iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinions on 2016 Wood-Mizer LT50 with a 47hp Yanmar with 600hrs

Started by Hwy 90 Sawmill, April 04, 2024, 11:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hwy 90 Sawmill

Hello folks.

I frequent this forum hoping to continue my education as a sawyer.  Having access to so much knowledge and experience is awesome.  I hope that some of you will weigh in and help me make a decision on upgrading my mill.

Currently running a 2021 Wood-Mizer LT35 HD with a 25hp Kohler Command Pro.  I purchased this mill from a gentleman in Mississippi about 8 months ago and it was a huge upgrade from the Woodland Mills HM126 Woodlander that I had.  I purchased the LT35 because I started a portable milling business with my son.  I thought there was a market for portable milling in my area and I have not been disappointed.  We are looking to upgrade again.

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2016 Wood-Mizer LT50 with a 47hp Yanmar with 600hrs.  It is not the wide.  Only thing the mill doesn't have that I would add is the Lubemizer and ride-a-long chair.

I would love to hear any opinions ya'll might have about this unit.  

Thanks,
Jason
Hwy 90 Sawmill
Loxley, AL
Jason Pierce

Magicman

Sounds good to me.  I would love to have a wide, but I have been sawing portable for 20+ years without one so.....  It's good to hear that your sawing business is productive and justifying another upgrade.  :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

The Yanmar is a very good engine, I have the 55 HP version and have never been disappointed with it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

If the price is right the diesel will be a major upgrade.  The added productivity from faster hydraulics, chain turner and board return will be very noticeable.

On a new mill the price for a diesel upgrade over 38 hp gas is $11,500.  The jump from 26 hp gas to 47 hp diesel has the potential to double (or more) production. Having the hp to pull 1.5" Turbo 7s or 4 degree bands at speed will surprise you on cutting speed.  The diesel available now is 35.9 hp, I imagine 11 hp is also noticeable. 

I've owned both an LT35 and LT50.  I'm not sure what I like better about the LT50, the diesel, faster hydraulics, chain turner, vertical hydraulic stops, the board return or Accuset 2.

There's a small relearning curve on the hydraulics, there's an extra valve for the chain turner.  Accuset 2 will be an easy adjustment but takes some time learning when to use it's features at the right time. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Rhodemont

I run a LT35hp with the 25HP Kohler.  Moving up to a LT40 with Diesel and additional capabilities would be HUGE for me.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

caveman

We have basically the same mill that you are looking at.  The first 40 hours we ran it, I wanted our lt-28 back.  Since then, it has put a smile on our faces.  The 47 hp Yanmar has been a really good engine and the increased production of hydraulics, Accuset II  and the board drag back has been incredibly beneficial.  If there are two of you working/sawing, you should be able to increase your production over what the LT-35 can saw to make a noticeable difference.  You will have to determine if the juice is worth the squeeze on the price.  Keep us posted.   
Caveman

Hwy 90 Sawmill

I appreciate everyone's input regarding the LT50.  Me and my son Hunter drove over today and gave it a look.  The owner had a log on the mile ready for us to give it a test drive.

I have to say, I was a little disappointed that he had not cleaned the mill up.  We always try to keep our mill looking professional.  He did have a pretty good excuse; triple bypass surgery about a year ago.  The son-in-law is the only person that had run the mill over the past two years, and he did not run it often.

The 47hp Yanmar fired right up and idle fine.  We ran through all of the hydraulics and everything seemed to be in working order.  We engaged the blade and ran through the pine log he had on the mill.  The Yanmar didn't even know that log was in its way.

There were a few cosmetic issues with the mill and a little rust here and there but I think the unit is solid and we will be making an offer.

One last question for now.  I called Wood-Mizer and gave them the serial number for the mill and they pulled it up and told me that they would give it a "Orange-book" value of about $40k.  The seller is asking $48K which seemed high to me to begin with, and I have not made him a counter or try to negotiate a better deal yet.  Is the Wood-Mizer "Orange-book" value an accurate appraisal?

Thanks again for any insight you can provide.

Jason,
Hwy 90 Sawmill
Loxley, AL
Jason Pierce

SawyerTed

A new LT50 with 36 hp diesel is at least $63k with debarker more like $66k before sales tax.

I wouldn't negotiate long if he's firm on price.   Edit: Buy it!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

caveman

I can't give you any advice about price, but I'd rather have the mill you are looking at than a new one.  More HP and less China and less Covid (work ethic and quality control) and no regeneration.  The paint on these machines is substandard anyways.  Allis Chalmers orange is a close match if you need it to look like new money.  
Caveman

Southside

Every now and then, maybe, maybe, twice a year, I will wash down my mill.  I blow it off each day, but I don't let the sap and grime bother me too much if it's only cosmetic. Think of it as a UV protective layer. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I am in my 22nd year of sawing and I doubt that mine has been washed over 5-6 times.  Well hosed off, but it has never seen soap.

The hours on that sawmill seem exceptional and that engine has a very good reputation.  I do not believe that the 47hp is available on that sawmill now.  It's easy for us to spend your $$ but I am just saying that the value is there.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

Hwy 90 Sawmill:
Remember that a seller rarely can go up in price, so s/he has to start from a point s/he can negotiate from that s/he can live with.
44K is the midpoint between the WM # and the sellers asking price.
If you showed up with 44K in "C" notes and waved it at him you might be a new owner.
Good luck.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

tacks Y

90,  I take a look and see approach when I buy or sell. Look up Bright Star auctions they show past results. Try Saw mill exchange, I hate to say them as they are no longer a sponsor here and their prices seem high (seller sets price).  I saw a 50 on Lumbermen Online was a 22 with low hrs and diesel sold for 50+ at  Bright Star but can not find the price again. Talked to a guy a week ago that bought a 40 w/diesel sight unseen at auction. Try FB MP more are showing up. 

I would talk to seller w/40k in mind and explain it is WM suggestion. A real plus close to go see and try.  I am in PA and traveled to MI and OH for mills.

Good Luck.  

Peter Drouin

A 50 with a 47  hp Yanmar with 600 hr. I have a 52hp cat on my 40 supper, they don't make them like that anymore. HP is king. If I was looking for a mill it would be in my yard already. Like GAB said bring c notes.  ffsmiley

But do what you think is best.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Hwy 90 Sawmill

Thanks again for those that posted their thoughts/advice.  After looking at the mill the first time, I came home and did a little more research on the 2016 LT50.  I had a few concerns about the mill so I went on the Wood-Mizer website.  I had the serial number of the mill, looked it up and went through most of the schematics.  Then I called Wood-Mizer again and asked a few more questions.

With my new knowledge I drove back over to Mississippi yesterday and gave the mill another look.  Walked away feeling more confident that this is going to be my "new to me" mill.  The owner wasn't available to make him an offer in person, so I will be speaking with him tomorrow to make him an offer.  Hoping to get the mill for $42k, but I am willing to pay $45k.

I will update y'all when the deal is done.
Jason Pierce

Magicman

cutterboy

Hwy90, good luck to you. If the owner of the mill is a member here he may know you are willing to go to $45k. :uhoh:
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Raym

For what its worth....I purchased a lt40 super with 47hp yanmar (not wide) 3/14 for 40,816.00. Sold it 11/21 for 51,250.00
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Hwy 90 Sawmill

The deal is done.  I spoke with the gentleman selling the LT50 yesterday morning and we agreed on $42k.  I am more that satisfied with that price.

I have a potential buyer driving over from Jacksonville, FL today to look at my LT35 HDG25.  I am asking $30k for it.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I know there are threads in here discussing pros/cons of charging by the BF or by the hour (we currently charge $125/hr, includes the sawyer and a helper), so I am going to find them and see if we should switch to the BF since we now will have a mill that will increase production.
Jason Pierce

Magicman

Congratulations on what I consider a "smoking deal" on the sawmill !!  :thumbsup:

Sawing framing lumber by the bf rate, I exceed the $125 per hour rate and I do not furnish help.  Sawing grade, (1" etc.) the bf & hourly rates are ~equal. 

Because of the above, except on rare occasions, I only saw bf rate and the rate is the same regardless of the cut list/dimensions.

You will find your niche and adjust your sawing rates accordingly.

WV Sawmiller

Jason,

Congratulations.

On the BF vs hourly I'd suggest you have both rates available and apply as need - after clear discussion with the client of course.

Yes, on straightforward sawing on good logs you may make more on BF and still be fair to the customer but if it is custom sawing such as quartersawing or cookies or cabin logs or or resawing or something that will slow you down or possibly be unfair to the client, you can drop back to your hourly rate.

Example: A customer brings you an old hand hewed beam he wants one side edged to make a fireplace mantel. You toss it on the mill, clamp it, make one pass and you are done and the customer is truly ecstatic. I'd feel guilty charging BF rate for that. (In fact I usually don't even charge for such but that is just me.) You can charge hourly or a minimum fee and make decent money and keep the customer happy and ready to come back and send all his friends to you.

Again, always be sure the client knows and agrees to your billing protocol before you make the first cut.

BTW - your BF rate may be from an actual tally or do an estimate on the logs before sawing and use that as long as the customer understands. Lots of times on an actual tally the customer and I will agree on average width of the stack and length of the boards where the rows are not always exact or the length may be off with 8,9 and 10 logs used but the lumber stacked together. The difference in the estimate vs actual dimensions is not enough for either us us to want to use the extra time to do a detailed measurement.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Hwy 90 Sawmill

Thanks again for everyone's input.

I am thankful to those who started this forum years ago.  The information gained here has made me a better sawyer and I will be utilizing this resource for years to come.
Jason Pierce

GAB

Quote from: Hwy 90 Sawmill on April 16, 2024, 06:39:02 AMThe deal is done.  I spoke with the gentleman selling the LT50 yesterday morning and we agreed on $42k.  I am more that satisfied with that price.

I have a potential buyer driving over from Jacksonville, FL today to look at my LT35 HDG25.  I am asking $30k for it.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I know there are threads in here discussing pros/cons of charging by the BF or by the hour (we currently charge $125/hr, includes the sawyer and a helper), so I am going to find them and see if we should switch to the BF since we now will have a mill that will increase production.
When you charge by the hour some customers plan on having help to get the sawing done as it is costing them more if they are slow.  I find that there is more customer incentive when charging by the hour.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WDFL

Did you sell your LT35?  I saw it on the book of faces as pending.  

Anyways good luck to you, sounds like you got a good deal on your LT50 and things are moving along well.   Keep it going.  
LT15(S) w/GO Option
Kubota L2501 HST w/Grapple
Collector of antique 2-cylinder John Deere tractors

Hwy 90 Sawmill

WDFL, yes I did sell my LT35.  Gentleman from south of Jacksonville, FL will be picking it up this Sunday.  I am hoping to pick up my LT50 a few days after that.

Jason Pierce

Thank You Sponsors!