iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small scale, low impact equipment advise

Started by Ludlowlad, March 14, 2020, 11:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ludlowlad

Quote from: Haleiwa on March 15, 2020, 07:18:27 PM
Unless you're in a rush, the Northeast Logging Expo is coming up in Essex Junction on May 15 and 16.  It's a fun show, and they have something for just about every size operation there.
My plan was to attend the Expo. Last year went to the one in Bangor. 
I just want to have a finalized plan when I show up and talk with dealers so I could maybe take advantage of some special pricing. 
Words of wisdom I was told, when you go to the sales man know what your looking for before you get sold on something more than what you need. 

Blue skies ahead

Ludlowlad

Quote from: Bruno of NH on March 15, 2020, 07:10:01 PM

Are you happy with the woody? 
May just be the camera angle but how wide is trailer? 
Thanks 
Blue skies ahead

thecfarm

I try to buy on the large size. Than when I get to using it a year or 2 later, it's just the right size.  ;D Seem like the salesman I get involved in want me to buy a size smaller to make a sale. Some of them have never even used what I am buying.
This is bill m set up

cwood 2010 - DSC00365 -
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ludlowlad

Quote from: thecfarm on March 15, 2020, 08:16:40 PM
I try to buy on the large size. Than when I get to using it a year or 2 later, it's just the right size.  ;D Seem like the salesman I get involved in want me to buy a size smaller to make a sale. Some of them have never even used what I am buying.
This bill m set up

cwood 2010 - DSC00365 -
Do you know if he hauled all that wood with that trailer? Looks like some seriously sized pieces. 
I understand that, just like buying your child a coat that is a little large so when they grow it fits them still. 
Size wise I just want to make sure that it will fit through my existing trails, ideally would not like to expand them if possible.
Blue skies ahead

Bruno of NH

I'm happy with the Woody 
They have added to their model line up since I got mine.
I wish I had got the optioned winch.
The picture it is loaded with red oak.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ludlowlad

Quote from: Bruno of NH on March 15, 2020, 08:50:54 PM
I'm happy with the Woody
They have added to their model line up since I got mine.
I wish I had got the optioned winch.
The picture it is loaded with red oak.
Winch definitely would be handy! Will have to see if they are coming to the Northeast expo 
Blue skies ahead

thecfarm

I have no idea for sure if he hauled all the wood out with that.
This is a thread with a few more pictures.

Small skidder vs. tractor with farmi winch? in Forestry and Logging
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dustyjay

Maybe too small of scale? Also a steep learning curve. Certainly it's low impact.
:D ;D

Proper prior planning prevents pith poor performance

Ed_K

The loader I bought from Bailey's it was rated for 9' reach an 900 pound lift. Over the yrs I've modified it to reach 13' and lift 1500lb. I wouldn't buy another without at least 16' reach. It's just to hard to get close enough to pick the logs up with out winching them closer. The trailer is a flex 320 I can not remember the maker it's from Canada also. Outside to outside wheel track is around 6'. The bolsters have been bent up bad while loading.Their built with to thin of steel. This is what they call a center pole look for a double frame I think that would be stronger.
 I hope to get to the forestry expo.
Ed K

78NHTFY

Reading from my spec sheet:P PATU "525" has 16' reach and 1500 lbs; load capacity is 17600 lbs; load bed length 11'6", so can do 16' logs; load area is 21.5 ft2; PATU "80" trailer weight is 3680 lbs (2180 lbs +1500 lbs with grapple, rotator, control valve & stabilizers), total width 6'10", ground clearance 20.5".  What I really like is ability to twitch logs to edge of my lanes, then go out with PATU/Case 695 4wd (70hp) and lift full log with grapple over my trailer, cut, set log length into trailer, pull more log over trailer, etc until fully bucked up and in trailer.  Minimizes damage to the my woods as I'm not pulling around at an angle.  All the best, Rob.

If you have time, you win....

Ludlowlad

Quote from: dustyjay on March 16, 2020, 07:56:22 AM
Maybe too small of scale? Also a steep learning curve. Certainly it's low impact.
:D ;D

God bless, thank you for keeping a tradition alive! I wish I was able to be around full time to be able to even consider.
Blue skies ahead

Ludlowlad

Quote from: 78NHTFY on March 16, 2020, 11:03:00 AM
Reading from my spec sheet:P PATU "525" has 16' reach and 1500 lbs; load capacity is 17600 lbs; load bed length 11'6", so can do 16' logs; load area is 21.5 ft2; PATU "80" trailer weight is 3680 lbs (2180 lbs +1500 lbs with grapple, rotator, control valve & stabilizers), total width 6'10", ground clearance 20.5".  What I really like is ability to twitch logs to edge of my lanes, then go out with PATU/Case 695 4wd (70hp) and lift full log with grapple over my trailer, cut, set log length into trailer, pull more log over trailer, etc until fully bucked up and in trailer.  Minimizes damage to the my woods as I'm not pulling around at an angle.  All the best, Rob.

Sounds like the way to do it and keeps you on the trail. So you don't have to make big turns. I have made "mini" landings every few hundred feet to I can back my winch across the trail and pull the logs to the main trail. Similar but a lot more work. 
The more testimony that I get forwarding trailers are the way to go. Now to just narrow down the make, model, and add-ons. 
I forget now which trailer I saw that had hydraulic drive, what they called 4 wheels drive. Definitely an interesting option. 
Thanks for sharing !! 
Blue skies ahead

Ludlowlad

Wish we could all be like this guy in this interesting machine. 
Blue skies ahead

thecfarm

Ludlowlad,I wonder what would happen if he grabbed on to one 2 feet across!! Would work great for my firewood now. I could cut the bigger wood into 4 foot lengths. Who's buying it for me?  :D

dustyjay,and it's a lot quieter too.  ;D

Ludlowlad

Quote from: thecfarm on March 16, 2020, 08:34:33 PM
Ludlowlad,I wonder what would happen if he grabbed on to one 2 feet across!! Would work great for my firewood now. I could cut the bigger wood into 4 foot lengths. Who's buying it for me?  :D

dustyjay,and it's a lot quieter too.  ;D
Doing some research, I found that picture and was like crap that thing is small. 
Blue skies ahead

Skeans1

That's a pre commercial thinning machine and honestly what you're talking about it would push that machine well past it's designed usage. Something to think about is more trips with something lighter better then something that might get the job faster or in one turn?

Ludlowlad

Quote from: Skeans1 on March 16, 2020, 09:47:39 PM
That's a pre commercial thinning machine and honestly what you're talking about it would push that machine well past it's designed usage. Something to think about is more trips with something lighter better then something that might get the job faster or in one turn?
What is the ideal machine, I definitely don't know, trying to see what is out there. My biggest restraint is my trails are 6' - 8' wide and that is one of my largest concerns is to to carry on those same size trail. 
The Terri machine is probably a machine that costs 100,000 maybe more? A six figure investment in 1 machine is maybe more than what I am ready to swallow. If I could find a machine that would do everything, which I think is hard (with my restrictions), I would entertain the idea with some serious thought. 
Being practical, I am looking for a equipment for a job that I probably conduct about 35-45% of yearly worked time. If I was a full time thinner then I might already have the 1 and done machine. 
Blue skies ahead

Skeans1

Best way to put it is you need something a little bit bigger for your planned work. You can stagger your cutting to allow a little bigger machine well creating a look of a smaller trail, when it comes to corners you don't cut them you cut spurs off the main trail if needed. Laying out a job is a much of an art as cutting the job the itself.

g_man

Quote from: Ludlowlad on March 16, 2020, 07:16:46 PM
Reading from my spec sheet:P PATU "525" has 16' reach and 1500 lbs; load capacity is 17600 lbs; load bed length 11'6", so can do 16' logs; load area is 21.5 ft2; PATU "80" trailer weight is 3680 lbs (2180 lbs +1500 lbs with grapple, rotator, control valve & stabilizers), total width 6'10", ground clearance 20.5".  What I really like is ability to twitch logs to edge of my lanes, then go out with PATU/Case 695 4wd (70hp) and lift full log with grapple over my trailer, cut, set log length into trailer, pull more log over trailer, etc until fully bucked up and in trailer.  Minimizes damage to the my woods as I'm not pulling around at an angle.  All the best, Rob.

Sounds like the way to do it and keeps you on the trail. So you don't have to make big turns. I have made "mini" landings every few hundred feet to I can back my winch across the trail and pull the logs to the main trail. Similar but a lot more work.
The more testimony that I get forwarding trailers are the way to go. Now to just narrow down the make, model, and add-ons.
I forget now which trailer I saw that had hydraulic drive, what they called 4 wheels drive. Definitely an interesting option.
Thanks for sharing !!
That tractor/forwarder set-up that thecfarm posted the link to in post #27 has hydraulic drive. It belonged to BillM or billm IIRC. You could look at his posts and gallery. he was very knowledgeable in equipment of that type and worked commercially. I believe I remember him stating that the hydraulic drive was almost a necessity for winter work in the snow.
gg

Ludlowlad

Quote from: g_man on March 17, 2020, 10:50:30 AM
Quote from: Ludlowlad on March 16, 2020, 07:16:46 PM

Thanks for sharing !!
That tractor/forwarder set-up that thecfarm posted the link to in post #27 has hydraulic drive. It belonged to BillM or billm IIRC. You could look at his posts and gallery. he was very knowledgeable in equipment of that type and worked commercially. I believe I remember him stating that the hydraulic drive was almost a necessity for winter work in the snow.
gg
Awesome thanks will definitely look back at that and gallery. 
Blue skies ahead

John Mc

Be prepared for some sticker shock when you price one of those Vimek forwarders you mentioned. Even the small ones are really expensive.

I'm hoping the logging expo still happens with the whole virus scare going on now. All of our schools are closed down (currently our local schools are closed till April 6, but there is a lot of speculation that this will be extended). Restaurants are closing or switching to takeout only.

From your name, I'm guessing you are in Ludlow, VT. I purchased a lightly used Metavic M95 forwarding trailer a year and a half ago from a guy down your way (in the boondocks south of Bridgewater). It's too small for what you want to do, but it has worked well for me so far. It matches my compact tractor and mid-sized pickup truck nicely. It has the self contained hydraulics, powered by a small Honda engine, so I can use it behind a pickup truck as well as with my tractor (not dependent on tractor hydraulics to operate). It has a winch with about 100' of cable, which comes in really handy. I have a logging winch, but generally don't have it on when pulling the forwarding trailer. Having that winch makes it a whole lot easier when loading - I don't have to pull up right next to each individual log. The previous owner also had electric brakes put on it when he purchased it. He had a brake controller from an old pickup that he hooked up, and just ran the brake lever manually when needed. With a larger tractor, that probably wouldn't be needed. But with a compact tractor, and running on our hills it the previous owner said it comes in handy (I still haven't hooked a controller up on my tractor yet, but I do appreciate the brakes when towing with my mid-size pickup). No hydraulic drive - It was not an option on this model, but most of my hills are not severe, and with the lighter loads, I've not had a problem so far. Since I'm not doing this for a living, I have the luxury of just not working when conditions get too gnarly.

I'm in Monkton, VT. If you want to stop by on your way up to the Logging Expo, you'll pass within a few miles of my place if you are coming up Rt 7. Happy to show you mine. As I said, too small for your needs, but it will give you an idea of Metavic's build quality, if you are considering one of their larger units. I also have a friend up in Lincoln who has a larger forwarding trailer which he pulls with a 60 HP (?) tractor. I think his is a Woody as well. I'm sure he'd be happy to let you check it out, if you wanted. Just let me know.

There are a number of people around here using a tractor in the woods. Even if you intend to stay on prepared trails, it's a good idea to install a belly pan and grill guard, and possibly engine guarding and operator protection as well. There is a fabrication guy a couple miles from me who is a genius with this type of guarding. He puts a lot of thought into his designs, suggesting small features I would not have even thought to ask for. HAppy to make that introduction as well, if you are interested (and might be able to arrange for you to see a larger tractor than mine that he did a nice custom install on).

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ludlowlad

Quote from: John Mc on March 17, 2020, 04:17:52 PM
Be prepared for some sticker shock when you price one of those Vimek forwarders you mentioned. Even the small ones are really expensive.

I'm hoping the logging expo still happens with the whole virus scare going on now. All of our schools are closed down (currently our local schools are closed till April 6, but there is a lot of speculation that this will be extended). Restaurants are closing or switching to takeout only.

From your name, I'm guessing you are in Ludlow, VT. I purchased a lightly used Metavic M95 forwarding trailer a year and a half ago from a guy down your way (in the boondocks south of Bridgewater). It's too small for what you want to do, but it has worked well for me so far. It matches my compact tractor and mid-sized pickup truck nicely. It has the self contained hydraulics, powered by a small Honda engine, so I can use it behind a pickup truck as well as with my tractor (not dependent on tractor hydraulics to operate). It has a winch with about 100' of cable, which comes in really handy. I have a logging winch, but generally don't have it on when pulling the forwarding trailer. Having that winch makes it a whole lot easier when loading - I don't have to pull up right next to each individual log. The previous owner also had electric brakes put on it when he purchased it. He had a brake controller from an old pickup that he hooked up, and just ran the brake lever manually when needed. With a larger tractor, that probably wouldn't be needed. But with a compact tractor, and running on our hills it the previous owner said it comes in handy (I still haven't hooked a controller up on my tractor yet, but I do appreciate the brakes when towing with my mid-size pickup). No hydraulic drive - It was not an option on this model, but most of my hills are not severe, and with the lighter loads, I've not had a problem so far. Since I'm not doing this for a living, I have the luxury of just not working when conditions get too gnarly.

I'm in Monkton, VT. If you want to stop by on your way up to the Logging Expo, you'll pass within a few miles of my place if you are coming up Rt 7. Happy to show you mine. As I said, too small for your needs, but it will give you an idea of Metavic's build quality, if you are considering one of their larger units. I also have a friend up in Lincoln who has a larger forwarding trailer which he pulls with a 60 HP (?) tractor. I think his is a Woody as well. I'm sure he'd be happy to let you check it out, if you wanted. Just let me know.

There are a number of people around here using a tractor in the woods. Even if you intend to stay on prepared trails, it's a good idea to install a belly pan and grill guard, and possibly engine guarding and operator protection as well. There is a fabrication guy a couple miles from me who is a genius with this type of guarding. He puts a lot of thought into his designs, suggesting small features I would not have even thought to ask for. HAppy to make that introduction as well, if you are interested (and might be able to arrange for you to see a larger tractor than mine that he did a nice custom install on).
Yea I am from there, quiet area most of the time but currently it is overrun with people flocking away from the cities.
Yea, hopefully things work out before the expo, but will have to wait and see.
Appreciate the opportunity and once I am back in VT I might take you up on that.
Depending on the location I use either one of a couple tractors up (50 or 90hp) or shovel dozer (jd350 or cat 919). More recently I have been using the shovel dozer.
With this in mind I have been considering the following for a trailer:
-self contained for variance in equipment
-hydraulic drive
-reach length, maybe extenda hoe style
-fold down or extend down legs
-length of trailer
I think the best bet is to visit some machines in person in the field if I can and then go to the expo I can and talk with some dealers.
The discussion about operator protection was the next topic I was going to make on the forums. I have operated some large excavators with front screen protection when using a jack hammer but all my current machines don’t have any sort of added protection. Something that I need to change for sure.
Always looking for recommendations of either bolt on or ideas for custom forestry protection ideas. Equipment: JD35, JD 60, JD 350, CAT D4, CAT 919, NH T5050, NH TC45, Oliver 1950 series

P.S. got a call back from the Vimek dealer and he said a new bicombi machine delivered to my door was $300,000 definitely caught me off guard. Unless I found a used machine for CONSIDERABLY less that’s out of the question. Realizing a trailer is more my speed. I have, or have access to a variety of equipment depending on the time of year and work flow. Nothing wrong with old equipment, maintained well and serviced can compete with new to the level that I need. 
Blue skies ahead

Skeans1

Figure a good 100K+ is in the harvester head alone couple that with a machine that really has no market in North America it's going to be an expensive machine. Just an idea this machine is narrower then a Vimek from memory and you're still at 10 feet wide on the row it just depends on planting as well as how the row trees look from the beginning. If we went out and measured most of the guys running tractors with the forwarder trailers I'm willing to bet most are right around 10 foot wide, running our full sized gear most of our trails aren't much wider then that.
https://youtu.be/gVyGx9kXrKs

John Mc

I assume you are looking for an off-road trailer.

Woody has already been mentioned. It and Metavic were two of the makes on my short list. I was looking for small and lightweight, and they had what I thought were two of the models that fit my needs best. Both companies make larger sizes that would be a better match for the tractors you mentioned.

Here's a link to Metavic's off road forwarding trailers. (Not too far a drive from the Expo.) You'd probably be looking at one of their 1400 - 1600 series (or possibly their 1150). Pete's Equipmentin Morrisville, VT sells them. I believe they have one of the 1150 series in stock.

Woody Equipment Log Loaders and Trailers

I hear Farma makes some good equipment as well, but I have not seen any of their stuff in our area yet.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ed_K

Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!