iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sold my sawmill on Monday.

Started by Brucer, April 09, 2006, 02:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucer

When I got into this DanG fool business just over a year ago, I planned on sawing part time during the 3-month peak period during late summer/early fall. I figured I would pick up enough overflow from my well-established competitor to justify buying a manual LT40G28. Typical work was logs 9" to 16", 10' to 16' long -- comfortable enough for that mill.

Things just weren't working out as planned, however, so I let the dealer know my mill was for sale. He pointed a really nice couple from Kelowna my way. They came over to see (and run it) last Saturday. Talked it over on the way home and called that night and told me I had a sale.

I ran the mill over to them on Monday and spent a couple of hours going over the manuals etc. Then it was on up to Salmon Arm to spend the night. Tuesday I dropped in at the dealer's to thank them for helping with my sale. Spent some time helping Marv unpackage a Lathe-Mizer and set it up to demo to a customer. We had a bit of fun playing with it (customer never showed), did some paperwork, and then I hitched up my new LT40HDG28 and headed home. (I kinda set you up for that one, didn't I ;D)

A year ago, the owner of the local timber framing business wasn't interested in buying logs and having them sawn. Too much hassle dealing with the waste and the side lumber. Then he had a chance to pick up a dozen really big Ponderosa Pine logs. My competitor was supposed to cant them up before they started to check. but he wasn't getting around to it. Could I do it? "Sure, I said, if I can crank them up onto my mill." I could -- just barely.

One thing led to another, and I ended up sawing for the timber framer for six weeks in October/November, most of January, and all of March. I'm part way into 3 truckloads of logs and already he's talking about getting in some more. I'll get about 12,000 BF out of each truckload.

The great thing is, I'm not stealing work from my "competitor". This is all work that was done by a commercial mill a couple of hundred miles away.

I'm hoping we'll see Debbie and Andres (owners of my old mill) on the forum one of these days. They've got the web address, but at the moment they don't have reliable internet service.

Meanwhile, I'm having a ball ;D. It's been a year since I last used a hydraulic mill, and that was an older WM with the old-style single-plane clamp. I've also got a debarker to experiment with, and with these logs I need it!

Pics will be forthcoming, as soon as I finish up this roll of film.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Bibbyman

Yep. It seems like nothing happens like it's planned.   :-\

Congratulations on the new mill!  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sawguy21

8)Feast or famine, there seems to be no middle ground. I would like to see your old mill in action if they want to call. A road trip your way might be in order too. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Brucer

Hey, sawguy, I noticed you moved a lot closer not too long ago. You're welcome to drop by anytime -- call ahead if you're thinking of a weekend, though. They seem to be booked up for the next month. I owe Cec a visit to see his mill, too. Might be a chance for a mini-FF gathering.

My old mill will be sitting idle for a few weeks, until the snow melts enough that they can get access to the wood they'll be sawing. (Ha! bet they won't wait that long to saw something :)).  I promised them a day of training when they're ready to go at it, so I'll be back that way in a few weeks.

sprucebunny

Congratulations on the new mill  8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Brucer

Thanks, Joan.

It was fun selling the old one, too. It's exactly the right machine for the couple that bought it, and it's made their 2-year dream come true. Can't ask for better than that.

Tom

That LT40 is a workhorse.  You're gonna like it.  Congratulations on your success.  8)

Brucer

Thanks, Tom. You were an unwitting factor in my success. A couple of years ago I found myself lurking on WoodWeb. I noticed that this guy named "Tom" always had something sensible to say, even when others didn't. One day I realized he had a link, so I followed him home. That led me to the Forestry Forum, and here I be.

I share your business philosophy and it's done me well. My competitor has completely different business ideas and he's hurting for it.

Now I gotta see if I can catch up to Arky ;D.

little-guy

Congrats on the new mill Bruce..sounds like things have really changed for the busier since i popped up to visit you this winter ..Depends on how work is for me (i'm paving again so its busy busy time,still play with my mill on the side though ,never give that up )I might have to pop up and check out your new toy ..
Take care and good luck with the new mill again ..
Cec
you gotta be happy playing with your toys ..mine are ..norwood lumberlite 24 ,743 bobcat and 1950 John Deere 4010 crawler

Thank You Sponsors!