $20.  Put it in some black split conduit and it should last for years and years. Some folks like to use marine wire as its even tougher.  They also use double layer shrink wrap connections.

You can build it good enough, the right way or to the highest standard.  
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Thank You Sponsors!