iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Sawyer Revelations...

Started by Tree Feller, April 06, 2012, 10:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I basal sprayed at least a thousand sweetgum saplings today.  MM, I felt that knowing that might just make your day.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 10, 2012, 09:05:01 PM
I basal sprayed at least a thousand sweetgum saplings today.  MM, I felt that knowing that might just make your day.

Now this made me  :D. You can't help but think of MM when you get around SG.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I am a happy man,  :D  but you missed a few.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

There are more sweetgums in South Carolina than there is national debt. Better start hacking and squirting.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

bandmiller2

I wouldn't know a sweetgum if I tripped over one, how far north do they grow.??Are they any good to burn.? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

Sweetgum's natural range contains the Southern States with a little spill-over the Ohio River into Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio, so you will not be tripping over any in your neck of the woods.  It is considered in the lower grade tier for firewood down here compared to other choices like oak and hickory.  It is a little denser than yellow poplar.

tcsmpsi

But, the satisfaction in watching it burn in the stove.... :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Banjo picker

If you aim to burn it in a stove , you better cut it down when its the right size to go in the door, unless you have a hydraulic splitter....It don't have no come apart....twisted grain and just about unsplitable by hand...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Okrafarmer

My experience too. Non-splittable.  And it has this way of rotting before it can dry out enough to burn properly.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

customsawyer

I cut lots of S. G. for the crane mats. It cuts easy, is easy on the blades and I get to do lots of it. I don't have to dry it so with all these things put together I love sweet gum. I have found that it does okay in the wood stove but you need to have a door on your stove as it pops pretty bad.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Customsawyer,

You have the best relationship with sweetgum.  Just saw em and leave em :D.

I have to saw em and live with em  :).

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

You just don't saws them in the first place  ;D.

Magicman

I have and will again, but I hates Sweetgum.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Magicman on April 12, 2012, 08:46:00 AM

I think MM secretly loves it and doesn't want the rest of us to have any. ;)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

pineywoods

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on April 12, 2012, 09:29:22 AM
Quote from: Magicman on April 12, 2012, 08:46:00 AM

I think MM secretly loves it and doesn't want the rest of us to have any. ;)

He can have mine... ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Okrafarmer

If SG were worth money we'd all be rich!'

Oh, except for our poor northerners and westerners who weren't blessed with any.  :'( :'( :'(

tcsmpsi

Ahhh...if only sweetgum balls were marketable.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

steamsawyer

All this talk about sweetgum just makes me want to try it again. I sawed some abot 10 years ago but I don't remember anything special about it.

I'm on the central east coast of Florida, all I ever get around here is PINE... I'm thinking about trying some cabbage palm just to get something differnt.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Magicman

That is some rough looking Pine in the first picture.  Better not try to make 2X4's out of some of them.   :-\

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 12, 2012, 09:40:48 AM
If SG were worth money we'd all be rich!'

Oh, except for our poor northerners and westerners who weren't blessed with any.  :'( :'( :'(

NOW AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

steamsawyer

Quote from: Magicman on April 12, 2012, 02:57:51 PM
That is some rough looking Pine in the first picture.  Better not try to make 2X4's out of some of them.   :-\

The two really knobby ones went in the firebox.  One good thing about the steam engine is that I don't have much waste to deal with. All the slabs and junk wood goes through the boiler. :D :D

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Okrafarmer

cypresskayaksllc

Quote from: steamsawyer on April 12, 2012, 01:33:46 PM
All this talk about sweetgum just makes me want to try it again. I sawed some abot 10 years ago but I don't remember anything special about it.

I'm on the central east coast of Florida, all I ever get around here is PINE... I'm thinking about trying some cabbage palm just to get something differnt.

Alan

I had a guy ask me about cabbage palm the other day. I told him Ive never tried it but Id like to. Read here that it was tough on blades ???

SG grows pretty big around here. I just planted some last year. Sorry MM

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Thank You Sponsors!