iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Proper way to set the chain brake?

Started by JDFII, August 14, 2007, 11:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDFII

I did a quick search and didn't find anything about this topic, so I thought I'd post my recent experience:

The other day, after picking berries with the wife I thought I'd throw together a quick load of firewood.  I picked out a nice, downed maple that was close to the road and proceeded to cut.  Between cuts, I have, for the last few years, been setting the brake for safety reasons.  Because it was late in the day, and I wasn't completely focused on the job, I shouldn't have even attemped to get a load of wood, but that's another issue.  Anyways, my habit is usually to hold the saw in my right hand and set the brake with the heel of my left hand.  This technique, until a couple of days ago, worked well.  This time, however, I wasn't wearing gloves and my hands were sweaty, and like I said, I wasn't focused, so when I tried to set the brake, my hand glanced off of the brake handle & went into the chain. 

Luckily, I only received 5 stitches in my left thumb, but I thought I'd share my experience and hopefully save someone else some pain. 

Long story short:  Use your wrist to set the brake while holding onto the saw handle & wear gloves. 

sawguy21

:o Glad to hear it was not worse. I keep finding more ways to hurt myself too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Engineer

I find that a quick snap of the left wrist while pushing the rear handle of the saw down with the right hand, is enough to set the chain brake.  Mine is always set unless the saw is in the wood and cutting.

rebocardo

Sorry to hear about the 5 stitches  :( 

I bet the doctor cost more then a good set of chainsaw gloves. Which is how I look at it everytime I wear a set out. Which at $15 a shot, are not cheap. Though I am not adverse to wrapping worn out tips in duct tape  ;)

Dale Hatfield

Left wrist is the only way. used with the downward push of right hand.
Make sure both thumbs are wrapped around .
Never take more than 2 steps without setting brake.
I have had one set of cut fingers in 15 years and it was a right hand chain brake miss.( students).
(Though I am not adverse to wrapping worn out tips in duct tape  ) Duct Tape isnt a cut resistant material. Please when chaps  and glove wear out or get cut replace with new. Dont mend orpatch back into service. If ya cut them or wear out they lack protection . If damaged remove from service  and replace or stop working.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Thank You Sponsors!